Truck Shite

quicksilver

I love Fodens with this cab and the oversized lights.

I bet that wagon is worth about as much as a Ferarri too!

Even early Magnums are extinct here now as far as I can see. I think a lot of them are shipped abroad once they have expired in the UK!

IIRC last year was the Maggie's 20th birthday and Renault were looking for the oldest one left in the UK. There's an LHD J-reg one with a circus but the oldest I've seen is this 93K model that belongs to a mate

4942608776_6d4d86801a_z.jpg

Magnum P.I. by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

and here's one of the 520 V8 models

5233690151_76b29f34fc_z.jpg

Magnum magic by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

I like the styling of the early ones so much better. Compare that to an FH, Scania or a Merc of the same period and it looks totally different :)

I joined Trucknet about a month ago. Spent hours looking through the old time lorries forum and the photography section. Very enjoyable!

Trucknet is full of opinionated nobheads. FAKHT! I checked out of there over a year ago and never went back. The only thing ot was good for was when I was doing my Class 2 and needed a recommendation for a local driving school.

Trucknet is full of opinionated nobheads. FAKHT! I checked out of there over a year ago and never went back. The only thing ot was good for was when I was doing my Class 2 and needed a recommendation for a local driving school.

+1. I tried to join, but something went wrong in the registration process. It was as if it was fated not to happen, which, having ghosted it for a bit, turned out to be a good move.

I like the styling of the early ones so much better. Compare that to an FH, Scania or a Merc of the same period and it looks totally different

First in a field of one for a long time. I've got an old copy of 'Truck' somewhere, with a test of the original Virage concept which led to the Maggie. Extra glass down to the floorline, and 'floating' control pods, but not so different to the finished item - it even had the original TBV semi-auto 'box in it too. Now it's less barking mad inside, but Renault couldn't help themselves but to ditch the sensible Volvo I-Shift selector, and make gear selection just a little bit mad! On the upside, there's only one speedo now...

I'm sensing a lot of love for the old Magnum here, I'm rather fond of them myself as they still look like nothing else on the road. They seem a bit odd as artics with that massive cab and nothing behind so I think the box body on the grey one makes it look much better.

Here's a few more:

5245889987_547b9c03bc_z.jpg

The wanderer returns by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5187092395_76b21e9c22_z.jpg

Magnum opus by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5674963891_581485a345_z.jpg

Don't mess with Messhams by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5246531374_36eab96a71_z.jpg

The Parrish arcade by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

Trucknet is good, buy you need to filter out the various braindead spackers who gob off on there. To be fair you tell them to bugger off without it all kicking off... aslong as you don't swear.

Seen a few Stobard haters/lovers on there have the odd 'OMG you're so jealous/Stobart killed my business' spat etc but the old truck bit is brilliant.

You can always spot a Magnum driver at a goods in window 'cos his paperwork always has teeth marks in it. (True)

:lol::lol::lol:

Made an arse of myself the first time I tried to climb into one. I didn't climb up the steps in the right order, and ended up shuffling along the ledge, and kinda throwing myself at the seat. This one...

IMAG0150.jpg

Renault trucks were bought out in 2001 or 2, by Volvo iirc. The engines, gearboxes and axles are all Volvo derived, tho' the chassis haven't changed much in years. It's a crying shame Renault haven't had the chance to pack the 16L lump into a Maggie, but you could see why their masters in Goteborg wouldn't be keen! There's meant to have been a new Maggie for a couple of years now, rumours are that it'll be out at the end of this year. The way it's going, it'll be the automotive equivalent of 'Chinese Democracy'.

SAStratoshunter.jpg

Have an old shunter I haven't posted in ages. Ex-Harry Lawson SA Strato, still smoking away at the Co-op's Carnoustie spud warehouse.

Is that a Cummins 14L one?

Thats pretty tidy for a shunter.

I remember spending afternoons down at my friend's dad's yard when I was a teenager, tooling around in F86 and F7 shunters that were proper bolloxed. No wings or lights and crusty wobbly floors :lol: 15-odd years on, his dad still had them tucked away in a shed. He's restored worse too!

It's not an E14, I'm pretty sure. It's either the 10 or 11L (more likely the latter), and there's a Twin Splitter in there too.

