Truck Shite

quicksilver

Are they auction lots or just parked up?

Interesting for the Hino lickers, the Inverness/Moray reg on that one reminds me that Baillie Bros varied history includes being service agents for them (and Renault iirc), and running any old crap they please. Because they own the commercial garage in Elgin...!

Due to budget restrictions, these are rapidly becoming shite. This is one of my regular gigs: it's utter rubbish, in fact it's a complete waste. 20t of it at a time.

These tough little buggers (there's four of them) were supposed to have had a five year lifespan, but that was extended to seven, and it's just been stretched to eight. They're getting a bit tired, it's a hard life for them. They rarely leave Fife, and even at that the longest run is 25 miles. Still, they're at about half a million k's each, and proper ftp's are rare. Last one, perhaps unsurprisingly was a snapped spring.

They're 510hp ArseTronic 6x4s, all steel suspension, double reduction axles and off-road tyres. Great fun to drive, except for their propensity to go straight forward regardless of what the driver wants...

post-4104-0-00753900-1506280732_thumb.jpg

If Daf's practice is anything to go by, UK models are made as nearby as possible. Production lines aren't as dedicated/inflexible as car production lines, so the required bits can be sent to the right place.

Wonder if a new Skoda Xena is possible? VW must be missing a trick in not building a 'value' range! Chinese made 5th gen Scania cab lightly remodelled, on the VW Constellation chassis, made in Romania or something. Mind you, they've had a long association with MAN, so I guess if it was going to happen it would've happened by now. Then Volvo/Renault follow suit with some Dacias...

To be honest MAN's are a value range, though not when it comes to spares costs.

Mine's just gone over 700k, and cos its the EGR 440 its had a few cooling probs (thay all do that sir), but other than its been a remarkably reliable lorry, more than a match for our Scanias in reliability and is mechanically tough, first set of brake discs a month ago, drive axle only, rest original), good on fuel, let down by arsetronic but i've driven it manual from day one and i can get better fuel and more power out of it doing so, its definately a learning ECU, cos when i first get in it after some bugger's been driving it i auto it wouldn't pull you out of bed, but after about 1/2 an hour making it work properly by keeping the revs where they should be and demanding it work, it starts to provide more fuel, you can hear the turbos spooling up at lower revs, and it will more than keep up at full 43 odd tons with much more powerful lorries.

On the subject of arsetronic, its a shit gearbox for the user but there is no denying its bloody reliable, and it stops twats bolloxing clutches so these boxes are here to stay.

However, where it shows its VW input is in making things look pretty instead of tough...something that was the opposite to that before VW got involved, and they should have got the Turks who built the square Merc Axor to show them how to make a tough lorry cab.

Switchgear placement could be better but streets ahead of DAF's confetti switch approach.

More and more of the plastic trims bits are falling or breaking off outside as they get more brittle, when you look at how they're held on its no wonder, about as well designed for industrial lorry use as an Amstrad music centre, i currently have one of the trims bits that cover the headlight securing screws at home whilst on holiday having glued the two stupid little clips back on for the umpteenth time, painted unfortunately so a new one in standard dark grey will look shit and i foolishly still take a pride.

Its the interior mainly though typical modern VW all bling and too many things not made to last (apart from the seat oddly enough which is still comfortable and as new), the switches are breaking left right and centre, i spent the first month re-assembling the cab when i first got it cos bolts were falling out all over the shop, the door locks fell out inside the doors, the grab handle by the drivers door hinge came undone so had to dismantle the pedal box trim to tighten that back up, trims screws found in the footwells every day for weeks.

Various trim pieces have broken off and are now glued in place, and the soft touch plastic coatings of the dash front panels are peeling all over.

I haven't broken any of these parts, its been the odd ones from the couldn't give a fuck mob who drive it when i'm off shift who have done all the damage, but our Scanias whilst it must be said are no more reliable (most needing at least one new turbo and more than the odd new gearbox where the MAN hasn't) despite the hype, there is no denying their cab build quality is up to being knocked about by half wits.

IMHO a MAN if issued to one or two drivers who give a shit and under full makers R&M is a decent bet.

