Thinking of buying a Rover 75

rover420

Currently driving a 1996 420 si 4 door and am thinking of buying a 75, just wondered if anyone could advise me about the 1.8 t engine. Just how likely is it to suffer headgasket failure.Never had any bother with the 420 although its a completely different engine T16. I know i should probably steer clear of another Rover but I cant help loving them.Thanks for any advice, Happy Easter

I dont know anything about the 1.8T engine, but what i can say is check its history, if its had a head gasket replaced that could be good news as ive read elsewere that the replacment headgaskets are an improved design (although this could be bull). Also regular maintanence of the cooling system will help matters, flushing the coolant every 12 months etc.

The 18 turbo K is the most stressed GRENADE!

I stuck 60 k in 3 years on a 2005 K 25 without panicing about the H/G or the coolant, and sitting at 90 on the M25 for an hour a time, and it never drank coolant, never went bang. Could have been a rouge one mind :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The 1.8T is the 75 engine to AVOID!!!

It's an awful, unrefined, nasty, claggy lump of shit that was only introduced to keep reps happy. It's slightly better on fuel than a 2.0 KV6 engined one, but nowhere near as nice an engine.

The KV6 lump is ok as long as the head gaskets aren't fucked, the 1.8T is never a nice engine.

I am amazed how cheap these 75's are now. Ebay usually has several needing tinkering for less than £400. They look the absolute boVVox as well, I would love one.

A V6 2.5 or whatever would do me. The equivalent Mondeos are probably better, and probably pass the 'OMG SAFETY' requirments aswell. But i love the interiors of the 75's mmmm 'classy'

The equivalent Mondeos probably pass the 'OMG SAFETY' requirments aswell.'

No. They don't. Due to my INCREDIBLY FERTILE SPUDS, I am it seems forever banished to a lifetime of dreary 'MPV' vehicles, all of which seem to have dismal performance, worrying handling, and suspiciously under-sized luggage areas. Still, at least you can wear a 19th century villain's hat whilst driving, so every cloud and all that.... In fact I feel a rant coming on. :evil:

My local breakers now has shagged 75's coming in on a weekly basis, mainly T and V platers. It's a shame because I went to the motor show at Earls Court in '99 when they were launched and they were such a nice car. Someone described it as a £15'000 Bentley and they weren't too far off course.For £500 they are a throwaway car so I wouldn't be too bothered about head gaskets. I'd have a stock 1.8, do the belt and worry about the HG as and when. Go for it!

My mate who is a mechanic tooled around in a 1.8t for a bit. It was a customers car and he had just replaced a fait bit of the engine due to the turbo blowing up and sending oil all through systems that werent designed to have oil in them.Incidentally, theres an abandoned v6 51 plater across the road from me that belongs to my neighbour that has been out of tax since July. It looks a nice car with cream leather, but must be fubared spectacularly for him to just leave it like that.I'm surprised it hasnt been hiabed away yet :?

Somebody asked about Rover 75s on RR this was my reply:

I would say definitely go for it. Beautiful cars to sit in and waft along in, and surprisingly good handling, although obviously not a 3 series or a Mondeo.

The KV6 is a good engine and the flaws in the ones used in the 800s were all worked out by then - but I found the 2.0 V6 didn't really seem offer any economy advantage over the 2.5. However I did have an auto though and used it in a hilly district - I suspect with the right driving style and a manual there is a difference!.

Cowley built ones the best, early Longbridge ones also very good build, try and get one made before 'Project Drive' (major MGR cost-cutting exercise) really kicked in about mid 2002.

Personally I would avoid the 1800 due to the fact it is a heavy car and they are rather underpowered. Also the head gasket issue, which I won't get into because there is so much myth mixed with fact - I do know the Land Rover designed replacement gasket is the one to go for if you have to do the job. I have not about much HGF on KV6s as used in the 75/ZT.

Diesels offer the best balance of running costs & performance, which is why they are worth more than the others!

www.mg-rover.org is the place to get info - there will be a 75/ZT sub forum.

RR thread:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... 960&page=1

My local breakers now has shagged 75's coming in on a weekly basis, mainly T and V platers.

Head gaskets on 1800s and snapped belts on V6's kill them off (the belt change on V6s is involved and expensive). Garages claiming they can't get Rover spares don't help matters either. On the positive side, the older owners who look after them will help enough survive into 'classic' status I reckon.The diesel is the best one to get - BMW engine FTW!

• 1 month later...

Bland wins over money pit any day for me.I see plenty of the Rover 75/FWD BMW go to auction every week.Nails the lot of them.Wouldn't have one given. Like a freelander without the advantage of 4WD.Might be cheaper to buy 20 quids worth of lottery tickets a week. At least you have a budget plan for it that way. It's not a random amount you waste like on a Rover

With you on the bland thing. My Alfa 164 (there's a car to consider!) has won me over after a week - the Subaru is just too boringly efficient. A great car, but having umpteen disasters on a journey makes it more interesting!Not sure I could consider a 75 without a V6 though, much the same as the Alfa. Well, I might consider a 75 diesel - it's a good'un.

The diesel's a goodun if the high pressure fuel pump doesn't let go, the in tank pump stays together, and the turbo decides to keep all it's oil seals in place. Not a nice engine if you want to keep paying your mortgage etc.We don't put these on our forecourt as the warranty company just won't cover them. No sense in trying to sell them.