SiC's Silver Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector - Gone!

SiC

Rightyoh. I feel a bit better about this one now. :)

I bought this off a colleague here at work, who's owned it for the last 6 years. His wife car died, so he bought a her a brand new BMW and for short term bought a newer 9-5. Now the BMW is delivered, he is having the newer 9-5 and needed to get rid of this one. For him, he didn't want the hassle of getting rid, so hence the cheap price.

As he has been using it as a main driver, he's literally thrown money at it when ever its needed to. Unfortunately the crappy Cambridge Saab dealer didn't tell him (and he had no idea) that they were supposed to do ATF changes. So its not been changed ever. As a point of reference on the willingness to spend on it, its currently sitting on Pirelli P Zero tyres... Certainly no bargain basement rubber.

He actually had just driven it from Cambridge to Bristol and it was fine. He felt a bit guilty that it might be bit of a turd and offered some cash back - being a polite Brit, I naturally refused that offer. I gave him the cash and I now have the v5 in hand.

I knew about the transmission clunking between 1st and 2nd as he told me that before selling it. He didn't know about it slipping and getting worse like it did yesterday with me. Its been doing motorway runs for the last 4 years, so it'd been locked up in 5th with plenty of airflow keeping it all cool and he wouldn't have known about the slipping, etc to be fair. He did say that it clunked hard in lower gears when stuck in a motorway queue, but obviously it'll start moving again and plenty of airflow would cool it back down.

The oil pressure light might actually not be sludging. Underneath there is plenty of oil undercoating the sump, so it obviously leaks a bit. I thought it was overfilled from looking at the dipstick, however I did a noob thing...

When I checked the oil last night, I was searching for a dipstick. The only dipstick I could find is the one by the battery. So I presumed of course this was the engine oil dipstick.

post-20071-0-55639000-1474456073_thumb.jpg

As its so prominent, I didn't actually consider it might not actually be the engine dipstick...

Well it turns out, from my first Saab petrol, that actually the dipstick rather niftily is integrated into the oil filler cap!

s-l300.jpg

So the oil pressure light coming on is probably due to the oil leak making the level in the sump very low! I do know its going to be due a service soon (again was told). As he's been running it on the motorway, its very unlikely it's ever been sucking air.

Given that its a silver top and its been serviced regularly by a Saab Dealer, which has been using full-synth oil according to the receipts in the history, there should be no real sludging in there. Just low oil.

The dipstick I looked at had very dark blackish fluid, almost like engine oil. But the low light made it difficult to determine it. If its not grey, it might actually be salvageable with a very good fluid flush.

Hopefully!

Oh and another thing, front nearside alloy is different to all the others. Apparently a pothole put a crack in the original one and Saab no-longer sold the original alloys. As he needed something quick, he managed to source another alloy but of course a different one.

Hence its running on mismatched alloys.

Cheap car, well under the book price? Check.

Mechanical issues? Check.

Peeling lacquer? Check.

Mismatched alloys? Check.

Eligible as proper shite? :P

Just had the chap (he's a colleague) message me to say that he doesn't feel happy that he has sold me a dead car. If it can't be resolved and has to be sold for parts, if I end up out of pocket to let him know and we'll sort something out. Apparently it's been a fabulous car for him and he'll feel a bit bummed if it end of life ends up bad.

Top bloke. :)

I knew the risk taking on a 210k auto tbh, so we'll see how it goes. If ATF flush doesn't work, I'll flog off the big / easy to get bits and try and recoup the cost. I should be able to get most of that back and if I'm out by a tenner or several, never mind!

Same ATF as the Laguna as the same gearbox. Unfortunately only got 2l of ATF and it'll probably need at least 3l to do one change. But should mean the ATF won't be wasted if a couple of changes don't fix it, as I can use it on the Gooner.

I've used Wynn's in The Volvo's transmission in conjunction with a fluid change in the past (The fluid that came out of the transmission when I first changed the fluid in 2005 was pretty brown, but it didn't smell burnt or have bits in it), but I'm sure that there are other, more effective additives out there. I wonder if Forte do one?

I'm beginning to really want to save this. Hopefully some fluid change and, worse case snake oil will fix the transmission. Unfortunately my spanner spinning skills aren't good enough to be able to change transmission!

Going to top up the engine oil for now with my mix of oil can (all the dregs from past oil changes - mix of grades, but premium synthetic stuff though). Just because wrong oil is better than pretty much no oil!

I guess the dipstick is 1l from bottom of marker. I'll just keep topping it up until it gets to the bottom of the dipstick, then fill at least half way.

Hopefully it won't be too long until ECP do yet another 30% or free filter with oil offer.

From the internet, it appears they take pretty much spot on 4l from empty. Does this seem correct from the experience of the many owners here?

The previous owner seems a good sort. It's not like he offered a warranty is it and it is a cheap car but good of him to offer.

Not quite, but far more than I would ever expect on a £180 car! I've crashed and written off some of my Model Aircraft that cost more than that before now...

Genuine oil and filter from neo bros is under 30 quid delivered next day, and leaves a litre for top ups. Mine uses about a quarter of a litre in 1000 miles, but that was autobahn and the Alps in 35 degrees. I really can't bring myself to get rid of mine, I'm getting attached which I don't do with cars..it usually gets expensive...