Hiace Shenanigans

phil_lihp

I've decided that the best way to get my flat refurbishment on track is to spend as many weekends as possible running away from it in a camper van.  To this end, I'm searching for a van I can plonk a bed and some cupboards into and disappear off into the sunset whenever the fancy takes me.  

I have been discussing this with a van-owning friend for a while and established the following:

Bigger is better - nothing smaller than an Expert/Dispatch/Scudo but equally a LWB high-roof Sprinter, whilst awesome, is probably too big, it's just me after all.

Nothing with a VW badge on it - too many around, far too expensive anyway (especially in North Devon)

No permanent bulkhead

No Transits - I really like driving them but the rust is a big problem

High roof is better but not essential

I reckon I could stretch to £750, maybe a bit more for something I really want - not a lot really, landing me firmly in the 'battered but useable' van range.  I'd happily accept something cosmetically challenged with dents/bad paint but obviously don't want a rot-box as I can't weld.  Old-fashioned, simple diesels suit me perfectly so something a bit agricultural isn't a problem.

My perfect van would be a Hiace but they're pretty much out of budget, the cheapest useable ones seem to start around £1300.

Experts/Scudos/Dispatches crop up quite regularly in various states but I'm a bit wary of PSA stuff - presumably though, the 2.0 HDi should be OK?  I'm expecting dodgy electrics (I have seldom found one for sale with a working speedometer) but obviously want something I can rely on.

I'm looking mostly at Nissan Vanettes, quite a lot of those in budget in various conditions, plus LDV Pilots also seem quite obtainable.  I'd quite like the quirkiness of a Pilot but how dreadful are they to drive long distances?  I'm not likely to be touring the world but it's probably going to end up in France and Scotland at various times all being well so I would like to be able to finish the journey not hating it.  

Vitos occasionally turn up but I'm assuming they'll be mostly filler and Dulex at that price range.  Forward-control vans appeal but all seem very rust-prone and although I started looking at Hyundai H100s like Wuvvum's they do seem very underpowered/undergeared, if it can't sit on the motorway at 70mph comfortably it's likely to get tedious pretty soon.  

Things like seats can be changed and if it's a longer-term keeper, windows etc. can be added so things like that aren't a deal breaker but I'd like to keep it simple and fairly cheap for now.

Any thoughts/suggestions/offers?

H100s can actually sit comfortably enough at 70 - mine's doing about 3,500 rpm at that speed, so a little noisy, but definitely quieter than a DI transit at the same speed.  Turbo diesel ones definitely aren't underpowered either.

Pilots, on the other hand, are hopelessly underpowered.  And noisy.  And uncomfortable.  The older Prima-engined 200 series goes a bit better, but is even louder. 

Vanette (I assume Serena shape?) isn't too bad a call - they can rust and they're not quick, but not hopelessly slow either.  Not the most spacious of vans though.

Expert / Dispatch / Scudo isn't a bad call - there's plenty around for under £750, they're nice to drive, quite refined for a van, handle well and aren't too bad for rust, although the load bay is a little on the short side for comfortable sleeping.  Get a HDI though - the DW8-engined version makes a Vanette feel like a fugging dragster. 

Buy Wuv's.  Seriously.

Avoid anything German: if it isn't ready to be swept up into a dustpan it'll be horrendously expensive, and even more so when (not if) something goes wrong. 

Sherpa/Pilot: you want to do distance?  Avoid, then.

Scudo and family: actually quite a nice van, but will it be big enough for you?  Try lying down in the back.

Left field: Volvo 740/940 estate.  Ask the SVM, these are GR99 for sleeping in, and fucking lovely over distance too.  If you want privacy you can always film over the windows from the B post back.

Good luck!

Those Dispach ones seems quite cheap/bargainous but I'e seen more than a few with knckered gearboxes, not sure if it's an achille's heel them or not. As above, Wuvvum's van would be absolutely ideal for you. 

H100s can actually sit comfortably enough at 70 - mine's doing about 3,500 rpm at that speed, so a little noisy, but definitely quieter than a DI transit at the same speed.  Turbo diesel ones definitely aren't underpowered either.

Pilots, on the other hand, are hopelessly underpowered.  And noisy.  And uncomfortable.  The older Prima-engined 200 series goes a bit better, but is even louder. 

Vanette (I assume Serena shape?) isn't too bad a call - they can rust and they're not quick, but not hopelessly slow either.  Not the most spacious of vans though.

