Sierraman's (dad's) Mondeo - Long MOT Hundreds spent Ice Cold Aircon M9

AMC Rebel

When my dad had it, from memory, it had a new timing belt about 2013, I refurbished the brakes at the front in sept 2015, had new rear shockers fitted about same time. Always did the oil every 6k with 5w30.

It came our way originally as my old man was looking for something to use on his sheffield to Howden commute. Saw it advertised, a trader was selling it he'd got it off a guy who had been a bank manager for HSBC, he'd garaged it from new, retired then bought a new one with his retirement. I think from memory I gave £550 for it.

A while later the original owner saw it, flagged my dad down and told him the story behind it. He was chuffed it was still on the road. I used to use it regular as it was sat on the drive sometimes for 1-2 months at a time whilst my old man was away.

Took decision to sell it in the end as he'd been made redundant and went to live in Somerset, hence didn't need two cars. That's where AMC Rebel came in

The original Verona wheels went, I stuck them on a Focus I sold, the reason being that the tyres were shot on all of them. Swapped them across cause the Focus had a decent set of Debicas and Kumhos on IIRC. I think It suited it better. Sod originality...

Just had the Wheel arch liners off mine and pumped Waxoyl into the sills and inner arches. Fortunately yours has been welded up there so should outlast the car. It's quite a solid old beast you've got there, a bit of Waxoyl and keep changing the oil and you should be good for thousands.

Remembered as well it had the usual coolant on the gearbox housing, the seal went on the CTS, chucked a new O ring on and some Blue Hylomar and it sorted it out.

I have had a nosy round properly and I can't see much what may prohibit an mot at this point but come March it will probably have 30k more on the clock. I'm a firm believer in regular oil changes and maintenance and upkeep. Especially when I depend heavily on a car for work like I do now. Thing is I'm not too fussed if the mondeo gets knocked or a mirror broke for example as parts are a lot more readily available than for the fiesta.

It'll sit all day at 80, seems to do at least 35mpg round the doors, motorway probably forty odd.

I don't know if it still does it but the rear pass side door lock sticks, you have to open it from the inside. I couldn't be arsed to fix it I just lived with it in the end.

It's got a lot of fond memories for me, my daughter loved going out in it, if ever we see a Mk2 Mondeo she's asking if it's Grandads old car. He had an Insignia as well at the time, but if they went out anywhere she'd insist on going in the Mondeo. It had to go away in the dead of night, she wanted it to come and live at our house.