Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Truck Shite

• Please log in to reply
1776 replies to this topic

#1741 OFFLINE   scruff

scruff

dweeb

• Full Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationBox 41 GPO

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

How's tricks truckers? I had a mental November/December, so have eased myself into 2018 with a week in the yard doing small jobs on the trailers and other stuff. All go again next week. Seriously considering renting another unit for three or four months at the end of the year as I reckon I could have worked two trucks and two good drivers easily. 

I've just seen on FB an outfit called JHP Transport in Lanark offering to take on six people and put them through their licences and into a job. Don't know anything about them but could be worth looking into for any Scotchoshiters who fancy a change. 

• Shep Shepherd likes this

#1742 ONLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 4,583 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

image.jpeg
  • hennabm, scruff, Shep Shepherd and 5 others like this

#1743 OFFLINE   Vantman

Vantman

• Full Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of England

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

wool.jpg

• hennabm, Shep Shepherd, willswitchengage and 2 others like this

RIP Derek 'The Mint'.

#1744 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 7,585 posts
  • 71 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

I saw some 'new' W reg ERFs in yellow the other week, can't remember the company but they looked really old in a good way.

#1745 ONLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 36,311 posts
  • 136 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

Anyone know any truck exporters who buy old motors? I've been charged with getting shut of an Iveco 7.5 tonner (yeah, I know) with a twin-deck recovery body on it. It's shit (obvs it shit, it's an Iveco) and will probably need a low loader to take it.  

"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#1746 OFFLINE   mph1977

mph1977

• Full Members
  • 691 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

I saw some 'new' W reg ERFs in yellow the other week, can't remember the company but they looked really old in a good way.

the Cult  of  Bamford ?

#1747 ONLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:15 AM

I've just seen on FB an outfit called JHP Transport in Lanark offering to take on six people and put them through their licences and into a job. Don't know anything about them but could be worth looking into for any Scotchoshiters who fancy a change. 

Sounds like a benevolent outfit!  :mrgreen:

I wish that I could have found such a company to do my Class 2 training with in November. As it was, I arranged and paid for it off my own bat, which in my world is a huge achievement of which I'm justly proud.

Still looking for my first driving job, though. If anyone knows a company which needs Class 2 drivers in south Essex and doesn't mind that they're newly qualified (albeit with 22 years of other driving experience), I'd be very grateful if you could furnish me with some details ;)

Cars come and cars go, but The Volvo abides.

The Volvo - 1990 Volvo 740 SE 2.0 Dogmatic estate.

The Aero - 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3 HOT manual estate.

#1748 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationHere Be Dragonnes

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

You'd certainly get an education if you threw your lot in with JHP, I'll say that. John Prentice is a hard taskmaster, and one of the old school. All their work is 'had to be there two hours ago' for Fowler Welch, whether tramped or chained.
I know he's had trouble getting, and holding on to, drivers: he was even doing a drop at Lidl's in Livi himself the other month, which is saying something, because it's a real short straw on our circuit.
I get the pleasure of working with them on one of my jobs: the couple of guys he sends up to shunt are guid cunts who're happy to chip in and help round the yard. Most of the rest are the type of arsey cunts who give the industry a bad name. I'm glad he sent the shunters up though, it drastically reduced the number of 'get that fucking trailer to fuck out of my fucking way' yelling matches in the middle of the yard. It got toe to toe once or twice...all the fun of the fair.

Shep - I'd look at big corporates who operate large numbers of rigids, if I were you. Bidvest, Booker, Royal Mail (esp them, their terms and rates are pretty good) and the likes. There's a proper driver shortage on, which is only likely to get worse, and it's a driver's market at least in theory*.

Anyhow, I've been better than usual work wise, because of the above, but I've cursed myself not to be driving Mercs any more: I spent a whole £2.99 on a USB adaptor for the accursed Merc stereo...!

Edit: *I've asked on a driver's group on FB, and had Unitruck in Dagenham, Argos at Basildon and Co-op at Thurrock suggested so far. No idea who Unitruck are, but the other two are worth a try.
  • Shep Shepherd, tooSavvy and mph1977 like this

...as the actress said to the bishop.

