Mainly Mint Minx now too mint due to change in circumstances - Caution: Range Rover Content!

Junkman

Well this is been bothering me too, the bit that was missed, the "not PROPERLY British" bit.

And Angyl brought Talbot up which is exactly that...

So... has that lowered beige Talbot Alpine off of RR and ebay been rehomed yet?

Either that or a DMC-12.

I'd certainly not rehome a monged Talbot. And a De Lorean is way above my humble means.

0034: Stage one complete. 

Allegro had a minor problem. Dismal fuel economy, and ran poorly. We'd made it a little better with a previous carb tinkerage session, but no amount of fiddling with screws could compensate for the missing vacuum advance. I'd planned to drill a little hole in one of the spacers and hammer in a take off doodle, but was surprised to find the spacers were made of chunky metal. Darn. So I took the car over to Engineer Junkman, who drilled a proper size hole and carefully hammered the doodle in. 

post-17021-0-06472900-1474674470_thumb.jpg

The next two hours were spent fussing with the carbs until they ran reasonably right. Now it runs pretty well, but we won't know how the fuel economy improved until tomorrow. 

It's ready to go though...

0034: Stage one complete. 

Allegro had a minor problem. Dismal fuel economy, and ran poorly. We'd made it a little better with a previous carb tinkerage session, but no amount of fiddling with screws could compensate for the missing vacuum advance. I'd planned to drill a little hole in one of the spacers and hammer in a take off doodle, but was surprised to find the spacers were made of chunky metal. Darn. So I took the car over to Engineer Junkman, who drilled a proper size hole and carefully hammered the doodle in. 

attachicon.gifimpressive-quality-photo.jpg

The next two hours were spent fussing with the carbs until they ran reasonably right. Now it runs pretty well, but we won't know how the fuel economy improved until tomorrow. 

It's ready to go though...

Well, I'd be surprised if it makes it to Cannock without throwing the toys out of the pram. But that's not even the half way stop on our mission tomorrow, which shall lead us all the way to Ipswich to pick up the WBoD of my desire, which isn't really famous for being utterly reliable. Also, the whole endeavour is carefully planned so that the first sighting of the new chod shall happen at dawn and the trip back will happen at night.

I want that Chicken Badge I recently awarded myself with being withdrawn with a vengeance, so that at least a fraction of my former status can be reinstated.

I just hope the Autoshite Community is going to honour my penance and endorse my rehabilitation after this recent total failure on my part. I know I failed miserably, I accept all the blame for it, but I'm herewith trying my best to make up for it.

For the record, I'm doing this without any breakdown cover whatsoever!

Well, I hope Conelrad has some, but I don't really know why I doubt that.

With the exception of involving an a-frame, I think I'm doing everything right.

How long ago did Honda in Swindon or Nissan in Sutherland start?

Am I getting warmer?

b8b952dd352ec4e3b6a179b5fe0fbacd.jpeg

British-ish made me think perhaps an Indian knock-off but they're both out of Junkman stated means and likely to cause a bit of Delhi-belly by association I should think.  Therefore unlikely to be something like a Hindustan or a Standard.

Since Talbot was warm, perhaps Simca is warmer?  I propose one with the engine in the wrong end too.  Suitably obscure and a terrible idea to view in the daylight and drive home in the dark, unproven, for many miles, with an Allegro as back up.

vendo-simca-1000_9772e6060_3.jpg

Failing that, a more British alternative.  It's another doomed (DOOMED I TELL YE!) offering with the engine in the boot and a Reputation.

btc_481e-hillman-imp12-aug5-3131.jpg

I'm not en any route, because Conrad is queuing at a petrol station.

The petrol station only had one pump with unleaded, the pay at the pump rejected my card and everyone was stocking up for the apocalypse in the little shop.

That's what he says, he's actually in the back eating a ginsters pasty off his picnic tables.

Also this.