You're not far wrong: a dedicated driver (or two, or two pairs if it's four on four off) and decent maintenance go a long way with those. The actual engineering finesse is still deep down inside, and the bigger cabs are a great space to work and live in. That new engine brake is long overdue too, the exhaust brake's never been up to much.

My main experience with them's been at Pollock's, and the difference between front line examples and day to day fleet is huge. That the Fife based ones are serviced by MAN at Dunfermline doesn't help, the garage has a dreadful reputation. So much so, that one of my other jobs refuse to touch MANs now, after a wheel loss that was the garage's fault.

Saying that, Nelson's of Kelty run an all MAN fleet on bulk tipping, and their trucks are excellent. But that's with dedicated drivers and their own experienced workshop!

I agree about driving ArseTronic in manual, it's the only way. Like you say, the box is basically tough - ZF's don't break easily, and most of the problems are electronic - but it's not unusual for them to finish a half worn clutch off with a bang when some random gear selection is made under load. Granted the old 3 pedal jobs from Merc and Scania were worse for that, but still, they're not the panacea the makers made them out to be.

Up on the landfill, I'll take a manual every time. In fact, I'll take a stick every time, full stop. All I ask for is that, proper twin steer and enough sockets in the cab!

MAN van chat - it's not the first time MAN has collaborated with VW to make smaller commercial vehicles, back in the 80's they made the MAN VW G series. These were related to the VW LT vans but I believe there was an understanding that MANs variants were to be 'cab and chassis' type vehicles rather than an integral van. And they had the honesty of keeping the VW badge in sight.

g90_8264.jpg

Also saw one of these earlier. Apparently it's a reefer that's powered from the vehicle engine as opposed to an APU like normal, connected by a hydraulic circuit. I was more intrigued about why it was so small.

Carrier-Transicold-Tesco.jpg

Frigoblock have been supplying fridge equipment that runs off the engine for years. BFO generator bolted to the crank that pumps out the required 440V three phase. 3663/Bidvest used to run those exclusively, they were actually pretty good, given that customers like Gleneagles Hotel didn't like their tranquility disturbed by nasty things like donkey engines and the working class. Same for urban jobs, you could go a lot longer in the day if the fridge wasn't battering away every time the back door was open. Knowing Tesco, that'll be the top and bottom of it. Making it look good to the neighbours. That one will have the 'silent' tail-lift too I'd bet.

MAN van chat - it's not the first time MAN has collaborated with VW to make smaller commercial vehicles, back in the 80's they made the MAN VW G series. These were related to the VW LT vans but I believe there was an understanding that MANs variants were to be 'cab and chassis' type vehicles rather than an integral van. And they had the honesty of keeping the VW badge in sight.

g90_8264.jpg

Those were GR9 old trucks.  When everyone else was getting the power levels of their 7.5-tonners up by turbocharging little 4-pots, MAN went and fitted a bloody great 7-litre NA 6.  Much better idea if you ask me.

For the life in me, I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would sign up to FORS. The fallout over OCRS and the whole intelligence driven stops thing should've been quite enough. But then, someone in a boardroom presumably thinks it looks good to customers and shareholders, and it'll definitely get rid of the cowboys this time. Defo. This time. Fingers crossed.

And then they remember there's a load in Aberdeen that's got to be in Bristol tomorrow morning, and some 'valued subbie' can take their chance pulling it off. Without the fallout ending up on their plate.

g90_8264.jpg

I remember the rental company Kenning had some of they MAN/VW things....

.My Dad had one through the company he worked for back in 1988/89(ish) & it was pretty much identical to the one in the picture above. I do not know what engine size it was though.

Vw Still make trucks.... Just not for the UK... In Brazil however...They have these..

Volkswagen-Constellation-17-280.jpg

99d4152783f04c42ac5b9c479d1a153b.jpg

Volkswagen Brasil has made some neat stuff that we never got like the MK1/2 Gol; a weird Passat, Scirocco, Polo hybrid with a longitudinally mounted engine. The SP which was a Beetle based coupe.