Stupid Exhausts

Josh_Cohen

Sounds good from the outside but can you imagine driving that all day?The HSTs don't make that noise any more, they've nearly all had new engines fitted in the past few years.
Nooooooo! Why would they do that, it's all part of the fanfare!? :( I saw some whilst we were in Bath last month & I don't recall them sounding different though. Is that not a recent clip above? If not I saw plenty of other HST clips including ones of them in the 'up-to-date' National Express livery & again I didn't notice that they sounded any different.

These are both the same locomotive, they changed from 431xx to 433xx when they got the MTU engines fitted.
Why has this happened? Not some poxy EU directive I hope, to remove all character & replace with something devoid of it? Were the original engines on their last legs? If so why couldn't they just refurbish the Valenta engines or install new ones?What difference is there now on a Class 43 before & after the change? The clip above with the MTU still sounds loud & diesel like but is it an awful lot different?PS: what does MTU stand for or is it just the name / manufacturer of the engine like Valenta?

All the original Paxman Valentia engines have now been replaced with MTU (the manufacturer name) units. There were twenty-odd units that had different Paxman engines in the late 80s as a triel with efficiency but they've not been converted to MTU yet I don't think.The only reasons for the change were noise, consumption and smoke issues. The Valentias were pretty old hat and they want to run 43s for a good 7 or 8 years yet so needed something modern.I do think they sounded better before, I blame hearing loss on standing near HSTs on startup ;)

The Paxman Valenta is a V12 engine and the MTU is a V16. The main difference is that the MTU doesn't scream like the Valenta.As far as I know (I could be wrong) there are still three Grand Central sets running Valenta engines. They have buffers too, which makes them look a bit odd.

Didn't stop a poxy one sitting outside my window for an hour ealier, while we regulated round the bloody thing!

You had a Class 43 outside your window?? :shock:
I am a Signalman Reg :lol:
That explains it! I didn't think HSTs ran through Essex, where are you based?