UK Police Tagora

pshome

Little i knew about UK police cars until i stumbled across this picture on the internet some time ago.

post-5425-0-01489700-1477503414_thumb.jpg

Now that is interesting, the UK police making wise choices when it comes to selecting their patrol cars?

DVLA says: Tax due: 01 July 1987, it didn't have a long life...

A bit more searching found this:

post-5425-0-48134000-1477503696_thumb.jpg

Obviously, this reliable, fast and comfortable means of transportation "made in France" had been selected to tackle the police challenges of the early 1980's.

The hunt for more information was now on, first stop, the name on the bottom of the second image.
Turned out,  James Burns is an ex police officer and a very nice chap who sent us this kind message:

Hi Peter / Michael
I was interested in the Police Tagora because it was very unusual at the time. The photo which you already have shows the Police demonstrator which travelled about being evaluated by different Police Forces in the UK. At one point the car was used in Glasgow for a few weeks around 1983 before going to Cumbria Police for a few weeks after that. I heard that it was then bought by Northumbria Police , ( as you know they apparently had others ). Despite my best efforts over the years I have never managed to obtain photos of the other Tagora cars at Northumbria. I was in the Police myself for 31 years and I had some friends in Northumbria Police Traffic Dept search but we never had any luck. The car wasnt very well liked but in Glasgow they had a large Chrysler factory which was bought over by Talbot making the sunbeam. That factory closed and all Talbot production moved away. That may have been a reason why Talbots were not bought.
The new Photo was taken when the same demo car went to Cumbria Police for trial. It was taken by a friend  Andy Hunton who was with Cumbria. I realise though Andy doesnt have any further information  about the car except it left them and went to Northumbria. If I get any more info or luck with photos I will let you know

Best Wishes from Scotland

Jim Burns

A search through old newspaper archives found this in a 1983 Autocar issue.

police_tagora_news_600.jpg

May 1983? That was about the time the Tagora went out of production.

The Talbot factory archives revealed this:

tagorapolice_600.jpg

100 cars / year to be produced with police specs, V6 engine, grey plastic seats.

The images indeed show metric steel TRX made just for that purpose, wonder if any remain.

To be commericalised "as soon as possible".

I thought, this is the full story until a few days ago another image was found.

post-5425-0-23158900-1477505835_thumb.jpg

A second police Tagora, with two very sceptical proud officers.

Now the hunt for more details to the story is on again.

Who can help?

This car has a seal on the door, which police force this is?

What does the registration starting with HWU stand for. Wikipedia says isle of Wight?

Anything else the combined autoshite wisdom can add to the story?

Thanks!

Peter & Michael

Nothing Tagora but:

I recall in 1977 the Traffic police in Worcestershire having fully dressed Renault 30 and a Vauxhall (Ventora or VX4/90) on trial as potential traffic cars.

They were both laughed at by the cops who drove them: that force had P6 Rovers, Range Rovers and BMW 2.5 / 3.0 at the time. 

I have been trying to find a picture of this R30 for years, without success.

Logo is West Yorks, the news article also confirms this. WY did have a history of unusual cars, including Sherpa cabriolets (MGB's) and Dolly Sprints. Their early Sierras were buttery biscuit base spec, but with Cologne V6 engines

To be brutally honest, the Tagora fits the early 80s police car role well insofar as it was quick, roomy and couldn't be given away at the time. I'm pretty sure the only downside would of been the RWD police the plod had at the time.

IIRC Vauxhall virtually gave the police Senators because they were such slow sellers. Talbot would of probably been even more keen to find a home for their UK Tagora quota.

Nothing Tagora but:

I recall in 1977 the Traffic police in Worcestershire having fully dressed Renault 30 and a Vauxhall (Ventora or VX4/90) on trial as potential traffic cars.

They were both laughed at by the cops who drove them: that force had P6 Rovers, Range Rovers and BMW 2.5 / 3.0 at the time. 

I have been trying to find a picture of this R30 for years, without success.

Sorry for thread derailment (and especially apologetic for shit pic - already a poor repro in the book not helped by camera shiteness) 

This was evaluated by Hampshire Police -

post-5367-0-70428900-1477588504_thumb.jpg

On a more Talbot-ish note, I cannot find any evidence but am certain I remember Southampton Docks Transport Police using a white Solara at some point.   

News!

i was able to identify and contact the person who posted the last image and got this friendly reply (edited for privacy).

Hello,

The photo is one from my fathers archive. Unfortunately he passed away in 2013. My Dad at this time was PC xxx xxxx xxxx (West Yorkshire Police) 
and is the officer on the left. I am sorry I do not know who the other police officer is but I would think he is now retired. The vehicle may have been used as a motorway patrol car on the M1/M62 in the Leeds area and probably based at the Wooley Edge Police Post on the M1. As that was my fathers post around that time.

Next stop: inquire at West Yorkshire Police. Maybe a shiter has contacts there?