Cree type headlight bulbs

nigel bickle

My son's car has diabolical headlights, as I discovered last week.

I told him to get some Nightriders, or suchlike, and I would fit them for him.

He supplied these, today.

post-758-0-20918400-1478782145_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-91858500-1478782167_thumb.jpg

Wiring appears to be reversed, easily sorted on the plug, and they certainly light up when jerry wired to a battery, but will they work properly?

Is the beam likely to scatter, or suchlike?

I've used Cree fogs before ( brilliant) but I've never seen these and am a tad hesitant to fit...

Views, pleez?

They are quite likely to mess up the beam pattern - I often have to remove home fitted LED bulbs at MOT time and put proper H4/H7 halogens back in.

I think it's because of the way the reflector and prism arrangement works, if the light source isn't coming from exactly where it was designed to be you get a huge diffused blob instead of a proper cutoff. The same thing happens when someone gets a bulb in wonky or upside down.

ToMM© has a central door operated light (the ones at the rv mirror are map lights) so a bright LED ugrade seems an idea.

Reversing light is n/a just now... Hopefully bulb not gbox end :(

A bright rev LED seems a 'bright' idea too! Toyyo doesn't have bulb-out sensor so low drain will not light up the dash like an Xmas tree lol.

TS

Dunno yet. They isnt going on Juniors jam jar, -too risky, so I can take my pic of what's floating about and easy to access.......

I've a yellow Mk1 twingo or a Tempra both with old rubbish bulbs. Mk1 Ibiza if pushed, but access is a little cramped.

I'll bung one in something, and report back. Cos they're cheap (allegedly)

they are pretty shit alright as headlamp bulbs, n t smaller tail'light indicator not very long lasting either; bits of the LED strip fail...

...Ive picked them off/otta some of the 'ex chav' scrapperz ive dragged back, n ive re'used them in trailor lights n trailer boards; they do seem to light up very well in comparsion to stocks bulbs which seem very very dimm' when fitted into trailor lamps; I spose its down to the thickness of the trailer lamp lenses...

Slightly OT: Poundland have LED lightbulbs with proper British bayonet fittings for domestic use. I fitted a couple in the garage and they seem OK.

Aye, I've got those in two of my three bedrooms, they're alright, although only just bright enough for the master bedroom - I think they're equivalent to an old skool 60w bulb or thereabouts.

Here's a bad pic of mine from this morning, as you can see the beam cut off is quite sharp, no one has flashed me so far since I've fitted them. I think they are angled a bit low, but this probably because the previous owner fitted 225/45 tyres to the front rather than 225/50 which are fitted to rear, so the front of the car points down slightly. They do trigger the failed bulb warning inside the car, I've got resistors to add in parallel with them to cure this, but I've just not got round to fitting them. Other than that I would say they are excellent and are handy for Volvo owners like me who have to drive everywhere with their lights permanently on

post-17353-0-23535200-1478849307_thumb.jpg

Slight topic detour but my ducato van has poor reversing lights and was considering getting some osram led 382 bulbs to replace the standard ones . Is it worth it ? Can't really see a tidy place to mount an additional lamp so would be nice if they did help

You might be better off with Chinese ones from eBay, as the Osrams will probably have been made to replicate the same amount of lumens output as a standard bulb, whilst the ebay ones will have the power output regulated to super mega turbo power, which in this case is what you want. I thought about getting some for the brake lights in my OH's car as she seems to get constantly tail gated for the crime of doing 30 in a 30 zone.

The beam pattern/reflector with conventional halogen bulbs is designed to work with a single point light source, ie the bulb filament, so these will ruin that utterly. I tried an LED H3 like this in the spotlight that's on the front of my pushbike, it would have been great if you wanted soft, shadow free lighting in every corner of a room but seeing up the road? No way!