Range Rover Roffel - It's All Over Now! Caution: Victim established!

Junkman

Papa, papa, this is so cool, PLEASE can we keep it, was the reaction of Junkdaughter #2, while she was all over the inside.

I have to say, it's an experience like no other. Whatever you expect it to be, it isn't. Whatever you expect a Rolls Royce Phantom to be, it is.

There are at least eighty buttons inside, which holds true simple counting.

Each and every one of them is carefully designed to address a First World problem you couldn't possibly make up!

But there is more.

Nobody is messing with you when you drive it down the road.

Everybody gives you the widest berth, because they all think you're either an obnoxious git, or a total lunatic.

You sit in traffic with it, but you don't give a shit.

The radio switches to Radio 1 on its own, but you don't give a shit.

Everything outside it looks like a silent movie. Once you closed the door behind you, you are totally isolated from the world.

There is no such thing as a bad road. You see the undulations in the surface, you expect the jolt, but it just doesn't happen.

This is not a mobile castle, it's not a tank, it's not a lorry. What it is, is a wellness spa on wheels.

And it has done another thing to me already.

I don't give a flying monkey how much it costs to run. I just run it. Because it is good for me.

This is by far the finest thing England has ever come up with.

You Sir are Legen......(wait for it)..........dary!!

I have always wanted a p38 but never had cojones big enough to do it but i think this thread has given me the confidence to buy one in the not to distant future. If I hadn't just bought a Ford Exploder (colleckshun capers happening on Wednesday) I'd be looking for one right now.

As you sit inside, glance about you.  See the window lift switches on the centre console?  They're lovingly designed as 2-shot mouldings, none of this cheap painted on white arrows here - the arrows are moulded in white and the black surrounds are moulded around them in the same injection mould tool, this was pretty cutting edge in the mid '90s and means that the night time illumination should be more even.  When you press the buttons down there are tact switch clickers under there but you don't feel them as the feel from the switch comes from the detent mechanism under the switch cover.

The ride height switch is the same but I think it's got a roller mechanism in there, my memory is a bit hazy.  The wiper and indicator switch definitely have a brass roller that rides in an acetal holder for low friction, that moves over a detent profile in the tough, nylon housing.  The coil spring is quite long so there's an anti-buckle pin inside to keep the feedback under control.

And the indicator cancelling angle was measure from the 1989 Vauxhall Astra that my boss drove at the time.  Truly shite credentials through and through

Damn you GarethJ and Junkman, I want one of these now.

My LR funny bone has been re-tickled as well, dammit.

Interior needs moar beige, though.

My mate Mike had a P38 2.5HSE, which was glacially slooooooooooooowwww but had a very pleasant cream leather interior.  Lovely, but it proved incompatible with growing toddlers...

Well, so far not the slightest niggle. It now even flashes the SRS light at me with impeccable reliability.

Oh, and the illumination for the fully automatic dual range climate control is slightly temperamental borked.

Neither of those are to do with me.

However the BeCM is, and many, many faults are from there