Rover 75 2.0 manual, new MoT, £400

eddyramrod

A heart warming thread indeed, well done to all concerned.

I particularly like this colour of 75 as my 1/18 version is the same colour.

Available in the spring you say? That's the same period that the Megane times-out.

I've already bought one car from you ( remember the £1 Lada!) so raffle eagerly awaited!

Edit: I have just heard some very sad news, kind of makes the above a bit irrelevant now. My sincere condolences to taxipaul and his family.

A heart warming thread indeed, well done to all concerned.

I particularly like this colour of 75 as my 1/18 version is the same colour.

Available in the spring you say? That's the same period that the Megane times-out.

I've already bought one car from you ( remember the £1 Lada!) so raffle eagerly awaited!

Edit: I have just heard some very sad news, kind of makes the above a bit irrelevant now. My sincere condolences to taxipaul and his family.

I was about to put a "like" on that, until I read the last line.  Oh Paul... worst possible time and all that.  We're thinking of you.

• 1 month later...

Question for the previous custodians of this car.

What has the interior been cleaned with?  I'm asking because my eczema, which normally doesn't encroach on the palms of my hands, has made them very dry and painful in recent weeks.  The contact surfaces of my fingers are also affected, and I mean badly.  The only thing I touch regularly that's changed is, this car has been added to the fleet, and the timescale is about right, so I'm wondering if there's a film of something on the steering wheel and/or gearlever and/or anything else, that I might be allergic to.  I've actually suspended using it while I try a new cream to bring my hands back to some sort of sanity.

You try living in a skin that feels like it's on fire, 24/7, for 40 years.  It isn't fun. :(

Stylish!  Unfortunately I've tried before to drive in gloves and just can't do it.  No MG Midget for me then...

I have the gloves from my MGB days. Would take it off your hands............sorry no pun intended, but insurance would be a problem as I have no NCB in my own right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody fancy this as a swopper?  I'll consider almost anything* against it as long as it has plenty of MoT; the 75 runs out in November.  Oh and you will need to deliver and collect, as I don't want to drive this any more.  Reasons as stated above.  You could come from Plymouth or Peterhead, it wouldn't matter, this car should get you home in style and comfort.  It's been lovely to drive.

*I'd prefer a petrol auto with towbar, RWD if possible, and not German.  Except maybe an Opel.  Older is always better, as is bigger, and the more off-the-wall the more likely I am to accept.

Sorry to hear this Eddy, what a shame. My wife suffers from psoriasis and when it flares up she is in great discomfort, together with a raging itching that's is utterly insatiable regardless of scratching.

What about one of those steering wheel covers, the 'leather look' ones?

MrsL has my total sympathy!

As for the steering wheel cover, it's already wearing one.  Yes I could take it off and see if that makes any difference, but I've lost faith in the car now.  Not with regard to getting me where I want to go; it's great for that.  But for being able to live a life when I get there/get home. 

It isn't clearing up, by the way.  I'm in raging pain 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...

And further to the above: it's going ahead at the end of the month.  75 leaves me, Saab convertible rejoins the fleet.  It has three massive advantages over the Rover.

1: Auto box

2: older

3: doesn't make my hands itch!

It'll be where I can find it again should I need to, like for example if it becomes available in a year or so and a Shiter fancies it... ;)  Dave doesn't keep cars forever!

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I pulled the steering wheel glove off (and slung it in the back in case Dave wants to refit it).  I also pumped up the back tyre and drove round the block to make sure the handbrake, which has been left "on" for several weeks, came off ok.  And it did, so today I went to work in it.  As I will tomorrow, for the last time.

It's so nice to drive!  I'll definitely have to have a V6 auto version sometime. 

• 1 month later...

Well as we all know now, this car went to my mate Dave a month ago.  He phoned me up the other day.

You know I was saying it was so nice to drive?  He's replaced both rear coils, which apparently were broken, and the brake discs as they were worn out and one had seized.  I think he had a new caliper that side too.

But, he still loves it and says it feels more powerful now, not surprisingly if the brakes were dragging!

• 6 months later...

OK, now I have a price on this: £400.  I also have a contact number, which I'm not going to publish, but if anyone wants a go at this car, PM me and I'll clue you in.  It's had a new brake caliper and discs on the back, and a set of brake pipes for the test.  So it should be a damn good car now for some time.  It doesn't do the usual 75 thing of leaking into the boot but I don't think it's had a cambelt.  I know I didn't have that done when it was mine.