Truck magazine scans!

Some short stories of mine...

#1749 OFFLINE   scruff

scruff

dweeb

• Full Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationBox 41 GPO

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

the Cult  of  Bamford ?

I would imagine so. They were out in force at Peterborough hell hole today clearing out from the LAMMA agricultural show - three artics and a rigid. Beautifully kept as always. I failed to get a picture as I was driving when I passed them but did snap Vic Haines' splendid EC11 during setup earlier in the week. A very nice lorry and converted to be LEZ compliant as well.

26685936_10157121665532796_3834016724758605588_o.jpg

• CreepingJesus and Vantman like this

#1750 OFFLINE   scruff

scruff

dweeb

• Full Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationBox 41 GPO

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Anyone know any truck exporters who buy old motors? I've been charged with getting shut of an Iveco 7.5 tonner (yeah, I know) with a twin-deck recovery body on it. It's shit (obvs it shit, it's an Iveco) and will probably need a low loader to take it.  

Yeah, got any more details...?

#1751 ONLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Shep - I'd look at big corporates who operate large numbers of rigids, if I were you. Bidvest, Booker, Royal Mail (esp them, their terms and rates are pretty good) and the likes. There's a proper driver shortage on, which is only likely to get worse, and it's a driver's market at least in theory*.

Anyhow, I've been better than usual work wise, because of the above, but I've cursed myself not to be driving Mercs any more: I spent a whole £2.99 on a USB adaptor for the accursed Merc stereo...!

Edit: *I've asked on a driver's group on FB, and had Unitruck in Dagenham, Argos at Basildon and Co-op at Thurrock suggested so far. No idea who Unitruck are, but the other two are worth a try.

I actually work opposite Co-Op in Thurrock, at Industrial Chemicals. I really want to stay with the company as a driver on their rigid fleet, but the transport manager is being a bit of an arse regarding taking on new drivers at the moment, despite my having worked for the company since 2010. I'm going to leave it a few weeks and look further afield if nothing transpires. Might pop into Co-op on my lunch break next week to have a sniff around :)

• CreepingJesus likes this

#1752 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Apparently Jack Richards are gasping for drivers, but I think they're in Fakenham, which is a bit of a schlep for you. There are jobs out there, it's just a case of knocking on doors, and keeping an ear out. That's pretty much how jobs go round in this game!

Truck magazine scans!

#1753 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

In other news*...I suppose this kinda qualifies, seeing as the engine, cab and radiator grille graced a truck at some point: it is however, not shite, but...that noise!

• wuvvum likes this

Truck magazine scans!

#1754 ONLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 4,583 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

image.jpeg

Not related, but some wet afternoon Scammel Mechanical Horse entertainment here https://m.youtube.co...h?v=4yR-5bbFivU
  • CreepingJesus, catsinthewelder, Vantman and 5 others like this

#1755 OFFLINE   willswitchengage

willswitchengage

• Full Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Explain this one...

Kamaz-of-1.jpg

• CreepingJesus, Shep Shepherd and 0ldCh0d like this

254614.png

#1756 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 15,139 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Well that's just a DAF 95 cab, same as some Fodens use innit? The Ace Of Spades, erm, four of clubs cab?

What's with the little tiny opening bit of window though?

#1757 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 PM

^ Pretty much that. The 'Cabtec' cab was developed between Daf and ENASA iirc, and turned up on Dafs, Pegasos and Seddon Atkinson Strato Mk1s. KAMAZ bought theirs later under license. Same period as the likes of the Liaz built Skoda Xena, when they were trying to break into the Western European market.
I'd guess the little ventilation window is just that, same as the Daf 75/85/CF cab, but why, I know not. I'm sitting here in the last-but-one version of the Cabtec, and it has fixed quarter lights, which nobody else does any more either! The arrangement has its' merits: I can clean the quarter lights and see my mirrors fine, when rolling the window down and up leaves it with manky streaks and smears.
  • Pillock and 0ldCh0d like this

Truck magazine scans!

#1758 OFFLINE   willswitchengage

willswitchengage

• Full Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:36 PM

Possibly rivalling the Renault Midlum as the cab that has been used on the most vehicles?

