So got 4 tyres fitted. Some lovely Goodyear F1s. Despite doing a good 30 miles on them so far, the new tyre markers haven't worn off yet. I guess because they're so lightly loaded.
Also got the new spare key cut by the local key cutters. The guys son quizzed me over how I managed to program it in. Also winged about it being a cheap Chinese key made out of crap metal and that they need to square it up really well in their key cutting machine. Anyway they did it for £15 and it seems to work. In one way, it does require a bit of a jiggle in the lock before it turns. Probably normal stuff with a new key and worn locks I imagine - a bit like house keys. The other side of the key works just fine though.
I feel much happier now I have 2 keys. Especially as they're known to go out of sync and the immobiliser refuses to recognise certain keys on occasions.
Yesterday in between the showers I had a bit of a fiddle trying to leak proof it.
One of the big leak areas is around the wing mirrors. I removed the inside trim cover to find that the rubbery seal bit at the bottom had gone rock hard.
I pulled it off and cleaned the surface. I didn't want to reseal this with tigerseal or silicone sealant, as I may have to remove this bit again if I need to remove the door card. So I used some of that rubber stick on door draft sealing stuff. I also removed the wing mirror and repositioned it so it correctly pushed on the seals.
After reassembling I covered the inside screw holes with a small bit of insulation tape (currently brown until I find my black stuff...) - otherwise it will leak through the screw hole area!
I also removed the door sealing strip that the last owner helpfully* installed to try and stop leaks.
To be honest I'm pretty sure it was causing more problems than solving!
I then gave the seals a good spraying of silicon lube. I plan to get some proper seal rejuvenater (popular on VAG soft-tops) to try and make them work a bit better. These rejuvenaters seem to make the rubber swell a bit and soften them up which improves the sealing.
Finally I spent another hour with brake cleaner, gt85 and a pot of Castrol grease, cleaning and lubricating the soft top roof rails. As per this guide:http://www.evilution...p_servicing.htm
Unfortunately, as usually the case for me, I go wild with lubrication and get it everywhere! I then spent another half hour trying to get the marks off the fabric on the seats. Still a bit of staining on the driver's seat back that I'll have to reattack later.
Now the roof runs great! Previously it would struggle and jam. The only thing you have to do now is when it's on the way back up, make sure the top pops outwards. Otherwise the seals don't properly seat and the mechanism jams + stops.
This was yesterday. Over night and today we've had heavy showers with windy weather. Looking this evening, the speaker grill areas and roof beams which were getting soaked and letting a whole streams of water in are now completely dry!! I don't want to call it fixed, but it's a massive improvement.
Now I just need to figure a way to dry the sodden carpets. Dehumidifier boxes don't seem to be even touching it. Probably need to get some decent heat in there.
Fingers crossed that it will stay much drier now.
Oh and I also gave it a really good vacuum out. Amazing how much nicer a car feels when the floor & interior isn't filthy.