320touring's Rank Taxi 2 - 2004 Skoda Fabia TDi PD

320touring

Good effort on the mpgs, I could never get mine much higher than mid 40s unless I reset the trip while doing a cruise controlled 70.

My wife got 50+ out of hers though, don't think she ever saw less than about 500-550 miles out of a tank.

That was about a 50/50 mix of motorway and a/b roads- taking it fairly easy. I reckon I could get it down a bit if I tried;)

We had an 02 Ibiza with the 100HP 1.9tdi. Was a cracking car. Don't recall getting less than 58 mpg. Wishbone rear bushes are arse. Replace with solid bushes. Needed a replacement console due to a cross threaded bolt (was like that when we bought it) We had an injector loom fail (misfire). And that was about it. I gave it a front suspension refresh, but that was it for 100k miles other than standard servicing.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

If it is just be thankful its not the later 2.0 tdi with the sensor that is part of the rear main oil seal housing . Gearbox out and new slave cyl just to change crank sensor ! Awesome

Some of the later 1.9's have the same arrangement too, my 2k caddy has. Dont forget you need the expensive tool to change it too, or timing will be out and piss out oil too.

Regarding the daft fuel gauge, chances are it's got an Ibiza sender in it, as fabia, polo and Ibiza are fundamentally same car, fabia and polo read empty to left, while Ibiza reads empty to right, noticed while driving swmbo Ibiza tonight.

Some of the later 1.9's have the same arrangement too, my 2k caddy has. Dont forget you need the expensive tool to change it too, or timing will be out and piss out oil too.

Regarding the daft fuel gauge, chances are it's got an Ibiza sender in it, as fabia, polo and Ibiza are fundamentally same car, fabia and polo read empty to left, while Ibiza reads empty to right, noticed while driving swmbo Ibiza tonight.

That'd answer it re the sender. Luckily she's back on the original pump so that's not an issue now:)

• 1 month later...

Times for some updates on this..

To date she's done 3791 miles in my custody.

Total spend to date has been

a set of wipers (£11.50)

An air filter (£5.98)

Fuel - 289.28L totalling (£338)

Purchase at (£400)

£755.48

Or 19.9p per mile.

Not too shabby at all.

Last tank was a whopping 63.99mpg, so I actually fitted the air filter!post-17572-0-76839800-1486223354_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Think I have hit the sweet spot with this now,

197 miles in 3h 11 mins, at an average of 62mph. This was 180 miles m6/74 and 17 town driving either end.

May be boring, but it makes for cheap transport and disposable income for other cars;)

The OBC mpg reads at least 10% under (I know as I'm a sad fuck who measures those things), so I think we have a genuine 64+ mpg..

post-17572-0-96675100-1487370148_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-40535400-1487370193_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-20030000-1487370244_thumb.jpg

I have just done something very very bad:(

Went out to this with the posh oil and filter for it, jacked it up and discovered an undertray held on with

Rusty small hex screws (of indeterminate size- as in none of my bits would fit)

Rusty Phillips head screws (which chewed up as soon as I looked at them)

And a fetching display of cable ties.

As I lay on the cold damp tarmac, I thought to myself "fuck it".

Popped the engine cover off, swapped the filter and then topped her up with the fresh oil.

Meh, it'll do until I can get another filter and somewhere dry to do it.

Unless someone's been at it in the past those hex screws may have been torx screws of approx T25 FLAVA.

I tend to be strongly in the BIN camp for undertrays, but the aero penalty may bring your fuel economy as low as, maybe 55mpg?

I really need somewhere to pop it up on stands and get it stripped off.

If I can refit it I will- they're useful for cross wind handling too