800 pound Mk 2 Cortina

cort1977

Not for sale by me but just spotted this on a Cortina FB group.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5867041882.html

$1000 is around 800 quid at the moment.   While not close this is 800 miles from me so it could get shipped for not a huge cost.

Fairly sure I could get this running fairly easily, title in my name and so on.   I would enjoy doing this but I already have a Mk2 so it wouldn't be a keeper.   It crossed my mind that I could export this to the UK where values are higher.

What would a 2 door North American spec 1600 Automatic Cortina be worth in the UK?   Is it too oddball and no one would want it?   Much easier to justify if I can give domestic management some spiel about it being an investment...

I would think so.   I reckon I could get it to my house and titled for $2000, export to the UK would be another $1500.   $3500 total which is about GBP2700.   If it is a Georgia car the body should be OK and the running gear is simple enough and available.   Not going to make a fortune on it but would be good to not lose money for once...

I find stuff like this baffling.  It's like those rare pictures of things like LHD Singer Gazelles in American traffic.  Who were buying these cars?  Who was going out of their way to buy a small British car when there was so much available on the American market, probably for much less, that was easier to look after and live with?  It's marvellous, obviously, and I love the fact it has whiteline tyres and gaffer tape holding parts of the engine (thermostat housing?) together.

I find stuff like this baffling.  It's like those rare pictures of things like LHD Singer Gazelles in American traffic.  Who were buying these cars?  Who was going out of their way to buy a small British car when there was so much available on the American market, probably for much less, that was easier to look after and live with?  It's marvellous, obviously, and I love the fact it has whiteline tyres and gaffer tape holding parts of the engine (thermostat housing?) together.

I've often wondered the same. With what was available at the time in the US why would anyone buy anything other than a home grown product.

That's not to take anything away from it of course! I'd love that Cortina myself. I'd actually love to get my hands on a US spec Capri mk1 and bring it to the UK!

You find it baffling that someone would make an unconventional car choice that might be harder and more costly to look after?

I'd love to know why that baffles you, perhaps you can reference your Princess and your Renault 6 in your answer.

I think it was an effort for Ford to compete in the 'sub-compact' market against imports such as the Beetle that selling well in the mid-60s.   The smallest Ford was the Falcon with a straight six so they brought in English Fords priced below that.   They sold quite well for a while.   Then they designed the Pinto which went well...

I don't think these would have been hard to live with in the US, there is nothing mechanically that would have scared an American mechanic and the car would have kept up with traffic at the time.

If I could have got it for $1000 I would be going up there this weekend but as it is aahm oot.   Got plenty of other shite to be going on with.

I don't think these would have been hard to live with in the US, there is nothing mechanically that would have scared an American mechanic and the car would have kept up with traffic at the time.

No need for goddam commie pinko metric spanners wrenches, either.