Longbridge future

Dick Longbridge

Well, that's that then. What's the future of Longbridge? To be a carbon copy of most other towns/city parts around the UK with a set of offices owned/run by private firms, housing estates, some new 'aspirational' housing surrounded by a load of council sink estates, a retail park which will eventually kill off any smaller shops and become a convenient 'hub' of the community. The name of BMC/Austin/Rover/MG etc... the building of cars in Longbridge will cease to exist and be nothing more than a bad memory.

Those in power have wanted kill off car building in Longbridge for years, it somehow became a blot on the landscape, an embarrassing reminder of yesteryear in todays modern world of technological paper-pushing and sales consultancy. I never really thought that the Chinese take over by SAIC or whoever was a real effort to save Longbridge, it's workers and car building there, more a vanity project, a badge to claim that thier cars "designed and nailed together in England" and probably a synical way of slowly winding down car building there until it completely ceases to exist.

The developers themselves have admitted though it could take another two decades to finish the redevelopment!  I know people will still need houses but in 20 years retail parks could be as much of a memory as prototype Metros on road test. 

[quote

Errr, which forums were they lurking on in the '70s, '80s and most of the '90s? ;-)

The one with the adverts for swapping your Mrs.

post-7547-0-64331800-1484612805_thumb.jpg

I saw a comic at the Longbridge social club actually do that gag about the Metro's roomy boot (holds 20 gallons). It was mid 80's and it went down well. So did the one about-- thankyou and goodnight.