11805087044_1e640880e4_b.jpg

3673de9e2f9cf5619213c0b18cf65dd6--oil-fi

7d9d6b08d2a258da71489e8c1f8a7bd4.jpg

f8447466c8e029758ea687cf76cfbf5f--google

254614.png

#1759 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 6,531 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:55 PM

Weren't pegaso briefly imported to the UK?

#1760 OFFLINE   martc

martc

• Validating
  • 1,236 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationThe Land of Nod

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Well that's just a DAF 95 cab, same as some Fodens use innit? The Ace Of Spades, erm, four of clubs cab?

What's with the little tiny opening bit of window though?

In order to pass things in and out without opening a big window and loosing all the heat? - can get pretty nippy in the USSR.

Hello happy

#1761 ONLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Weren't pegaso briefly imported to the UK?

I know that their coaches were, so it seems logical that their trucks were, too. I'm pretty sure that I saw one many years ago on the M2, but it could have been a Spanish-registered example.

#1762 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 15,139 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

The website I found suggests that Kamaz is the only one made, it was a prototype that they never went further with

#1763 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 PM

We did get Pegaso Troners here, but they weren't big sellers. The selling point was the revvy 360bhp engine, but it was as Leyland based as Dafs engines at the time, so it didn't make much of a dent in their sales. Hence the Cabtec Strato: it was much more like what British operators were prepared to buy. Although, the Pegaso engine turned up in one or two SA 401s late in their run as an experiment, which wasn't followed up.
The cab's been involved with both International Harvester (who bought ENASA) and Paccar, so it has indeed been spread around a lot of brands worldwide. Wonder if Sisu used it?

Waaaay back in this thread, there was the discussion on (possibly) the last UK Troner outside of showmen's fleets. It had been laid up near the site of the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, and vanished a few years back. Turned out it had been scrapped when the yard in question was cleared.

Truck magazine scans!

#1764 ONLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

On the topic of obscure imported trucks, has anyone here ever seen or driven a Steyr or a Sisu?

#1765 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:01 PM

There were quite a few Steyrs back in the day, but very, very few Sisus if any. Especially in recent times, as they've got a derogation out of some Euro Environmental regs in order to fit non-compliant C15/17 Cat engines. Hence you rarely see them outside a Finnish forest.

Truck magazine scans!

#1766 ONLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

I've seen photos of British-registered Steyrs, but I've never seen one in real life. I imagine that there are very few left nowadays.

• CreepingJesus and Vantman like this

#1767 OFFLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,594 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Wouldn't think so: reputedly the rust proofing wasn't great, and then spares became a pain to get once they withdrew. Think they're part of the MAN empire now, as far as I recall.
Supposedly they were loved by the few drivers who got them. Quite a few were used on Euro work, funnily enough.
If a RHD one could be found, it would make a contender for prizes on the vintage circuit.

Truck magazine scans!

#1768 ONLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,595 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

I'd be surprised that there isn't at least one in preservation somewhere. After all, there are rarer trucks on the show circuit, such as Dennisons.

#1769 OFFLINE   Vantman

Vantman

• Full Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of England

Posted Today, 08:47 AM

I used to see a pair of Steyrs most Sunday evenings at Folkestone docks when it was still operative. They were either coming in or going out on a European trip,i got talking to one of the drivers and he told me they were good to drive but back up from the dealer hadn't yet been tested. As an owner driver I had considered one but I had just bought my second MAN at the time so I never bothered.

• CreepingJesus and Shep Shepherd like this

RIP Derek 'The Mint'.

#1770 OFFLINE   willswitchengage

willswitchengage

• Full Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Today, 10:42 AM

I'd be very surprised if there were any RHD models - I always thought the Steyr trucks only existed so that MAN could slowly close down the brand, similar to what they did with ERF - although I don't know if Steyr got a distinguishing feature such as the Cummins engines that ERF had as an option. I think MAN still uses the Steyr factory thought to make the TGL.

Is this the last pre-MAN Steyr? Wonder if any of these had RHD variants:

steyr_rudolf.jpg

254614.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users