Post a tip for other DIY shiters

RustyNuts

Ah yes hand washing... 

Orange Swarfega has micro granules in it which very effectively removes oil / grime from your hands. It's available at some supermarkets now too along with the usual eurocarparts and others (for some reason never seen it at halfords).

Tip for use though... only one or two squirts is needed. Anymore and it seems to dilute the granules in the soap liquid and then the effect seems to wear off. Fewer squirts = more granules in the soap and then it does an excellent job.

Sometimes it's nice to have a bowl of water next to the car along with the swarfega - then you can wash your hands at will.

Ah yes hand washing...

Orange Swarfega has micro granules in it which very effectively removes oil / grime from your hands. It's available at some supermarkets now too along with the usual eurocarparts and others (for some reason never seen it at halfords).

Tip for use though... only one or two squirts is needed. Anymore and it seems to dilute the granules in the soap liquid and then the effect seems to wear off. Fewer squirts = more granules in the soap and then it does an excellent job.

Sometimes it's nice to have a bowl of water next to the car along with the swarfega - then you can wash your hands at will.

Washing up liquid and sugar does a very similar job for a lot less :)

A small piece of blue-tac holds a screw against a screwdriver far better than fat greasy arthritic fingers when trying to replace something in a tight area.   Heavy grease or vaseline sometimes works, too, for holding in rubber seals during re-assembly, particularly on canister-type oil filter bowls.

A small piece of blue-tac holds a screw against a screwdriver far better than fat greasy arthritic fingers when trying to replace something in a tight area.   Heavy grease or vaseline sometimes works, too, for holding in rubber seals during re-assembly, particularly on canister-type oil filter bowls.

I spent 10 minutes today looking for a small piece of blu-tac for exactly that reason. Steering column shroud screw on a smart was being a pita because deep hole on an angle + slightly wobbly t10 torx head.

I use Ecover hand cleaner. Smells far nicer than Swarfega and works really well. I like to have wipes around when working on the car though. Also useful for wiping tools down after mucky jobs.

I have also lined my garage floor with cardboard. Absorbs minor fluid spills very nicely. I have a sheet that I place under cars when working outside. Has saved my driveway from more bloody oil spills.

Shop over the road from me always has a mountain of cardboard boxes outside.   I break one of them down for a laying mat, they can just go back in their recycle bin afterwards.

Yep, this is what I do as well.  

Mattresses or pads etc are OK but I find knee pads really useful for any job low to the ground.

Hand sanitizer is great for getting oily hands clean (better than the big bottle of Deb), especially useful if you keep a small bottle in the car for side-of-the-road repairs.

Baby wipes are pretty good too, and gentle enough for oily babies.

I don't recommend using babies for car repairs.

I was making a reverse blocking device to attach to my Morris 10 gearbox late last night. With the weld still glowing I thought I'd have a piss while waiting for it to cool sufficiently to be fitted. Brainwave, take the device along and speed up the process. My hot tip? Don't get it too close to your helmet.

Gloves are available cheap from places like Eurocarparts and I think beat washing hands everytime.  There's the issue of testicular cancer too if you go for a wee and your hands have engine oil on them, plus some of those hand cleaners have the plastic particles that people are getting worried about.

I think it is great: do a load of filthy work, take the gloves off and woo hoo clean hands.