Car Transport in NE Scotland - See page 5

Supernaut

A bit of backstory to this idea:

I've wanted a fizzy little warm hatch type thing for a while, but I keep ending up buying other things. Things like an Audi A4 quattro, a Vauxhall Omega, and a Citroen Xantia. I already have a local member of this very forum interested in taking on the Xantia once he shifts his current car, which is up for sale.

This project is my opportunity to own a Honda Civic Aerodeck with a 1.6 Vtec making a smidge over 120hp. The performance figures are bang-on identical to those of a Suzuki Ignis sport and other things of that ilk. Perfect.

This car has been sitting on 17-Coffees' parents' driveway since October 2014, when it failed its MOT on emissions. However, it only just failed the emissions test. Mr Coffees even went and bought a replacement catalytic converter for it, and chucked it in the boot. He then got distracted by a Suzuki Cappucino, a Lexus LS400 and an Abarth 500. He's offered to let me buy the Civic for. well, pretty much scrap price. This includes the coilovers, the aftermarket wheels, and the original wheels.

I reckon to get it through an MOT we'll need to:
- Fit the cat
- Service it
- Give the brakes a going over (possibly replace discs and pads)

Time for photos?

This is how it looked about two years ago:

post-19977-0-81905100-1474188029_thumb.jpg

This is how it looks now:

post-19977-0-78125100-1474188118_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-29230000-1474188179_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-56281200-1474188250_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-43479400-1474188320_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-49962600-1474188404_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-61037000-1474188489_thumb.jpg

The damage to the rear bumper was a hit and run while it was still on the road. It shall be getting duck taped up for the MOT, to avoid sharp edges, but then I'll look into sourcing a replacement. The car also requires a new resistor pack for the blower fan, as it only works on speeds 3 and 4. The air con still works though!

We have a friend who vulgalourises cars as a business, and offers mates rates. He may be getting called in for this. I hope he likes spiders.

I'm hopeful about this car though. We started it up on the driveway and it fired up, first turn of the key, and it idles smoother than the bloody 316! It just sat happily and worked its way up to temperature, making no funny noises or anything. A tiny bit of smoke / condensation out of the exhaust and that was it.

Once this is roadworthy, I can be 'scene' and JDM YO!

You may also see this car referred to as The Wolf. Look at the number plate and you'll understand why.

they did a VTEC YO version of that didnt they?167bhp or summat?

looks like a nice car under all the guff!

Aye, that was the VTi. It was a 1.8 Vtec. This is the lowly 1.6 instead. Still not slow, but not mental fast either.

The VTi also goes for hilarious* amounts when they come up for sale. I once saw a VTi aerodeck with 130k+ on the clocks, no MOT and various bits of damage, and the joker was asking £1,200 for it!

As Supernaut has said, this is mine. Been sat for so long due to me being lazy and not needing the car for use (other cars at hand). It got started every second time or so I visited the parents and rocked about in the driveway. So hasn't been sitting for exactly two years. 

She is my first car, and never had the heart to sell it. Also the fact it's been used as a shed for car parts and such. Always had the intentions of getting it on the road as it's a piss poor MOT fail:

Emissions being the big one, N/S/F wheel was stiff to turn, which after a bit of tinkering I got it free enough(that was 2 years ago) and the SRS light is on. (Had to jump start it, which causes the light to come on) 

Was a good car to drive as well, even before the coilovers and tyres. Yes it's all very scene looking but was done for handling reasons. The rest was because I liked it. Were only young once and all. :)

Rover 400 front end FTW.

I did look into the whole Rover 45 front end swap, Not that hard to do if I remember. :) 

If the engine is anything like the 1.5 VTEC-Es, the cat is a doddle to change. However, I reckon you'd get away with a bottle of Cataclean and a damn good thrashing, always worked for Alex's Civic.

It's easy to change, I'm just lazy... 

I did chuck in a bottle of cataclean and all it did was just make the car smoke. For the price of a new cat I though why not...and never got round to fitting it. 

So it has the "economy" v-tec rather than the fully blown v-tec YO, 

Indeed. A fine enough motor though, only problem I had with the V-TEC was the fact it had a badge from the factory saying it on the boot, therefore every yoof would see the car, see a young guy driving it and then see the V-TEC badge and think it must be running K20.

Despite me leaving the car to to become part of the ecosystem, I did look after it when it was in use and never let me down. (Okay, I buggered  the NSF wheel avoiding a badger. New wheel/tyre was bought). Good memory's with it and if this go's to plan, least I'll know he's taking good care of it. And I'll be able to nab a shot of her again if needed. 

Rolling photo back from 2014...

29734924186_c79e12a24a_c.jpg

'Wolf' on the move. by C C, on Flickr

Very scene as i said. :)

I really like these. I always fancied buying one and doing the 400 front end swap, has anyone done one before?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

400-estate.jpg

0gVtWWX4.jpg?0918

Rover45tourer2.jpg

In other news, I looked up the price of the first part for this today. I can get a replacement fan resistor on ebay for £9.99 including postage. That would restore full functionality of the heater blower. Not ordered it yet, as I want to take the original one out and check it looks the same.

400-estate.jpg

0gVtWWX4.jpg?0918

Rover45tourer2.jpg

In other news, I looked up the price of the first part for this today. I can get a replacement fan resistor on ebay for £9.99 including postage. That would restore full functionality of the heater blower. Not ordered it yet, as I want to take the original one out and check it looks the same.

You so have to do this! Looks fantastic. Going the other way has anyone built a vtec rover?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Always been quite fond of these, look forward to seeing progress.

In the late '90s I got given a company car. I started off with other people's cast-offs but I was getting close to a point where I could have chosen my own when I left to work somewhere else. Had I stayed I'd would more than likely have gone for a Civic Aerodeck - far more interesting than a Mondeo, 406 or the like.

Aren't they a bit 'lifestyle' i.e. not a huge amount of room in the loadbay?

Most of the ones I see nowadays are like this:

8704933683_f5f7a2e44d_c.jpg

Honda Civic Aerodeck 1.6i LS banger by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

If they're not using the rear bumper, I'll have it!

Also, regarding the 'lifestyle' comment. I don't mind really. I just prefer the way wagons look.

Make friends with your local racers.

I think the Aerodeck is the best-looking of that generation Civic. Wasn't there one model in the range that had leather and a sub-woofer?

400-estate.jpg

0gVtWWX4.jpg?0918

Rover45tourer2.jpg

iirc the red one belonged to none other than Colin Corke (the vicar of Dibley Longbridge) before he got his 75 wagon

Christ dont put a Rover 400 front on it, all that crome makes it look cheap and tacky, bit like most Rover 75s......

I love the styling of this generation Accord and Civic Aerodecks, the aerodecks look so much better than all of the saloons and hatches of a similar age.

My only car buying regret is that i turned down a 1.8vti aerodeck in the same colour as it just wasnt big enough to move all the stuff for my house at the time, now they all seem to be engine raped t replace a 1.5 in an ek civic hatch.

Looking forward to the updates.

I'm having a look in Glass's...

There is a (inhale)Honda Civic Aerodeck 1.6 VTEC SE Executive (with optional Sport pack), with full leather, CD changer, roof mounted rear speakers etc.

This one has the roof-mounted rear speakers! No CD changer though, and the half leather seats are from a VTI (not original to this car).