1981 Talbot Horizon 1.1LS

theorganist

Due to impending arrival of another Maxi and the arrival of the Mercedes I have decided to sell my Talbot. I am not sure what it is worth, I have recently spent £300 on having two front wings painted and fitted so ideally I would like £300.

I has 51,000 miles and MOT till January.

It's good points are:

1) Engine in good mechanical condition - drives well, doesn't burn oil

2) Two new front wings

3) Basically solid, has been waxoiled underneath and most of the body is solid, didn't need welding at the last MOT and only a small amount at the previous MOT

4) You can grow plants in the front of the car (see bad points)

It's bad points are:

1) Leaks into the front footwell via the passenger parcel shelf - it is not as bad as it was as it used to create a very deep puddle but it still needs looking at, there is one small hole in the inner wing where I am told it is coming from which just needs filling, however I am not convinced it is coming from there. The interior is quite damp still.

2) Greenery is growing in the front carpet!

3) Interior is tatty, drivers seat in particular is extremely worn as is the top of the rear seat, I have put seat covers on

4) Gearbox is worn but works. It sometimes jumps out of first if it is not pushed in firmly enough and second crunches

5) Exhaust is blowing at the manifold.

6) There seems to be a tapping sounds from the front under acceleration but my garage hasn't found any problems and it has not been picked up at any MOT's

I do want this to go to a good home so am loath to put it on ebay, I will put it on car and classic also.

The new wings have greatly helped but it needs someone to take it to the next level.

I will make a long journey but the blowing exhaust is quite loud so I wouldn't recommend it!

13934756_10155084505436258_786346067700414039989_10155084505256258_8241608127595DSC_0748_zpsvousahzx.jpgDSC_0749_zpsoyy2whuk.jpgDSC_0750_zpsa1fa8elw.jpgDSC_0751_zpsupc2fgno.jpgDSC_0752_zpsmkax9jqc.jpgDSC_0754_zps51nncbew.jpgDSC_0756_zpsienfm7ra.jpgDSC_0757_zpsufyfid1h.jpgDSC_0758_zpsectykggo.jpgDSC_0759_zpsqxnuvbln.jpg

6) There seems to be a tapping sounds from the front under acceleration but my garage hasn't found any problems and it has not been picked up at any MOT's

Isn't that just the sound the engine makes on these? ;)

This is mightily tempting as these are on my hit list as my old man had 2 of them. FSW 369Y was probably the first car I properly remember (although was the 1.3). I vaguely remember the cars before it and a lot about the Visa they had immediately before but I remember everything about the Horizon, the interior, the engine etc. The other ones were just cars but this was the car that got me interested in cars. 

A Horizon is probably one of the only cars I would consider replacing the Visa with. 

Sadly I can't right now as life is getting in the way but hopefully it will stay in the fold and I can have my time with it at a later date. GLWTS etc. 

Isn't that just the sound the engine makes on these? ;)

This is mightily tempting as these are on my hit list as my old man had 2 of them. FSW 369Y was probably the first car I properly remember (although was the 1.3). I vaguely remember the cars before it and a lot about the Visa they had immediately before but I remember everything about the Horizon, the interior, the engine etc. The other ones were just cars but this was the car that got me interested in cars. 

A Horizon is probably one of the only cars I would consider replacing the Visa with. 

Sadly I can't right now as life is getting in the way but hopefully it will stay in the fold and I can have my time with it at a later date. GLWTS etc. 

Lol well they do have a reputation. However the 1118cc engine disappointingly lacks the rattle of the 1294 and 1442cc versions. It was considered now and at the time to be the best of the engines for refinement. My R5 is actually noisier.

I think this is just wonderful to see - old cars still available to drop-outs like us for their true value, instead of horribly overpriced with "Barn find" bollocks to boot!

A man shouldn't have to pay a fortune for an old car - Shite ownership should remain an accessible hobby for the                     non norm-conform minority who started and patronise Autoshite! "Never in the field of Talbot ownership, was so much owed, by so many, to so few........." etc

GLWTS, but I'm feeling a bond forming with my lovely MK3 Fiesta, and there's still the R20 to drain me of all funds!

Rover did an OMGHGF to me today so this is suddenly very tempting.  I need to check a few things first so I may be back in a few days if it's still here.  I'll keep you posted.

Oops, sorry to hear that.

Well I haven't put it on Car and Classic yet, I will wait till later in the week.