Project Pasta - two into one.

purplebargeken

Cheers, yes Windows is the thingy of choice*

Ta muchly :)

Went to look at the parts car this morning (no pics, sorry). It's actually rather tidy. It drives and the engine sounds like a good'un. The guy showed me bills for much pounds having all kinds of work done on the car. He has a 159 and another 156 Sportwagon. 

The black leather in the parts car is very nice indeed. It would be a real shame to part it. We are going to take it to the lock up tomorrow morning and I will remove the dented bonnet, broken headlight and dented wing. I will then have a good poke around to see just how bad it is. I can use the dizzler for reference/measurements and so on.

From one to two. Yay**

Oh, have to say that the seller has 3 dogs. You know where this is going, right? Groundhog Day........ 

The parts car is now in the lock up. It starts, runs and drives rather well. I will upload some pics of the damage later today. A lot of it would hammer, bend, pull back into place but I have some concerns as to one bit. I will have to have a look at Pasta on Tuesday to make a comparison. 

If scrap does anyone need a very good 2.0TS engine? It will need removing as I am not about to do that but will give a hand.

Anyway, look at the pics later and see what we think.

DSCN1398_zps0xgxlzio.jpg

DSCN1395_zpspnmy02pw.jpg

DSCN1394_zpspsojtejk.jpg

Ok, having taken the remnants of the headlight out I can see the underlying damage a bit clearer.

DSCN1400_zpsoehoglvl.jpg

I think the rail has taken the impact, not only on the corner but also on the side and may have shifted it over a wee bit.

DSCN1401_zpscfc0tar4.jpg

The reinforcing bar at the front is misaligned, this is turn has moved the front panel backwards on one side. These just unbolt however.

DSCN1401_zpscfc0tar4.jpg

What do we think? I will take measurements/photos of Project Pasta as a comparison.

I'm not too fussed if it is beyond repair as the interior alone is worth the money, plus it has a dog guard, rear load cover, decent alloys, spare switches, doors, tailgate, headlight, carpet and so on. All of which is much, much more than the purchase price. Shame to waste the engine though.

It has a good used steering rack, wonder if I can take that off. The front suspension was recently re-bushed as well.

Would a breaker take stuff without wheels?

It's repairable but to be honest you'd spend more than it's worth.

No wheels make it a pain to move, if you want them for yours just swap them over.

I reckon the best plan is to swap everything you want onto the diesel, put the old bits on the damaged one and try to sell it on as a complete but damaged car.

It'd need to be MOT'd before any plate jiggery pokery could take place :(

I think they've relaxed the rules on that. 

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/take-private-number-off

It sez that it must be "of a type that needs an MOT" and it must have been taxed in the last 12 months with no gap between tax and SORN.

By the way, for the record, the internet says it is MOTd.

post-17573-0-35018200-1482095810_thumb.jpg

The plate thing is a bit of a risk as it would cost you £80 to get it off, you may then sell it for £200+, or you may just be stuck with it.

Ok. Some dismantling took place but it was on Project Pasta. I took the rear seat bases out and then vacuumed up all the accumulated shite. Bits of breeze block, some sweet wrappers, a couple of cig butts and bits of crumbled plaster board. Oh, I also found 1p. 

I decided to disconnect the battery to enable less explosive removal of seats. Hmm, what's this? A rather large hose is not connected. I wonder.......

so, rather large hose pushed back on and the large jubilee clip tightened up.

Start the car up and.................... EML begone!!! Smooth running rorty diesel happiness is restored.

I'd disconnected the hose to refit the battery. Must have just lightly pushed it into place. Not enough to keep it in place obv.

I haz happy!