Mondeo man in a tracksuit- ST24 estate FOR SALE £200

HMC

After browsing idly on the t'interweb at lunchtime one thing lead to another and I found myself over the border in Cornwall looking at (and inevitably becoming the owner of) a mondeo st24 estate. I must admit I only thought these came in hatchback form, but every days a school day and apparently not. It's a sort of gunmetal colour, has plenty of toys, my favourites being the 2.5v6 engine and manual gearbox. Iam quite partial to a ford heated front screen as well. Will report back if it works. Was this v6 the building block for the Aston v12 of the late 90's I seem to remember? Certainly sounds good tucked under the slightly ugly (and grubby) nose of this facelift car. I had a cracking drive back over the border to Devon but fading light and pressing domestic duties meant I didn't have much time to get any decent pics.post-4673-0-20680700-1480186887_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-72509500-1480186904_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-38001200-1480186928_thumb.jpg

Ooof, I had a 2.0 zetec estate of the same vintage and that was decidedly rapid, probably one of the best cars I've owned to be honest. was on 130k when I bought it and sold to my brother-in-law 25k later. It managed 40mpg on a run too, and 125mph (indicated) on an autobahn when taking my brother and his band on their last European tour.

The st24 must be a superb bit of kit, especially in estate form. Watch the rear arches, mine was immaculate under my ownership but went from well cared for and in good shape to so-fucked-even-webuyanycar-only offered-£80 within about 15 months. It was sad to watch it being neglected to death, via a car-park prang and being impounded by the local constabulary due to an insurance mix-up, costing £200 to break it out of the pound and £600 (I think) in fines. t'was a shame.

I lived in fear of it needing a clutch doing, otherwise a superb vehicle and massively underrated.

The rear arches were worse on the later ones. Usual areas are arches, ends of sills, inner arch tubs where they meet the boot floor. Get ready for the annual wishbone arm replacement. I tried both Lemforder and Q drive arms, both lasted the same. The ford arms lasted longest, but finding some NOS ones now will be tricky. Ditto the droplinks another what felt like annual job.

I had a couple of Mondeo V6 - an ST24 and a Ghia - when I worked for Ford. I never really liked them, to be honest; they weren't really all that fast, and what speed they had didn't justify the thirst. Then again, I seemed to be rowing against the tide, 'cos everyone else in the office seemed to love them.

I had a couple of Mondeo V6 - an ST24 and a Ghia - when I worked for Ford. I never really liked them, to be honest; they weren't really all that fast, and what speed they had didn't justify the thirst. Then again, I seemed to be rowing against the tide, 'cos everyone else in the office seemed to love them.

I thought the same about mine when pootling around town, on a run out it was lovely though and nearly 40mpgs

Multiple electrical faults and rust got it in the end, but that was no surprise with a Ford

It was. It's taken me this long to work out RSAP must stand for RS Appearance Pack.

I always rather liked the non-Ghia 24v Mk1 Mond. Quite the sleeper in its standard hubcaps. My neighbour had one a decade ago. I seem to recall it overheated a lot. Am I right in thinking the water pump is a bit of a bugger to get to?

The water pump is a piece of cake to get to, on front right side of the engine, it's probably one of the only jobs that isn't a total bastard to be honest

The issue is they have plastic impellers which were prone to breaking up, over heating and then HGF which, due to the complexity of replacing them, was usually deemed fatal. Even Ford used to replace the engine rather than the head gaskets because it was cheaper!

It's worth replacing it if it's never been done. I don't know if the Mk3 units will fit but they're supposedly a revised design and much less prone to failure (although still plastic)