Truck Shite

quicksilver

What the hell is this? Some kind of Commer?

Commer Commando, later badged as Dodge. Some had Mercedes engines, which could account for the grille badge, although why it's on a 'C' sufix plate is a mystery...

EDIT: Beaten to it! ^

Deffo not a Commando, wheels are too small and the arches look home made. Merc badge seems to be a red herring. Best guess so far is a recabbed Commer BF.

Commando G08s ran on 17.5s...

6161715395_57aa124ef6_z.jpg

Dodge Commando by gylesnikki, on Flickr

Time was Swains must have had a massive fleet as they seemed to be everywhere...

SWAINS010.jpg

Last time I went to their yard they'd moved to Minsterley in Shropshire and only had a handful of trucks on the road.

And check out this picture I found on the net...

100_1388.jpg

Here's another Shropshire based firm that seemed to be everywhere at one time. I think they just buy/sell fridge trailers now...

100_3031.jpg

img840.jpg

truckphotos121.jpg

Ex-local firm who were based slap bang in the middle of some houses just off the A41. They moved eventually after numerous complaints about wagons being fired up at 2.00am and pissing off the locals...

ab4.jpg

For anyone interested this website...

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php

...is ace, if you like odl trucks and what not. There's scores of old pictures of class trucks and haulage firms.

Good thread. I've been into flashy trucks for many years.

468204851_652f56fa87.jpg

Scania by Tayne, on Flickr

More recently...

5731435179_6e46c3e5b4_z.jpg

Scammell Crusader by Tayne, on Flickr

5759230031_8fe251de80.jpg

American Towing by Tayne, on Flickr

5759515156_cc7987ab89.jpg

Blue Circle by Tayne, on Flickr

5762723708_ff74b6d8ea.jpg

1960 Foden by Tayne, on Flickr

5769136163_d1aee1dd4d.jpg

Seddon by Tayne, on Flickr

5769135727_50660d9a7a.jpg

Spare cab by Tayne, on Flickr

5769185449_cb625c2b76.jpg

Bright Bedford by Tayne, on Flickr

To carry...

5769723504_a6914ed72b.jpg

Natural Gas Stationary Engine by Tayne, on Flickr

5762461809_fc937e2eae.jpg

ERF! by Tayne, on Flickr

And the Yanks like to be a bit flashy as well...

5205428090_1038df5573.jpg

Name that truck. by Tayne, on Flickr

Yeah but the imagine the fun rolling up to Chumley and parking it outside my house?

I have actually had a scan round the internet today to see what sort of money would buy one but haven't found many (make that any) in a mingebag's budget.

Hey, Mr Scruff, any idea what that ERF would want for an MOT at all? Cheers.

Don't do it Billy!!!!!

Couldn't agree less! G'wan, you know you want to! :lol:

Don't listen to him! Old HGVs make series Landys seem like the last work in luxury. Price up a 22.5" tyre before going to view.

I know a few people with preserved wagons..as long as you start with something that's not already cream crackered and you can work on them yourself they need not be that dear to keep on the road. None of them buy new tyres, if a truck is not working for a living the tyres will outlive you and just perish over the years, so part worns is the way to go.

A solo tractor unit is quite capable of returning 15 mpg or more depending on engine and how its driven. some of the smaller gardners are good for 20 mpg.

With ERFs, although the cab skin won't rust (fibreglass) the steel frame inside certainly will, Parts can still be bought if you know where to look, as ERF used a lot of the same components of USA trucks in the '70s and 80's

The E14 cummins engine was one of the first advertised as a "million miler" so longevity not normally a problem.

If I had the space and a more understanding wife I would love a Ford Transcon or detroit powered Bedford TM

I have just dug out all my old copies of 'Trucking International' and 'Truck' Magazines from 1993-4.

One truck that featured in a tipper special and that I used to like because it still used the old Club of Four cab was the Renault Maxter/Manager. The Manager on test K206XKX is miraculously still on SORN!

Does anyone know of any others surviving?

Like this:

used-tractor-unit-40024368a.jpg

I also realised that early Volvo FH's are now really old. I was pals with Alec Andersons son back in the 90's and they had the first FH in the country. When I bumped into him some 12 years later in the pub, he invited me down to his yard to show me the same truck which had been completely restored :)

There was a G-plate G290 hookloader working into Inverkeithing dock on scrap metal, but I haven't seen it since the summer. Didn't manage to get a pic of it either.

