The wait is over gents - forums greatest serial vectra botherer hits paydirt

Bren

After looking at various shagged examples of vectra C estates ( and an 08 plate mondeo) I spied this on gumtree -

post-4771-0-11157700-1476116032_thumb.jpeg

Vectra elite on a 55 plate. 127k with three owners from new.

However, as I could not spy a nice 150 ( had a 120 - good cruiser but as quick off the mark as the pontiff in his full regalia.)

This is the V6 cdti with isuzu motor. Six speed manual.

It's a vauxhall. With a DMF. And a DPF. And a complex far eastern motor in diseasel flava.

WCPGW?

Car was on one of those bombsite traders forecourts next to a car wash in Gorton - hence no epic road trip pics ( the fewer images of Warrington and Gorton and the bits in between the better). The car was dirty when I looked at it - alloys baked in dust, filthy bodywork but the interior had been subjected to a service station valet ( air freshener).

post-4771-0-84551800-1476116500_thumb.jpeg

post-4771-0-11941200-1476116532_thumb.jpg

Seats were in good condition- front mats from a kia picanto and load cover is missing. Tyres not great - conti/ bridgestone on n/s and Chinese death rings on the o/s - not much tread on any of them.

The car came with a sheaf of bills - some of them eyewatering. Timing belt done at 90k with a couple of other bits (£500) - three or four bills are over the £400 mark. First owner was company in Gloucester- no expense spared book stamped up to 80k. Then it looks like a mixture of garage bills and home servicing - lots of fully synthetic oil on the bills and the bàstard holds 7.5 litres.

I have never seen so many bills with a car for tyres and springs - they have been like service items. A quick look under the bonnet shows filthy brake fluid and a pollen filter that needs changing. All the photos were taken after I cleaned the car.

It drives nicely - not neck snapping, however on the M62 I noticed that one minute my other half was behind me in the focus, the next she was a good half mile back. At motorway speeds motor is quiet but wind noise is a bit of a pain.

Tomorrow I will refit the tow ball and mess with the toys - it has a power tailgate which still works.

post-4771-0-91875900-1476117137_thumb.jpeg

post-4771-0-04850800-1476117189_thumb.jpeg

One reason I went for an elite was because if it went Pete Tong I could at least sell some of the bits - leather sat nav and other bits are quite sought after. By the way I paid £1450 for the car - the MOT is only until end of Nov so I will at least have an idea of any issues.

Wish me luck.

I had looked at an SRI with an X pack and sat nav - the seller claimed to have had more interest from people wanting parts from it rather than to buy the thing despite him not breaking it.

I had considered looking for some snowflakes to replace the wheels but the low profile tyres make for a harsh ride and the 19" ones are prone to cracking.

They are not the most inspiring drive but I can't understand the lack of love for them - they are well made, don't rust and not as expensive as other cars to repair.

Time to look for a load cover.

I'm not surprised it's had a few springs - they snap for fun on the 1.9s so must be even worse with the weight of the Isuzu V6 lump sat on them.

Having experienced one of these engines in the Vel Shatis I wouldn't touch another one with a bargepole, but that said I'll be keeping an eye on how you get on with this one (with popcorn at the ready).  I wouldn't've thought they'd sold many of these in manual flavour, especially given that a remapped 1.9 150 is quicker - the 3.0 was more of a wafty-barge sort of engine so quite well suited to an auto.

I'm not surprised it's had a few springs - they snap for fun on the 1.9s so must be even worse with the weight of the Isuzu V6 lump sat on them.

Having experienced one of these engines in the Vel Shatis I wouldn't touch another one with a bargepole, but that said I'll be keeping an eye on how you get on with this one (with popcorn at the ready).  I wouldn't've thought they'd sold many of these in manual flavour, especially given that a remapped 1.9 150 is quicker - the 3.0 was more of a wafty-barge sort of engine so quite well suited to an auto.

A 1.9 was my first choice but all the nice ones were either in the scilly isles or shetland. The 120 has a weak gearbox and the glow plugs and 'stat are a PITA to change.

I used to pick up a V6 CDTi SRi manual for service...it overtook everything with ease.  Lovely engine, the injectors are apparently costly if they go though.  Looks lovely in Ultra Blue, nice find.  My two 120 CDTi hatches were great cars, and no bother.  I'd have another.

I still like Vectras, think they look smart and the interior still looks quite modern and fresh.

Re: your comment about tyres and springs being like service items on these cars, they are, my dad had a 54plate 2.0 DTi and he was forever replacing springs and tyres, don't know why the springs are so fragile on them, and oddly the rear tyres used to wear out quicker than the front. Replacement tyres frequently could be down to worn suspension components, it knocks the camber off at the front and wears the tyres unevenly, rear bushes, banana arms, things like that are common on the rear and wear out the rear tyres quickly too.

I fancied a Vel Satis, Signum or Saab with this engine until I Googled them.

However my stepdads Signum 150 was fine until the inlet swirl flaps jammed (common fault) and he decided to part chop it for a Focus - apparently the swirl flaps is a massive job that involves removing the cambelt amongst other things.  There are a lot of "quick fixes" on t'internet but it looks as if they are only a short term fix.

This looks like a good deal to me :)