Expert / Dispatch / Scudo isn't a bad call - there's plenty around for under £750, they're nice to drive, quite refined for a van, handle well and aren't too bad for rust, although the load bay is a little on the short side for comfortable sleeping.  Get a HDI though - the DW8-engined version makes a Vanette feel like a fugging dragster. 

Thanks for all the good advice guys, the above is particularly helpful.  I'd assumed a Pilot/Convoy would be a compromise but that sounds a bit too awful to be funny.

Do you still have the Aitch 100 for sale Wuvvum?  Not quite sure at the moment but perhaps I could be convinced!  Certainly bigger than a Vanette/Expert which would be good.

Left field: Volvo 740/940 estate.  Ask the SVM, these are GR99 for sleeping in, and fucking lovely over distance too.  If you want privacy you can always film over the windows from the B post back.

Good luck!

I did have a 940, it was great in many ways but a very thirsty barge and gave me a lot of problems (not really its fault, I paid far too much for it and it had been badly treated and neglected by its previous owner) so I'm not as big a fan as I was!  I would prefer a van for the height, I did consider a Synergie/806/Ulysessses as it's effectively an Expert/Scudo which hasn't been carrying bricks around for 15 years but not sure, I think they might still be a bit on the short side as mentioned above.

One of the first thoughts we had when talking about this last week, that one's even local-ish to me but alas, big thirsty petrol auto so not suitable.  Shame really, I'd be heading down to look at it this weekend otherwise.

The earlier 8v 2.0 HDi is a strong engine, 16v not as good and the 1.6 is like a bad disease.

To be honest, in budget, the best thing is to look for a LDV Maxus or something.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/ldv-maxus-2.-8t-120-swb-2007/1191596414

That doesn't look bad at all bar the short MOT, very tidy and not a million miles away, a crew van would be good as it comes with the right windows and some extra seats.  I'd need to know that bulkhead could be ripped out though.

I'm not sure a Nissan Vanette Cargo actually gives much space away to an H100. They are glacially slow though, but I can confirm that they oversteer quite fantastically.

Which one?  Vanette looks a bit diddy but I know of someone who has one converted to a camper, not sure if she's 6' tall though!  I need to look at load bay sizes when I get a moment to do some proper research.

I'd say a Dispatch is too small to sleep in really if you want to take other things with you, the load bay is only 6ft long, I bought a 2.0hdi combi off this site last month and it's a good solid old thing, cruises happily at 85 too.

If I didn't already have a Connect Transit**, I'd be looking at these for camping weekends.

post-17481-0-66425800-1476434986_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-CHRYSLER-VOYAGER-2-8-CRD-LX-AUTO-1-PRE-OWNER-HEATED-LEATHERS-7-SEATER-/201574199634?hash=item2eeec23152:g:LacAAOSwG-1WzVZJ

Much better value for money than Vans. Compare this to an £850 Transit. And you get the choice of petrol, diesel, auto, manual.

Some have "swivelling captains chairs" at the front, which would be ace for camping. Someone on here has used one for camping for years ISTR.

***LWB Connect has been fine for our sort of camping: two people, one 6'3", foam covered floor and a few duvets, storage shelf hanging from the roof.

I'm steering well clear of Voyagers having seen the general opinion of them on here!  I have emailed the seller of that red Maxus but it's been on for 9 days so might have gone, I haven't had a reply yet.

This one also looks like it could be a bargain if luck were on my side but I'm a bit confused by the description - he says the crankshaft bearings need changing but then he says the symptoms are that it'll start fine in Neutral but if he presses the clutch it won't start - that sounds like something completely different.

Anyone want to weigh in on the likely diagnosis?  If the engine's not making any odd noises (and I do realise this is taking into account the seller's interpretation of things) I can't see it being a crankshaft problem as surely that'd be knocking pretty badly but I am no mechanic and it might be completely knackered.  I'm assuming if it is crank bearings it's so much scrap metal as that must be a big job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-Maxus-120PS-Spares-or-Repair-/331996157769?hash=item4d4c835749:g:04sAAOSwZJBX~AKAhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-Maxus-120PS-Spares-or-Repair-/331996157769?hash=item4d4c835749:g:04sAAOSwZJBX~AKA

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, those symptoms are rather odd.  Sounds almost like an electrical fault rather than mechanical - especially if the van's driving OK and not making any strange noises.

H100 is still here, but here is quite a long way from Devon...  They are more spacious in the back than a Serena-shape Vanette, both in length and width - I haven't been in the back of an old forward-control Vanette but would imagine that would be smaller too as it's a smaller van overall.