I spent £50

Ratdat

That's (potentially) a li'l beauty. I love early 5's, especially in loud '70s colours. I really must make the effort to get my 6 back on the road... :roll:

What's up with it?
Broken NSR trailing arm mount. It had been welded up and looked OK when I bought it, but it turned out the repair had been made with tin foil or similar.

Did you buy it from a fella called Tony at Grantham?

The white L reg one? I had a look at that for him before it was restored. It was in Blackburn with (I think) his sister in law as it was sat on her drive and had been there for a good while.Anyway was fairly bad and had quite a lot of restoration work done. Nice to see it lives on.

Guest greenvanman

Fantastic! I learned to drive in a 1974 5L, which eventually became my first car. A great save, well done!

Curiously, that's different to mine..it's got twice as many switches to the right of the instuments and where's the heater controls? On mine they are down near the choke knob.

Posted Image

The seats are different too. Mine are more plain than that but that IS the style of the rear seat back rest that's fitted so if the one in that car is the plain style then Tony must have swapped them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe the front seats are of a higher spec. The extra buttons were fitted by Tony I think - a heated rear window (fitted but not wired in) and some other things I've forgotten.Heater controls were all central. Not that they seemed to do much - the heater was absolutely sodding useless! And that's coming from a 2CV owner with a know-poor heater!

The floor change was a £32 option on the basic 5 and 5TL, or rather you got 32 quid off the list price (£873, or 956 for the TL) if you stayed with the facia lever. The TL had a standard floor shift from August 1974 (N plate), and a sunroof (TL only) was a whopping £117.They were a bit rot prone, but the 5 was from a time when Renaults were tough and reliable unlike the shit they make now! I got given a B plate 3 door GTL with the 1108 big block motor back in 1997.

Hillman Avenger, I know because I've been there when it was more visible

I might be interested in the Avenger for spares. Do you know if the owner of the cars would be prepared to sell them?

Hillman Avenger, I know because I've been there when it was more visible

I might be interested in the Avenger for spares. Do you know if the owner of the cars would be prepared to sell them?
I know the vague whereabouts of the location if further infestigation is desired... :)

The orange 5 looks very rotten - you are a brave man taking that on :shock: . Why not get a early rust free rolling shell from France for about 50-100 euros and swap everything over?

RHD/LHD for a start. I've repaired stuff this rotten before and there are quite a lot of available parts to do it with.

My first car was a 1980 version of one of these that basically leaked everything but it was a great car. Small, great visibility, fantastic economy and cheap to insure. Makes you wonder why Renaults Twingo design team didnt just say "Perhaps we'll just start remanufacturing the mk1 5, it basically ticks all our boxes"Good luck with this RatDat, I would love to see this fully restored. Might go and look out for one myself!