Project Pasta - two into one.

purplebargeken

Having obtained a silver 156 Sportwagon in dizzle flavour from our very own Moog of this Parish. I decided to visit the barn in Essex to give it some cosmetic attention as the plan was to get my mate to drive it to the local lock up at the weekend. The aim was to tackle the small bits of rust and scratches that adorn its svelte bodywork and just give it a bit of attention.

This visit coincided with my multi-Daf owning mate who needed to move a small white Volvo 66 saloon under the eaves of the barn. The plan was to move the Alfa, lob the Volvo in the barn and then put the Alfa at the front of the queue ready for Saturday.

Well, that was the plan.

It would have worked superbly but for one teeny tiny thing. The Alfa battery was as flat as a skinny pancake. Zilch, no warning lights or anything. Arsebiscuits.

Ok, no problem. The Sable is next to it and a set of jump leads were used. Feck all difference. The engine did a half-arsed (at best) attempt to growl but no way was it going to fire. Am pretty sure I hadn't left anything 'on' electrically.

It has been a good few weeks since I was at the barn but I didn't anticipate the battery death, sadly I didn't have a socket set handy to remove the lump of a thing. I have a good trickle charger to try and resurrect the battery once off. A new one is around 70 quid so that will have to wait a while :(

It was looking a bit tidier on the bodywork mind.

I seem to recall an issue with a battery drain but this was cured with a bulb replacement I think?

There was a battery drain that Moog sorted. When I had it, it never got left more than a day or two, but had been standing for a good few months before I bought it. With that in mind, the battery might not be up to a long break in service. A good trickle charge may sort it, though.

Ah, I did enjoy driving that Alfa gently* around Knockhill back in June...

I got 17-Coffees using the imaginary brake pedal in the passenger footwell a few times, whereas Tickman was cool as the proverbial cucumber the whole time.

However, it was bloody hanging back then, how bad is it now?

The bulb fixed the drain and then I trickle charged the battery which brought it back to life. Never had an issue after that.

Longest it went without being used was 2 weeks after which it was fine.

Trying to remember whether I ended up putting a new battery in it (perhaps not). Will check just in case.

Take a multimeter and check for drain. After I changed the bulb out (right rear brake light) it was happy as Larry.

That said I did do mega Google about it and they seem to be prone to brake lights still glowing even with keys out.

A multi-what? I possess no new fangled elektrickery stuff.

Lick both fingers. Unplug negative battery terminal. Stick one wet finger on batter and one on battery terminal.

Get your assistant to pull fuses. When your hair is less art garfunkel you have found the drain.

No need to thank me

Cheers matey, There was nothing when I switched the ignition on, no lights or anything. I am guessing this fuse blew as a result of us using jump leads? I've used them for years without any issue.

The battery is off now and will be trickle charged as a matter of course. 

I obviously need a new fuse!!!!