Shite battery chargers (the Bradex thread)

Wilko220

Isn't it supposed to be at 14v or so to be properly charging a lead acid anyway?

Alas it's nearer 15.5v

I remember getting my first multimeter and measuring the voltage from my Dad's Crypton - I was horrified it was 18v - but I was forgetting that was with no load.  Once connected to a car battery it came down to about 15. 

i bought a battery charger many years ago, it didn't even occur to me to just buy a new sodding battery that isn't a pain in the arse that needed charging every day.  I eventually gave up charging it and just parked facing downhill so I could start in using momentum.  I also was fit enough then to get enough speed in the works carpark on the flat to jump in do that.

I then discovered that the price of batteries wasn't as bad as I thought.  Life before the internet was shit for finding out how much things cost when you didn't have a phone (landline) or a mobile.  This was only 1997 for fucks sake.  It's like it's another world now looking back.

Edit:  I buy a battery when euro car prats have a 30% offer and have put a new bosch in every car on the drive now, so apart from those that get drained down by the clocks, everything starts first time.

First proper cold day of the year and I had to press the battery charger into service,

post-3747-0-03803600-1481023867_thumb.jpg

And because one charger is never enough have anther two.

post-3747-0-56665000-1481023939_thumb.jpg

The black one is a well worn Lucas and the second absaar is newer than the first note the mirror image design to keep you on your toes, I gave the starter charger one away as it was shit.

Well it wasn't too difficult to reach at the back of the man cave when I went out. Unfortunately I don't have the free wall bracket or instructions and it's stuffed with asbestos (intact), but they styling is ace. Works perfectly.

31125864362_311b58b59e_z.jpg

Davenset High Discharge 12V Battery Tester 01 by E Honda, on Flickr

31155290541_7504f55fdd_z.jpg

Davenset High Discharge 12V Battery Tester 02 by E Honda, on Flickr

30448539914_793e51310d_z.jpg

Davenset High Discharge 12V Battery Tester 03 by E Honda, on Flickr

31155289701_f3767a5487_z.jpg

Davenset High Discharge 12V Battery Tester 04 by E Honda, on Flickr

Reminds me of Star Trek Phasers Beam me up Scotty

How about this, an antique Jump Pack by Max Amp Not sure how to use it as has no instructions and when I connected it up it started smoking and I don't mean having a fag!!

Don't want to skip it so if anyone knows how to use it please let me know

How bad was the smoke?

Smoke is like blood for electrical things - there's only so much in there, if you let it all out the thing dies, but a bit can be like a flesh wound.

Not too bad just a wee cloud and that lovely burning smell. Thankfully I was close enough to disconnect it straight away. But now after seeing whats on here I may have a go at giving Max Amp (Secret Agent) Max Power and try plugging it in over the weekend photos to follow!!

• 2 weeks later...

In 1978 I worked for Keland Electronics Blaydon Nr Newcastle. The BRADEX 10 was one of my projects as a young apprentice, I designed the transformer and made the prototype that went on to be manufactured by kelands for Bradville in their thousands. Seeing the pics brought back some memories. Yes it had a cheasy wood finish case and the selenium rectifiers would fail and stink, but they worked if you got a good one.

In 1978 I worked for Keland Electronics Blaydon Nr Newcastle. The BRADEX 10 was one of my projects as a young apprentice, I designed the transformer and made the prototype that went on to be manufactured by kelands for Bradville in their thousands. Seeing the pics brought back some memories. Yes it had a cheasy wood finish case and the selenium rectifiers would fail and stink, but they worked if you got a good one.

Brilliant! Any idea what became of the two companies?

• 1 year later...

Can we start a club?

Here's mine

attachicon.gifBradex-Sigma-6-Battery-Charger-6V-12V.jpg

Was my dads before,and was no doubt a bootsale buy in the 1980s.never gone wrong,and has 6v charging!

