Shit Gear: Soviet Style

DodgyBastard

Well that escalated quickly...

Samara sounds like it's off to a keen new owner though which is good to hear.

Still got the Riva?

It certainly did...

The Riva is still here.

29991523293_efbc85cc92_k.jpgDSC_0554 by srblythe, on Flickr

30354691182_aa1f80e66a_k.jpgDSC_0306 by srblythe, on Flickr

Still needs a bit of work but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

On a related matter, I have virtually zero interest in Youtube vids that primarily feature a talking head prattling on about the car whilst they drive around.  Show me the car for goodness' sake, not your ugly mug!  No offence to the guys on here that make such films... Horses for courses etc...

I guess you would have to check the small print in your cone-tract with the auction place. I expect it may authorise them to allow journo's to photograph/drive/film the vehicles entered. It generates publicity for the auction after all.

Imagine you were selling a car and the potential buyer turns up and rags the shit out of it.

The auction manager did ask if I had any issues with them test driving it but I never would have agreed if I knew they were going to do that.

You just don't do that kind of thing to somebody else's car.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Imagine you were selling a car and the potential buyer turns up and rags the shit out of it.

The auction manager did ask if I had any issues with them test driving it but I never would have agreed if I knew they were going to do that.

You just don't do that kind of thing to somebody else's car.

Don't get me wrong, I agree.  

Didn't realise they were ragging the fook out of 'em...  See my earlier post viz. not being interested in that type of video.

I suppose it's no different to someone rocking up to a bombsite car lot, taking a test drive and ragging a motor from cold though.  If you were the one who later bought said vehicle you'd never know.  (Unless the evidence was on Youtube, of course.)

It seems to be a trend with some current journalists in the motoring world. I think largely due to a complete lack of mechanical sympathy but a knack of being able to write things that people will read. That and being children who have been bought up thinking the way Top Gear crucify some of the cars that appeared on the show is proper jounalism.

Verdict - Not impressed at all but neither am I surprised.

I have to tread a bit carefully here, but my working life is mired by people thinking I'm going to drive their cars like that. Where possible, I always get the owner to drive their car with me in it first, so I can see how they drive it. If they rag it silly, then I will. If they don't, I won't.

If I was selling a car and someone drove it flat out in second for as long as possible to see how fast it would go while giggling, I'd make a written complaint thier employers. Or punch them in the throat.

If I was the buyer of any one of those three cars, I'd be pretty hacked off by now - "never raced or rallied".

You're right to be pissed off about that. The fact they've ragged the shit out of the lot of them is a very poor show. I'd definitely be having a word with the employer. As someone above mentioned, the attitude of those three ex-TG buffoons have made some 'journos' assume that it's ok to treat someone else's car with no respect whatsoever. This lot are obviously deluded and think they're minor celebrities or something. I wonder if the Fiat owner knew his or her pride and joy was being hammered by a knobjockey with a camera and a poor attitude towards other people's property?