Ditto the M-reg FH16 which passed me on the A1 by Haggerston Castle, back in the autumn. Silver cab, with the swooshy graphics, looking like it had left the dealers a day or two before. Fucking awesome? I nearly dropped my Yorkie*... :lol:

*And I was lording it in a Magnum, at the time!

Cant remember the last time I saw one. I have a 1/24 scale kit of a G290 and an early Magnum which have recently been unearthed and put back together, so I was interested to see if any of the real thing were still around.

Even early Magnums are extinct here now as far as I can see. I think a lot of them are shipped abroad once they have expired in the UK!

On the subject of these, I have just finished reading a '5 way 520 bhp' shootout article between a Magnum, FH16, Scania Streamline, Merc and a Eurostar :) That BHP was a big deal in 1993!

When I was a kiddie in the 80s in Manchester I lived (more or less) opposite the old Geoffrey Reyner yard in Droylsden. They operated out of an old Mill back then. It's all houses now, ofcourse.

http://paulanderson.pikfu.net/set183842 ... 20946.html

I can recall seeing E-Series ERFs when they were brand new (square lights instead of round, that's how I use to recall them lol).

2edv22w.jpg

Also, when I was into Mantas I was friendly with a dude from Cornwall who was a partner in a transport co. They had stash of classic lorries. Haven't spoken to him in years and I can only find one ikkle picture;

2nkoyfk.jpg

Cant remember the last time I saw one. I have a 1/24 scale kit of a G290 and an early Magnum which have recently been unearthed and put back together, so I was interested to see if any of the real thing were still around.

Even early Magnums are extinct here now as far as I can see. I think a lot of them are shipped abroad once they have expired in the UK!

On the subject of these, I have just finished reading a '5 way 520 bhp' shootout article between a Magnum, FH16, Scania Streamline, Merc and a Eurostar :) That BHP was a big deal in 1993!

Probly got that magazine somewhere myself! The oldest Maggie I knew of was an acquaintances' (iirc) '97 420, which he'd owned from new. He only sold it and quit driving a couple of years ago, but we'd stood and gassed about the joys of the B9 gearbox, and Maggie cab seasickness a few times by then!

The last V8 Maggie I saw would have been about '06, in at Somerfield's yard at Pitreavie, and it was an X-plate, so pretty late I believe. Last of the square headlight jobs, but it had the less-mental facelift interior, I think. (Pollock's ones I've driven are 54/55 plate high mile 480hp hingers btw, but still a lovely place to be)

Didn't the V8 Iveco have a ridiculously large engine? 18L or something like that? Curiously, there's more than a few 143's still charging about. Maybe next time 3663 at Larbert want something taking down south in a big hurry, I'll throw a wobbler, and ask for a 470 Centurion rather than the wee shitheaps they usually send us out in...! Some chance. :roll:

Excellent thread, and cheers Cavette for the link to that trucking forum, some excellent photos and interesting reads on there.

Crossley-Evans in Shipley seem to have a habit of running wagons long after most other people would have fragged or otherwise done away with them. All the more bizarre considering they're scrap metal merchants and are likely quids in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37406071@N ... 409496730/

Keep seeing one of his blokes driving about in a G-plated Foden skip wagon of sorts, often carting about what look to be forking heavy loads. Really pleasing to see summat like that still earning it's keep.

The top Eurostars had a 17.2 V8, only bettered by MAN's 19l v10. I have a 1:24 Turbostar from which the Eurostar carried its engine and even by scale standards it fills the chassis and looks huge!

The early Magnum dash is indeed bonkers! Kind of like a mad Renault 21 affair.

IIRC last year was the Maggie's 20th birthday and Renault were looking for the oldest one left in the UK. There's an LHD J-reg one with a circus but the oldest I've seen is this 93K model that belongs to a mate

4942608776_6d4d86801a_z.jpg

Magnum P.I. by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

and here's one of the 520 V8 models

5233690151_76b29f34fc_z.jpg

Magnum magic by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

TruckNet is addictive and I've caught up with a couple of drivers I used to know on there.

Talking of old wagons surely I'm not the only one who's been over the Snake Pass at 11mph for mile after mile because that old boy in the ancient Ernest Thorpe DAF was at the front? God alone knows how they quote for timed deliveries, presumably by the leap year!