Club member number 2

I used my 1980s Bradex Sigma6 last weekend to charge the battery on my bike. The last time I used the charger was over 20 years ago. Reliable or what ?bf64305158a12bb1d62da21610347641.jpg04c16061844a75c5e449f86677f1c2c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Can we start a club?

Here's mine

attachicon.gifBradex-Sigma-6-Battery-Charger-6V-12V.jpg

Was my dads before,and was no doubt a bootsale buy in the 1980s.never gone wrong,and has 6v charging!

Number 2 in the club.

I bought mine in the 1980s and used it recently to charge my bike battery. I hadn't used it in 20 years but it worked just fine.b23be716f52880f524013483f2cfcdb6.jpgc9d56855cafe1768ff20391e4d08fd39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And I've a couple of old Selmars like this myself, I think they both had original brown boxes slid into paper sleeves:

attachicon.gifSelmar_Car_Battery_Charger_6V_12V_02.jpg

If I can be arsed, I'll dig out my shite battery tester out of the shed for photographing.

The old man had a Selmar just like that up to a few years ago; I assume the smoke escaped as he replaced it with a giant SIP thing with supposed boost capability. I'll ask what happened to it as it looked old when I first remember seeing it in the 80s. I've also got an ancient Crabtree that was rescued from a skip somewhere, probably from the 40s or 50s by the look of it and it's got a 2v setting as well as 6v & 12v. Will attempt to find it and photograph for autoshite posterity.

I always run diesel cars and they always have big batteries, so I try and keep the batteries in good order and replace them when they get tired.

Having said that, modern batteries go from being fine to knackered instantly.

The old 60's and 70's batteries would carry on being supported by a charger or push starting for ages till you had saved up for a new one.

With all the electronics cars have these days not following the sometimes complicated instructions on how to change a battery can cause electrical mayhem!  Peugeot and Citroen owner will know this.

My diesel C3 has a procedure that is fairly complicated and even then after the reset you still often have to re-learn the electric windows and 

retune the radio and set the clock.

Years ago when I drove for a local coach company they had a Bedford Coach that when you changed the fuel filters was always a real pig to bleed

up and get running.

It was so predictably bad that they would leave the filters till it showed signs of running badly before changing the fuel filters.

One day I turned up after dinner to be asked to lend a hand to try and get this thing started with it's new filters on.

The batteries were in the floor just behind the drivers seat in the central gangway.

The garage Absaar Starter/ charger was already connected and set on maximum boost.

My instructions were once the engine started firing keep it going on the starter till it revved up.

The other operator was feeding the easy start into the air cleaner box.

After many repeated attempts where the engine would be actually running at a speed slightly above tickover for 30/40 seconds on just easy start 

we were still battering the stater motor as soon as the engine came to rest.

Watching the exhaust tail pipe in the mirror I could see nothing at all coming out when it ran on the easy start, it was as clean as a whistle.

After a prolonger period of cranking puff of black were appearing meaning it was starting to inject diesel.

it began trying to run by itself on diesel fuel but I still had the key switch heat over, the throttle floored when I noticed the battery charger has

burst into flames.

With one hand I tried to unplug it from the extension cable, pulled the charger towards me pulling the crocodile clips off the batteries and threw it

still burning out the entrance door.

The engine was still stuttering and undecided if it was going to pick up or stop but still running, suddenly it let out a big belch or diesel

smoke and revved right up to the governed speed.

After a few blips on the pedal I let the engine return to idle.

The other guy comes to the cab window and says, "Is that burning smell the starter?"

"No The Battery Charger has just committed Hair Kari" I replied.

"Bloody cheap shite" He replied.

I thought it wanted a decent burial after such a traumatic end and for it's valiant effort.

I've also got an ancient Crabtree that was rescued from a skip somewhere, probably from the 40s or 50s by the look of it and it's got a 2v setting as well as 6v & 12v. Will attempt to find it and photograph for autoshite posterity.

This will be from the days of open bar batteries where you could test and charge each cell individually.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...