Truck Shite

quicksilver

ERF users are an adaptable bunch, who generally don't give a toss what it looks like, so the high interchangeability of parts means everything to them. Could as easily be a factory built Cummins (EC 10/11 as you say) that's had an EC12 grille put on, as an EC10 that's had a secondhand Perkins engine stuffed in it!

Last one I used was an EC9 for Burton's Biscuits at Sighthill. Cummins lump, 12 speed Eaton and nothing to it, but it covered some daft trips without complaint.

One of my minor regrets is never getting a go of an EC14 in anger, but I suppose I could always buy one...

See also early Volvo FM header tanks. You could see it, in fact you could see the bloody cap. But could you get it off? Not without tipping the cab...

Oil, coolant and screenwash should be fillable from under the grille, end of. No excuse for tipping the cab to fill them, because that's when laziness/'the next guy will sort it' catches up.

If its a bloody Iveco what's the betting you still have to tilt the cab to add engine oil.

Brilliant* design.

I don't know why... But an image springs to mind of a maintain guy pumping a handle (tipping the cab) and a mighty crash as all the loose 'driver $hite' hoikked onto the screen. Don't know if I was there..or saw it as a vid.

Totally stupid situation anyhow... (Not securing $hite, lyke)

TS

Is the current Stralis cab basically the same as the old Eurostar cab?

The frame basically, yes. Somewhat evolved now, because us ingrates demand flat floors, but the first Stralis was a EuroStar restyled and the massive Alto high roof section reshaped for aerodynamics. If you bought a Cursor engined, ArseTronic EuroStar and a Stralis, they were essentially the same truck. The difference was in the end of the old engines, and non ZF gearboxes. And the interior, which was quite different within the same box.

I don't know why... But an image springs to mind of a maintain guy pumping a handle (tipping the cab) and a mighty crash as all the loose 'driver $hite' hoikked onto the screen. Don't know if I was there..or saw it as a vid.

TS

No pumping up required on the last one i put some oil in, electric cab tilt mechanism, guaranteed never* to fail.

TS

See also: leaving fags/lighter/bottle of Bru/warm jumper/waterproofs in there when that's just what you need now.

Also, not shitey, but goodnight West Of Scotland Heavy Haulage: I thought at least the heavy game would still pay, but evidently not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41833296

• 2 weeks later...

If I had somewhere to keep this.....I Would buy it. Love these old things.....used to go with my Dad a lot when I was young, & tramping up & down the M6 in a 1991 J reg FL10.....Happy Days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-fl10-4x2-curtainsider-sleeper-cab-1992-year-k-reg/122808896076?hash=item1c97fb0a4c:g:wXUAAOSwWflaCq50

s-l1600.jpg

Out of service with Tufnell's the other week by the looks of it. Be the first time it's stood still I'd imagine.

An FL would be an excellent 'youngtimer' on the vintage rallies I reckon. Probably still get parts from Volvo for them too!

Last FL I drove would've been the 285 horse FL7 bulker I used to round trip coal and ash with. No pics I'm afraid, it was before camera phones. And the fleet doesn't exist either now. Quelle dommage.

Out of service with Tufnell's the other week by the looks of it. Be the first time it's stood still I'd imagine.

An FL would be an excellent 'youngtimer' on the vintage rallies I reckon. Probably still get parts from Volvo for them too!

Last FL I drove would've been the 285 horse FL7 bulker I used to round trip coal and ash with. No pics I'm afraid, it was before camera phones. And the fleet doesn't exist either now. Quelle dommage.

In 1996, My Dad was driving 8 wheelers, He drove back then, a Brand New Renault Maxter G340 8x4 (The tipper company he worked for had quite a few of these, as did other operators at the time) These were run in conjunction with a then new also Volvo FL10 8X4, The 320 BHP model IIRC....

The Volvo speed limiter could be by passed, (I won't say how obviously)...& one day on the Edinburgh bypass....It ran at nearly 90mph...Not my Dad driving...Some other crazy horse. Aaaahhh.....The good old days...

The truck which I will most likely be driving if I take a driving job with the firm I currently work for:

I am out in these everyday, my work use them (Quite a fleet of them actually). Ride alright when empty, but I find it is a bit slow when fully loaded...It seems to loose speed at most hills.. They are 290 Models though.

I must add.....My work also has some Volvo FE's....300 Models, I find these are better when loaded than the Daf.

But, when the Volvo's are empty, they bounce around quite a bit, where as the Dafs Don't.

I learned to drive in the older Daf 85, and I still have a soft spot for them. Not being the biggest laddie, I find them spacious enough. Handling isn't as ponderous as the newer XF's either. You can fairly chuck them around when needs be!

Iirc, getting by the speed limiter on an FL was the same method as the contemporary MANs: fun times until you overcooked it and found the throttle jammed full open. This happened to me coming down the A9 one time, when some blind old bat doddered out of the House Of Bruar into my path, when I was doing approximately* 70 or so...

I am out in these everyday, my work use them (Quite a fleet of them actually). Ride alright when empty, but I find it is a bit slow when fully loaded...It seems to loose speed at most hills.. They are 290 Models though.

I found the CF to be quite a nice steer, but the only other truck I've driven was an elderly Volvo FL7 ten years ago. 

My firm runs a fleet of relatively recent MAN rigids, but gives newbies the pleasure of the Daf. I look forward to the day they replace the whole rigid fleet with M-B Antoses, like they've been threatening to since the artic fleet was replaced by Actroses last December - I'll be really motoring then ^^

The 240 Antos is comedically slow off the line. In general, those Mercs have been set up to seem like they're working hard, but they're really only doing an impersonation of a truck working hard. One of my jobs has a couple of 330 horse 6x2 rigids which aren't too bad. Can't understand for the life in me why Merc made the USB port on the stereo a female mini...you cannot just plug a regular stick in it.

Wouldn't be at all surprised. Although as the nearest Merc CV garage is way over the river, I doubt I'll get the chance to find out.

Thinking along those lines - who are the jammy bastards among us who've managed to grab the promo freebies out of dealerships? I've never had a damn thing, despite all the attempts. Not even a hi viz vest or a beanie. Nuffink. And yet there's always somebody cutting about with the nice warm jacket on... How?