A/S bike 220sli , MOT status=achieved ! She rides again

omegod

So with a clear day I got stuck into it starting with the trailing arm bush, whoops of delight when all the bolts came out without issue followed by howls of frustration after 4 hours of fucking about as the bush kept popping out when tightening everything back up, I must have done it 20 times and eventually it stayed in but i'm still not too happy it as far in as it should be. Lack of handbrake on the nearside seems to be a stretched cable that won't pull the arm back fully .

Bollox's helpful welding is done so big issue already resolved 

Left to do:

Find and fit a handbrake cable

Clean up the offside rear caliper

Fit wishbone and track rod end

Sort the twatting leak in the backbox that decided to start blowing today 

I honestly feel like binning the bastard but will persevere

• 2 weeks later...

All that's holding it up now is an imbalance on the rear brakes, the nearside rear caliper is under performing and I've cleaned up and lubed the sliders and wound the piston ( threaded type) in and out repeatedly at 06:30 this morning in -4 degrees but there is a definate tight spot which I think is stopping it pushing on the pads fully, garage kindly popped it  back on the rolling road again today and it's still not good enough, I've happily chucked 3 cold weekends at it so far but i'm not currently able to chuck £100 on a new caliper so :

Can the piston be wound out and cleaned up?

Advice on a rebuild kit and is it just a new piston needed?

Knowledge of a spare one within the autoshite family?    

The white wonder has needed much fet

Welding by Mr_Bollox ( thanks again pal and i'll sort that Ibiza bit ! ) 

New handbrake cable's , shite job

New lower arm, bitch of a job 

New trailing arm bush, oh my fucking god what a nasty job

New track rod end, sweet job

Various minor fucking about to remove sharp edges dangerous to people stupid enough to jump in front of it 

Damn good clean up of back brakes

Much fanciful work on the exhaust to stop it blowing

Is the handbrake fully returning ? They used to seize on the clevis pin on the caliper . If the handbrake cables aren't backed right off the caliper won't adjust correctly .

Correct procedure is to slacken cables , check caliper levers are on stops , wind back calipers , refit calipers . Then road test before touching the handbrake . Make sure you push the brakes nice and hard on road test . Then adjust handbrake cable so it takes the slack out but doesn't pull the levers on the caliper off their stops .

Oh and make sure the cross or notches on the pistons line up with the tit on the back of the inner pad

Only tit on this car is me :) yeah it's lined up properly and I thought i'd set the cable up correctly but will double check again. r.e the piston, I assume the rubber seal pulls back easy enough to get some lubage in .  

It won't die people,I'll get it through then smarten her up.  i'm not crying poverty but doing up my kitchen just before xmas wasn't quite my wisest move !!

I spent several hours going back through time including all the threads from previous owners on here and  the blue forum, twas quite heartwarming 

^ Thanks mate that's very kind, not sure on that,I don't think many 200's had disc rears, only the high performance ones like this :-D  but Honda Concerto ones look identical. 

Other parts that would help titivate the old girl would be a central locking solenoid for the drivers door as this one has been goosed for 7 years , If it's white and the front wings are decent I'd be up for a drive.

^ Thanks mate that's very kind, not sure on that,I don't think many 200's had disc rears, only the high performance ones like this :-D  but Honda Concerto ones look identical. 

Other parts that would help titivate the old girl would be a central locking solenoid for the drivers door as this one has been goosed for 7 years , If it's white and the front wings are decent I'd be up for a drive.

I'll see if I can salvage the C/L solenoid. Alas, the Rover is Red. Will report back at the weekend.

Well new caliper sourced via ECP 30% code, After returning the old one it'll work out at £57 but after seeing the state of the old one it's well worth it as the piston was pitted badly and no amount of lube would see it moving smoothly. I'll be looking for a retest some time this week so fingers and testicles crossed everyone !