Lovely Peugeot 307cc of strange electrical faults and peculiarites - £500

Alanism

307 Convertible of delight and pulsating pleasure

Firstly.. I know its not really typical good-old-fashioned shite.  It is French though.  And has issues.  So its almost good to go.   

Here is the "copied from ebay" advert.  Nothing added, nothing removed. 

I know swap(z) are not cool.  I know modern cars are not cool.  So if anybody wishes to offer me something old, shitey and automatic I may be interested.  That is probably my real motivation for sticking it up on Autoshite.

Here comes the blurb...

Here is my 307 Manual. I purchased this as a bit of a "seems like a good idea" moment and it is really no use to me.  You may remember that once upon a time I had a lovely Honda from this very forum.  After some swappery I ended up with this.  I don't like it for a number of reasons.  One of the key reasons is its a manual.

It has MOT till late February next year. When I purchased the car I saw that it had a airbag light on. The seller informed me that this was the steering wheel airbag having a loose wire so it needed either a new airbag or a repair being made.

It turns out it doesn't have that fault at all. Since I have purchased the car it has been plugged into Peugeot diagnostics and it has a fault with the roll over bars at the rear of the car. Looking at them the fault is that they have been triggered on one side (not both).

I know there are lots of guides ion how to switch off airbag lights online but I would prefer to fix it properly and really do not have the skills to do so.

The car drives well.

I have also been advised that the mileage is significantly lower that what is on the clocks. This is because the previous owner changed the BSI unit on the car and didn't reset the mileage. The MOT history sort of backs this up. The mileage seems to be out by about 30k.

The car has a full black leather interior, air conditioning, CD multi-changer and its a pretty nice place to be. The engine pulls and runs well. Gearbox all fine.

Essentially - sort the (apparently common) problems and you've got a good cheap convertible or a few extra quid if you sell it.

Roof goes up and down fine.

Car has some marks all round.

Windscreen has a small chip on edge.  I don't know how long it has been there (i didn't see it when I purchased it) but hasn't got any bigger.

Feel free to come and have a look at the car.  In the time I have owned the car it has not failed to start and has been used up and down the motorway and a45 between Coventry and Grimsby a few times.

Although not really relevant I do have PP2000 if anybody wants to plug it in a check it over electronically.

Exactly. I have no idea why only one side is up.

Error with Country of Origin

I think these look alright, really. Certainly nicer than any other 307 variant, and in fact all early 00's Peugeots I can think of. Nicer colour than the silver and blue that 99% of them are too.

Good luck. Hopefully there's a cheap fix for the rollover stuff.

I would bear in mind that when there is an airbag fault, it has probably written the fault to the airbag ecu which will need to be changed also.  The ecu is probably coded to the car.  The ecu normally needs to be changed as they have write once memory, a fine piece of built in obsolescence.  People do change the chips on the ecu but that is well beyond most people (including me).

None of this is really that difficult if you know what you are doing or find someone to help.  I had to sort the airbag light issue on a French car of a similar age, and it did get a bit complicated I must admit.

Please bear in mind also that my experience is very limited and others will know far more!

I would bear in mind that when there is an airbag fault, it has probably written the fault to the airbag ecu which will need to be changed also. The ecu is probably coded to the car. The ecu normally needs to be changed as they have write once memory, a fine piece of built in obsolescence. People do change the chips on the ecu but that is well beyond most people (including me).

None of this is really that difficult if you know what you are doing or find someone to help. I had to sort the airbag light issue on a French car of a similar age, and it did get a bit complicated I must admit.

Please bear in mind also that my experience is very limited and others will know far more!

I know there is a whole host of ways to switch off the warning light but I would hate anything to happen involving injuries due to an airbag missing in a collision. Im convinced modern cars are made softer as the various protection systems should keep people safe. Removing them leaves people in the car exposed to significant injuries. This car has plastic wings!

This is the newest car I have ever owned .. I've never had to worry about airbags before.

The ECUs seem to store crash data and then need resetting. I have wondered if they just need clearing out. Too much for me im afraid.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk