SiC's Silver Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector - Gone!

SiC

5squids each

2 Kiltox

8 barmatt

14 Sigmund Freud

17 The Moog

19 blakey79

23 barmatt

25 primeradoner

27 stephen01

28 gadgetgricey

29 Kiltox

39 Sir Terence Wogan

41 Sir Terence Wogan

43 The Moog

44 gadgetgricey

45 primeradoner

53 Sigmund Freud

5squids each

2 Kiltox

8 barmatt

14 Sigmund Freud

17 The Moog

19 blakey79

23 barmatt

25 primeradoner

27 stephen01

28 gadgetgricey

29 Kiltox

39 Sir Terence Wogan

41 Sir Terence Wogan

43 The Moog

44 gadgetgricey

45 primeradoner

53 Sigmund Freud

56 the judge

Got the day off today for Xmas shopping. Naturally I don't want to do that. So instead I had a go at this reluctor ring, as the ABS kicks in when normal braking.

My god is that hub nut on hard! The breaker bar was bending far more than I liked. As it was my dad's snap-on breaker bar & I've already broken his snap-on torque wrench, I didn't want to risk breaking that too.

So did the laziest option. Booked it in to the garage for them to do it on Wednesday. Tbh with air tools, it's likely to be a breeze to do. I've temporarily disconnected the sensor to stop the ABS kicking in everytime.

This seems to be very unloved on here (or maybe too expensive?). So in an effort to make it more desirable*, I've just had the garage replace the ABS ring - so hopefully the ABS+ESP now works again.

So you've spent even more money on the car, despite knowing you'll never get it back ! You're clearly mad, and I salute you !

Put me down for two more tickets, because this raffle NEEDS to happen !

I must admit that I thought folks would have lapped this one up. First auction I've entered on here in ages. Maybe you need to change the ticket price?

How about £3.50 a ticket?

Obviously the £1.50 admin fee would be applicable, but it's still a better deal, clearly.

So you've spent even more money on the car, despite knowing you'll never get it back ! You're clearly mad, and I salute you !

Put me down for two more tickets, because this raffle NEEDS to happen !

It's a Christmas present to it!

Well, I'm already spent more than what I'm asking for, so whats an extra £35 spent on it! Also its a safety item (no ABS+ESP and iirc no brake compensation) and I don't want to sell a car to anyone that I know is dangerous.

5squids each

2 Kiltox

8 barmatt

14 Sigmund Freud

17 The Moog

19 blakey79

20 Sigmund Freud

23 barmatt

25 primeradoner

27 stephen01

28 gadgetgricey

29 Kiltox

35 Sigmund Fraud

39 Sir Terence Wogan

41 Sir Terence Wogan

43 The Moog

44 gadgetgricey

45 primeradoner

53 Sigmund Freud

54 Supernaut

56 the judge

I must admit that I thought folks would have lapped this one up. First auction I've entered on here in ages. Maybe you need to change the ticket price?

How about £3.50 a ticket?

Obviously the £1.50 admin fee would be applicable, but it's still a better deal, clearly.

I have seriously thought about it. I guess its a combination of time of year and I haven't done the best in selling on this thread. :mrgreen:

I actually have been really enjoying driving this recently. When I'm not driving it, it annoys me, but in the saddle I don't. So I haven't been in a massive rush just yet.

So far I've done about 700 miles in this in 3 months. I've spent: (First time I've done this...)

Repair costs:

• £80 - 2 new tyres
  • £45 - MOT
  • £20 - Oil + Filter
  • £36 - Interior fan
  • £6 - Vac Pipes (I won't include the pipe cost for the bit I broke)
  • £8 - Spark plugs
  • £34 - Repairing ABS Reluctor ring (They actually charged £30 labour, but I actually paid £40 labour to the garage, as I like them + its Xmas)
  • £something - assorted cheap interior cleaning products
  • £40 + £11 - Second hand valve body + Gasket Sealant
Insurance: £350 for the year - so £88 for 3 months.

Tax: £77.50 for 3 months

Purchase cost: £180

So far in 3 months: £625.50

Cost per mile: 89.4p - excluding fuel costs...

Which is fine, as I don't do this for profit (good bloody job really) and I've only done low miles which hasn't helped the price per mile. However I have 2 cars the same (i.e. this and the Gooner) plus have the Civic (reliable but not terribly exciting either), so only one of the two really gets used at a time by me. Often that is the Laguna because it has more toys. Also the missus wants kids. So I have a small window that I can buy a 2-seater sports car that we both can enjoy, before that will be gone! When it comes back again, I probably will be too old and stiff to be able to fit in a small, low sports car that only has 2 seats. Also January is the best (cheapest) time to buy such a vehicle - hence why I really should really get rid of this asap.

This certainly won't be the last Saab 9-5 I will have. Next will likely be a 9-5 HOT Estate - fast, comfy and great for transporting all the crap when you have kids...

So I have thought about reducing the cost, but its already a pretty darn good price even with the miles + gearbox for a 9-5. Any cheaper it starts getting a bit painful! However wait until I find something that I really want... (I have already, but lost out :( )

TWO PLEASE

5squids each

2 Kiltox

7 loserone

8 barmatt

14 Sigmund Freud

17 The Moog

19 blakey79

20 Sigmund Freud

23 barmatt

25 primeradoner

27 stephen01

28 gadgetgricey

29 Kiltox

31 loserone

35 Sigmund Fraud

39 Sir Terence Wogan

41 Sir Terence Wogan

43 The Moog

44 gadgetgricey

45 primeradoner

53 Sigmund Freud

54 Supernaut

56 the judge

Also, get a two seater.  Apparently, I'm no longer allowed one...

It's a Christmas present to it!

Well, I'm already spent more than what I'm asking for, so whats an extra £35 spent on it! Also its a safety item (no ABS+ESP and iirc no brake compensation) and I don't want to sell a car to anyone that I know is dangerous.

Fair enough, though many of us still consider ABS an unnecessary luxury and wouldn't call a braking system dangerous unless the pads are worn down to their backing plates !

I've not been keeping up with this, but... is the gearbox still dodgy?

Good question! Let's do the full run down.

Good bits:

• Its a turbo petrol big Saab.
  • Mega comfy and adjustable seats - as a Saab should.
  • Quick. Not lightening quick like an Aero, but does shift very well.
  • Huge boot.
  • Isofix seat fixing in the rear.
  • All mod cons work - like all 4 electric windows, climate control, ABS+ESP, electric mirrors, cruise control, CD player (and tape!), remote central locking.
  • Aircon works.
  • Chain driven, no cambelt.
  • 2 Keys.
  • MOT until October 2017.
  • Pads look in good nick.
  • No visible rust underneath. Rear side panel below the fuel filler flap has a graze on and very slight rusting to it. Not very visible.
  • Loads of paperwork covering pretty much everything for the last 5 years. The guy who owned it before was a colleague who is a contractor. Every week he commuted back and forth from Cambridge to Bristol/Swindon/Southampton/other places. Because of this, every and anything needed doing got done - e.g. brake pads are newish+master cylinder+coil pack+etc.
  • No outstanding finance.

Bits I've Fixed:

• Gearbox oil flushed through
  • Gearbox computer updated
  • Oil+Filter change
  • Coolant change
  • Gearbox mount replaced
  • Front left ABS sensor ring replaced.
  • Interior fan motor replaced
  • 2 new rear tyres.
  • Cleaned ignition barrel (fixed the remote central locking).

Bits you should know about:

• Front tyres are legal, but only have like 3-4mm tread left. These are however expensive and decent Pirelli P-Zeros.
  • I broke the ashtray cover trying to figure out how to open it (tip - its push, not pull). All the bits are still there, but would need gluing together.
  • Just about 210k miles. But fighting fit!
  • Has a oil leak. Actually not that bad. About 0.4l per 1000miles - no worse than a lot of engines with no oil leak. Plus oil for this is cheap (GM spec 5w-30) - last bottle of 5l I paid £15 from Asda.
  • Interior fan works but still is a bit anaemic. Enough to clear the windscreen and keep you warm though. Just not a hurricane like Saabs usually are.
  • Fan belt slips when cold. I ignore it. Adds to the charm*.

So that leaves the big one to go into a bit more depth - that gearbox. Yes its still not perfect, however its massively better. So much so, even me who can't stand problems with cars happily drive it as is.

Whats the problem? When warm and sat in traffic, shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd bumps/bangs/slips into gear occasionally. Originally it banged into gear really, really hard. Now it usually slips a bit instead, with the very occasional bang. The gearbox is by design supposed to slip into gears, just it does it a bit more now. Again, this is only when warm and if you've sat around for a bit.

How/why is it better? A couple of things I think. Firstly new fluid helped hugely. Secondly the Lucas Stop-Slip may have helped. Thirdly, now I know when its going to do it (about 6-10 miles after the engine is fully up to temp, stationary for a bit and when you start get a few light bump gear changes), I am just lighter on the accelerator (i.e. mechanical sympathy, instead of hooning it). Finally, the biggest thing that made a difference was the Gearbox computer update. This changed the bangs into more of a prolonged slip instead. Also reduced the frequency of the occurrence.

What is the complete solution/fix? Almost certainly this problem seems (from online literature - very common problem on this box) to be from the valve body. Replacing the valve body should solve this. Hence the second-hand valve body is included. Unlike Volvos + Nissans with the same gearbox, this is relatively straight forward to change with no sub-frame dropping, etc.

Why haven't I done it? Haven't had the time or enthusiasm yet and its too easy to ignore it... Depending on what the wife has planned for me over the Xmas break, I may do half a day at the local rent-a-ramp place and get it done.