Truck Shite

quicksilver

I'd definitely have one of those Skodas. It was a joint venture between them and Liaz: Skoda styling on a Liaz chassis, built by Liaz with a Detroit 60-series engine, Fuller box, Rockwell axle etc., to sell for export. Did ok in its' home nations, but never caught on in Western Europe.

Usually a few for sale in Czech sales pages.

What is the talk round the TruckStops, about the M1 crash?

Two HGV + Drink Drive.... And then what???

TS

Seems to be the driver of the AIM Scania was pissed and came to grief on his own, the minibus and FedEx motor got caught up in his wake. The cops arrest and charge any suspect so they have full access to them for their 36h, but it seems the FedEx driver isn't innocent either. He's on all the same charges, minus the DUI.

I dunno what to make of it myself. Wait til the actual report comes out, and we can see who hit who, when. Throw the fucking book at the pisshead though, no two ways about it.

Shame for the victims and their families though.

Reckon so. That and the 70s MANs are a bit of a giveaway: it was about the last time N Korea had proper trade deals with the west. Unless they're second hand of course!

Trade deals in the sense that they'd pay a little, get stuff then stick two fingers up at whoever had sent it; Volvo and Tatra got their fingers burnt with NK not paying bills IIRC.

6558375839_477a254316_z.jpg

All this Bloc chat - you still see the distinctive grille and bulky cabs of IFA's during newsreel footage of some appalling event overseas. Having seen them in action in the DDR it raises a smile that here is a product of the Trabant era but still in use for the purpose it was designed for.

In the DPRK, see also Dong Feng trucks they've got from China. Those shonky bonnetted things that make an IFA look swish.

Trade deals in the sense that they'd pay a little, get stuff then stick two fingers up at whoever had sent it; Volvo and Tatra got their fingers burnt with NK not paying bills IIRC.

Very much what I was thinking of. More Volvo, as the Pyongyang Volvo taxis are an article of reverence for the SVM, but I remember reading that Tatra had been stiffed about then too.

Chinese wagons are a whole untapped seam of shite. Here are lots of modern ones - http://www.chinatrucks.com/ including Dong Feng (East Wind).

Below is the FAW Jiefeng, one of the first lorries made in China. If I've got the right one it should have Chairman Mao Zedongs signature stamped on the cowl above the radiator (there's a picture of him with the lorry on the interweb somewhere but I can't find it at the moment).

jf_1-.jpg

And here's a list of everything automotive made in North Korea - http://www.chinesecars.net/free-information/made-north-korea?page=10 mainly built from Chinese supplied kits, but there is a Fiat Doblo in there.

That M1 crash, it appears the AIM logistics bod was pissed and had stopped in lane 1 (not the hard shoulder) just past jct 14 s'bound off slip for 12 mins before being struck, no hazards on, presumably side lights still on.

Why he stopped is any buggers guess, but at 0315 finding a vehicle stopped in such a position would confuse the hell out of me coming down the road, and somehow the mini bus and the Fed Ex artic got tangled up with the mini bus crushed and all on board either killed or severely injured.

The various stains are still there on the road  at the point of impact, no doubt many of those stuck southbound in the queue when 3 cars and a van managed to stuff themselves in the armco and each other yesterday, weds,late morning must have seen the stains and realised where they were.

Seems another piss head in a lorry has been found guilty at a hearing, 3 times over the limit FFS, twat decided to do a U turn on the M6 in Cumbria fortunately he didn't manage to make the turn and start heading against the traffic, bloody good job he didn't decide to get pissed on the M25.

Take care out there, some people behind the wheel of all sorts of vehicle who shouldn't be there.

Disappearing down the rabbit hole from N Korean trucks...trying to work out whose bits are what, and who sold what to whom, when (given that the Chinese have a million times more credibility than the DPRK in international trade) is tricky. Fun, but tricky. I knew Volvo had offloaded old cabs to Sinotruk (presumably in exchange for cheap pressings for spares), but I'd no idea Sinotruk had kept developing the old FL 'Wendy house' cab! That looks very much like an old Renault Premium high top perched on that...

post-4104-0-24325100-1504190928_thumb.jpg

The 12 was a rare beastie indeed. Somerfield/Co-op kept their FL6s going for bloody ever, but I'm trying to blank that out. Last one of the bigger cab I had was an FL7/285 eight leg tipper with greedy boards on coal in/ash out work. Utterly miserable little thing. But dropping it in a sump arse first failed to kill it, so I suppose I shouldn't be too harsh. It was old enough to have the old spare wheel carrier (which saved the sump incident being worse) and a four mode tacho.

Indeed those little engined Volvos were bloody hard work as you say best forgotten, my boss before bought a job lot of new FL7's for 9 car transporter work, desperate things they were, the only one that was any good was one where the driver's son worked for the local Volvo lorry dealer and he must have breathed on it, pulled like buggery and cruised at about 70 yet it was still limited to 56, dunno how he managed it, the rest of the sods wouldn't pull you out of bed.

I had the misfortune to use an F7 artic transporter for 2 weeks while the regular bloke was on holiday, first thing checked the oil, had to put 4 gallons in the bloody thing to bring it up to the mark, i think they held 5, couldn't destroy it mind, bloody heap.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Thainstone market this morning, and a chunk of the car park seemed to be for storage of trucks. I was ogling them for a good 10 minutes or so.

Thought you lot would like some photos.

post-19977-0-40567500-1506259935_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-85844600-1506259937_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-44923700-1506259940_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-00956900-1506259943_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-57260500-1506259945_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-81667500-1506259947_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-88397500-1506259978_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-52863100-1506259981_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-13483600-1506259984_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-87952000-1506259986_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-50432600-1506259989_thumb.jpg