Post a tip for other DIY shiters

RustyNuts

Ignore what the experts say, a four pot Sierra gearbox DOES fit a a V6 car. It just doesn't last very long as the input shaft doesn't reach the bearing in the flywheel.

This was important knowledge when a type 9 was £50 a pop.

No one needs a bloody concentric slave !

One of the most useless inventions in automotive history . Take a 20 quid part that takes 1/2 hr to fit and easy to bleed and replace it with one that's 50 sheets plus , needs the gear box out to replace and is a twat to bleed ( single pipe versions )

And for what ? A better clutch feel ? My arse . Try the clutch on a 90s Honda . Light as a feather and lovely to use - through good engineering and quality components not useless disposable plastic crap .

Grrr

When changing the front discs on a FWD car, once the disc is fitted start the engine with the gearbox in neutral, there should be enough drag in the components to cause the disc to rotate slowly. This makes checking for run out easy, just watch out though as the fact that one wheel is rotating but the others are stopped can bring on the ABS fault light. In some cars this might not auto reset the first time you drive it properly. 

Or just sellotape a pencil to the top of an axle stand, position the end of the pencil against the disc and manually turn the disc.

No one needs a bloody concentric slave !

One of the most useless inventions in automotive history . Take a 20 quid part that takes 1/2 hr to fit and easy to bleed and replace it with one that's 50 sheets plus , needs the gear box out to replace and is a twat to bleed ( single pipe versions )

And for what ? A better clutch feel ? My arse . Try the clutch on a 90s Honda . Light as a feather and lovely to use - through good engineering and quality components not useless disposable plastic crap .

Grrr

+++1200

Guess who has had 2 fail in a Gaylander 2 in the last 3 years ?

If a brake disc isn't keen to come off the hub you can help it along by screwing bolts through the back of the caliper mounting holes. Not too hard or you can snap them off, but a little pressure will make the next clout with the hammer much more effective.

On that note if you have two small bolts going through the disk to hold it onto the hub, they'll almost certainly be seized and you won't undo them with a normal allen key or star bolt bit. Instead you need a impact screwdriver - you insert into the bolt, twist in the direction of undoing and then whack with a hammer repeatedly if needed. It has a special mechanism that will applythe hammer force in the unscrew direction to undo the bolt. Without this, you'll almost certainly round out the head of the bolt.

If you're struggling to do up a track-rod end or other balljoint without it spinning, put a little grit/ dirt in the taper and push it in to position while doing up the nylock.

The dirt can be just enough to jam the taper so you can do the nut up  8)

Or use a normal nut to seat the taper, then replace with the nylock.

For condensation (water )in a petrol tank , just add some meths . It mixes with both petrol and water . Fuck knows if it works , i only read it somewhere  :-P

It does work, I have done it one motorbikes in the past but can make them run a bit lumpy. I don't know how it would affect a catalytic converter but maths burns pretty clean.