Truck Shite

quicksilver

We did get Pegaso Troners here, but they weren't big sellers. The selling point was the revvy 360bhp engine, but it was as Leyland based as Dafs engines at the time, so it didn't make much of a dent in their sales. Hence the Cabtec Strato: it was much more like what British operators were prepared to buy. Although, the Pegaso engine turned up in one or two SA 401s late in their run as an experiment, which wasn't followed up.

The cab's been involved with both International Harvester (who bought ENASA) and Paccar, so it has indeed been spread around a lot of brands worldwide. Wonder if Sisu used it?

Waaaay back in this thread, there was the discussion on (possibly) the last UK Troner outside of showmen's fleets. It had been laid up near the site of the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, and vanished a few years back. Turned out it had been scrapped when the yard in question was cleared.

Wouldn't think so: reputedly the rust proofing wasn't great, and then spares became a pain to get once they withdrew. Think they're part of the MAN empire now, as far as I recall.

Supposedly they were loved by the few drivers who got them. Quite a few were used on Euro work, funnily enough.

If a RHD one could be found, it would make a contender for prizes on the vintage circuit.

I used to see a pair of Steyrs most Sunday evenings at Folkestone docks when it was still operative. They were either coming in or going out on a European trip,i got talking to one of the drivers and he told me they were good to drive but back up from the dealer hadn't yet been tested. As an owner driver I had considered one but I had just bought my second MAN at the time so I never bothered.

I'd be very surprised if there were any RHD models - I always thought the Steyr trucks only existed so that MAN could slowly close down the brand, similar to what they did with ERF - although I don't know if Steyr got a distinguishing feature such as the Cummins engines that ERF had as an option. I think MAN still uses the Steyr factory thought to make the TGL.

Is this the last pre-MAN Steyr? Wonder if any of these had RHD variants:

steyr_rudolf.jpg

On the topic of obscure imported trucks, has anyone here ever seen or driven a Steyr or a Sisu?

I visit Austria quite frequently, was there last week and it was the first visit that I've not seen a Steyr lorry on their native soil. I was disapoint.

I did see an old Steyr tractor on snow clearing duties though. I was happy.

Picture this with a plough...

3535-td4-b01-ext090.jpg

Pretty certain ours were RHD. One of the selling points was that Steyr (then part of Steyr-Daimler-Puch) made everything themselves, because they could, and because that was just how they rolled.

I knew there was a connection to modern MANs: Steyr do indeed make the TGL, which I have driven, so I can say I've driven Steyr with a wink. Sure SDP originated the Pinzgauer, and some of their transmission knowhow went into the Audi Quattro system too, particularly the clever, compact quill shafts that make the transfer drive work.

Any company buying Steyr (or SDP) would've got serious engineering pedigree in their acquisition folio.

Wikipedia article on the Steyr 90/91/92 series. The process of dismantling the former SDP group seems to have been a long, complex labyrinth of deals...

I defo would if I had somewhere to keep it....£2000....MOT'D APRIL 2018...Would...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-Volvo-F6s-beavertail-hiab-plant-lorry/323014665507?hash=item4b352ca523:g:Hl8AAOSwlAZaYki4

It runs and drives very well , it's fast. 6 speed box.

The engine smokes when cold once warm its clear.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I've watched a fair few of Stavros's videos, there's some stuff he gets hilariously wrong on the modern trucks - if you were using his test drives as guides, you might find the ejector seat - but he's somewhere between Noel Furlong and the Brilliant! guy off the Fast Show.

The one from last year, where he corners Scania's Irish sales manager (if ever there was a job that typified 'shooting fish in a barrel) and makes him sell the new S series is comedy gold. It has a distinctly Father Ted edge to it.

About the only reason I stay on Facebook is to follow Trev's Truck Pictures Page.

He lives in Gozo and travels around there every day, sometimes hopping over to Malta.

90% of the trucks are ex British living a new life.

Pictured by Trev below is what looks like a DAF 75 but its actually an AEC which has been re cabbed with a DAF item. I love stuff like this. All the running gear is original and it has had a 4th axle added. He has posted up lots of videos of the run he got in it. I think its a DAF engine but have asked him the question.

How ace is that!

post-3238-0-86122400-1516913412_thumb.jpg

We did get Pegaso Troners here, but they weren't big sellers. The selling point was the revvy 360bhp engine, but it was as Leyland based as Dafs engines at the time, so it didn't make much of a dent in their sales. Hence the Cabtec Strato: it was much more like what British operators were prepared to buy. Although, the Pegaso engine turned up in one or two SA 401s late in their run as an experiment, which wasn't followed up.

The cab's been involved with both International Harvester (who bought ENASA) and Paccar, so it has indeed been spread around a lot of brands worldwide. Wonder if Sisu used it?

Waaaay back in this thread, there was the discussion on (possibly) the last UK Troner outside of showmen's fleets. It had been laid up near the site of the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, and vanished a few years back. Turned out it had been scrapped when the yard in question was cleared.

Ive still got a picture of it at the SVBM if anyones interested.

Morris FF of the late 1950s 

Edit - some late plate madness going on there.....Think these finished in about 1962/3 and I don't think they soldiered on to that 1966 issue.

I think they soldiered on til 66, it's certainly a MK2 cab anway...There is part 1 of a feature on the BMC 7 tonner (FF-FFK) in the current issue of 'Classic & Vintage Commercials'...

• 2 weeks later...

Where to start with this one.

A mate of mine has been after a classic truck for a while and set his heart on a Scania V8 preferably with a beaver tail. A rare beast and usually a stretched tractor unit.

We looked at one a couple of weeks ago in Dorset which was ok but very pricey for what it was then this popped up. We went up to Preston yesterday and to cut a long story short drove it back. He hasn't passed his test yet so I had to drive (what a shame). It's a 450 with twin Eminox stacks and a 12 speed and is ridiculously fun.

post-3736-0-30382900-1517656002_thumb.jpg

We were not expecting to just take it with us and were actually due at a stag do at Butlins in Skegness... so a four hour drive later and it's in the car park. Hi de hi!

post-3736-0-96558600-1517656131_thumb.jpg

Where to start with this one.

A mate of mine has been after a classic truck for a while and set his heart on a Scania V8 preferably with a beaver tail. A rare beast and usually a stretched tractor unit.

We looked at one a couple of weeks ago in Dorset which was ok but very pricey for what it was then this popped up. We went up to Preston yesterday and to cut a long story short drove it back. He hasn't passed his test yet so I had to drive (what a shame). It's a 450 with twin Eminox stacks and a 12 speed and is ridiculously fun.

attachicon.gifIMG_1227.JPG

We were not expecting to just take it with us and were actually due at a stag do at Butlins in Skegness... so a four hour drive later and it's in the car park. Hi de hi!

attachicon.gifIMG_1228.JPG

Absolute legends. As they say round this parish your never late in a v8 best of luck with it and fulla the pipe

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Absolute legends. As they say round this parish your never late in a v8 best of luck with it and fulla the pipe

Some noise.....https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a7df7d698119/26253436_203258126899587_4485561207108927488_n.mp4https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a7df7e6904d7/13462547_820578061410121_1359587712_n.mp4