Now the work's gone quiet, I might find myself down at the Leith Docks job, camera in hand: if it's got a 10L Cummins/Eaton-Fuller/Rockwell driveline on it, they'll have it. You name it, they've got it - Ford, Leyland, SA, Foden, ERF, and everyone a horror story on (some)wheels. Last time I was down there, I got one just like the shunter I posted, but with the old DAF 95 cab. Lucky me, it actually had a windscreen!

Stepping back in time a bit from the Magnum, no review of truck shite would be complete without the legendary Carters Steam Fair and their incredible vintage transport fleet

5271613581_8488108fc5_z.jpg

Putting the Carter before the horse by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

4981756871_2336a01c7c_z.jpg

Octopus Mammoth by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640922163_44d76bb63a_z.jpg

Beware of Highwaymen by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640923277_e7186981b3_z.jpg

Take your Pick by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5175590954_dec1b03ac4_z.jpg

From fares to fairs by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5234317086_28b22c1669_z.jpg

Britain's oldest working lorry? by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5271613905_0fe8995485_z.jpg

Grit and determination by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

4954306163_017769a2b6_z.jpg

Fleeting glimpse by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640918101_0273da5102_z.jpg

Venturer ventures onto the fair by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5471771222_5008d6ca08_z.jpg

British and best by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640914401_e06ac3e05f_z.jpg

Old Seventeen by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640920391_e63bf6096e_z.jpg

Why Worry by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640919047_65f8eac8e9_z.jpg

Big Red Zed by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6640917003_623a1480c1_z.jpg

Hot Toddy by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

I found (actually I spotted it on Flickr and went for a look) an extremely shite lorry today. It's CSN487K, a 1972 Leyland Terrier working as a stationary engine in a sawmill.

6653655593_0100eba03d_z.jpg

P1020401 by RichardB5, on Flickr

6653667257_ecbb8ba5d0_z.jpg

P1020402 by RichardB5, on Flickr

When your hand gets sliced off you use the remaining hand to pull that wire that's hanging from the roof, the other end is tied to the stop plunger in the cab.

Made an arse of myself the first time I tried to climb into one. I didn't climb up the steps in the right order, and ended up shuffling along the ledge, and kinda throwing myself at the seat.

That is so true!, There's been a few time's I've got a lift of a lorry driver (and yet not been raped) at work, the quay is over 2 miles long and if your stuck at the top on shift change you either have to wait 10 minutes for the next shift to come out or you blag a lift in with a wagon driver, I can never get in the cabs as well as they do and i can never believe how large they are inside, they are like the tardis!

6100740129_afc19a6e94_z.jpg

Scania Longline Lorry with extra long cab by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

I some times see this one about, It has the longest cab I've every seen!

2n0vt04.jpg

261kxmx.jpg

Many of the wagons though come through the port like this on there way to warmer climates.

But most of them seem to spend most their time just crashing.

wspbgl.jpg

1de34.jpg

In my last job we were just off a main road and would regulary see large flat bed trucks delivering bare chassis lorries, presumeably brand new off to have the actual "working" bit bolted on. Obviously it makes sense as it's one truck so one driver, one lot of fuel etc but it always looked really odd.

Wow that is epically fucked!

These were made in Bathgate not far from where I used to live. I'm a big fan of the ex BMC lorries :D

I think it must be about as close to you as it is to me, it's in the wonderfully named Slack Wood a few miles outside Oakley. I don't know when it was last used, but probably a lot more recently than it looks.

I think Just about every Renault truck ever made counts as shite? I can't recall ever seeing a single one in preservation apart from one early magnum. I have never driven a magnum but the others were truly horrendous machines to drive, including the current laughably named "premium". Renault VI is pretty much kept afloat by the fact that its partly nationalised and that the French transport industry is a lot more patriotic than most.

I don't think the magnum is long for this world, they tend to sell about 5 or 6 a year in the UK.

Regarding the scania Longline, you can buy these from scania, its a factory built jobby with a US size sleeper cab, but very rare in the UK as it doesn't comply with our length limits when pulling a standard trailer.

would this qualify as shite?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49263046@N02/6290988415/

More like a true bona fide classic....the guy who owns this still works it everyday on timber, an outspoken guy who reckons new wagons are "crap". fair play to him