A35 Rollin resto

doobietoo

Bought this sight unseen off Ebay for the princely sum of £871.......

post-18157-0-45586300-1474127477_thumb.jpg

The listing said

all the brakes work but I was going to get them overhauled before she drove it, it drives nicely but needs an interior, exhaust, sills welding and paint job but will be a very easy project for someone

I think he missed out a comer after sills as in addition to sills it needs welding to the front floors, rear floors, front crossmember inner wheel arches front and back and a couple of other places, oh and the rear brakes don't work at all....

Not too fussed really as being a 1959 model its MOT and Tax free and the insurance quote was £73 for a year .....

Its coming home on Monday and once the brakes are fixed its off to get welded up, once a large amount of A35 shaped metal has been delivered.....luckily pretty much every panel and repair patch is not only readily available but is cheap to buy...

*sensible head* & I think this has been subject to discussion on here...... No TAX & No MOT.

A person [not you] steams off his drive, cracked xplys fail on tight bend - no brakes - Nuns & Kittens die.....

1). Police opinion upon arrival.. ?

2). Insurance payout.. ?

3). Old car community opinion.. ? (too many damn Nuns&kittens in UK anyway!)

TS

1 & 2 - It is illegal to run a car that is not "roadworthy" regardless of whether or not it has an MOT. Also an MOT is no proof of a car being roadworthy other than at the time/date it was issued. If the car was found to be not road-worthy at the time of an accident as a result of the owner neglecting to have it maintained I'm sure an insurance company would weasel out of a payout.

In the Isle of Man, there have never been MOTs, and when cars rusted a whole lot worse than they do these days, there were some truly appalling old bangers knocking about in the 1990s!

Talbot Solaras with full-thickness corrosion up to the rear quarter light;

Triumph acclaims with Wings rusted away almost up to the wheel arches

Mk1 and Mk2 Accords with holes in the boot lid that you could literally put your arm through.

There were also any number of Metros and Allegros in every stage of decrepitude

Were there any prosecutions for causing accidents with an unroadworthy car? Very few if any! As long as the brakes work, and the tyres are kept in good order, I really can't see you coming a cropper in an A35 - remember break neck speed in these is about 45 mph!

Well purchased my friend. An mot exempt car must be in roadworthy condition, and capable of passing an mot test. Fedz can seize an mot exempt car for the purposes of examination, if they have enough suspicion that it's being used in a dangerous condition (all recovery bills at owners expense).

danthecapriman, on 17 Sept 2016 - 5:25 PM, said:

Looks a good project. Can't wait to see more pics.

Oh go on then "Baby" came home today, so I got some pics....

20160919_173234_zps2enk4gth.jpg

20160919_173650_zpsgvh1oslx.jpg

Looks ok from a distance... and no problems with the boot... it even has a jack and a radiator muff !!

20160919_173628_zpslver4l9t.jpg

Under bonnet is ok too, engine runs and the car drives well

20160919_173338_zpsqxog6pij.jpg

.... electrics look complicated :-D and battery isn't charging which is probably this

20160919_173422_zpssl9d2ltu.jpg

Now onto the dreaded tin worm.....sills...

20160919_173726_zpsdpml1q7t.jpg

If that patch is a repair that is a worry as it is held on with self-tappers

20160919_173940_zps6v4yxpro.jpg

Inner wings....

20160919_174213_zpsimsaomzb.jpg

20160919_174146_zpsbah6d3kd.jpg

bit on the top of the sills...

20160919_173836_zpsrnzbbpiu.jpg

20160919_173824_zpsswqksnps.jpg

Front floor.....

20160919_173812_zpsahqnbagm.jpg

20160919_173740_zpsidxentvz.jpg

Seats are a bit worn but perfectly serviceable.....

20160919_173501_zps2h1okbsb.jpg

20160919_173608_zpsnqoub2jk.jpg

First job is to fix the rear brakes so I don't need to carry a brick in the car, hopefully its just adjustment. 2nd is to get the dynamo charging, hopefully I can remember how the voltage regulator works.... Oh and believe it or not its still positive earth... :huh:

I don't think mine was a lot better than that in the 1970s when it was half the age and still needed an MOT.....  

Club is good - well worth joining the Southampton & New Forest bunch as they have the top UK spares guy on hand.   Looks like it may have been a Carey & Lambert car judging by that Southampton reg.  Quite a late car, too, I am guessing.

I don't think mine was a lot better than that in the 1970s when it was half the age and still needed an MOT.....  

Club is good - well worth joining the Southampton & New Forest bunch as they have the top UK spares guy on hand.   Looks like it may have been a Carey & Lambert car judging by that Southampton reg.  Quite a late car, too, I am guessing.

. Within 4,500 of the last chassis number and matching engine and chassis numbers too, registered 4th August 1959 which seems pretty late for a 4 door, it must have been sitting around for a while before it was sold and registered.. I didn't know about the Southampton reg though.... or Carey & Lambert ... cheers for that info. Nice to know its less than 50 miles from its birthplace as it were... 

Although they might be made of Plasticine.......

These are the most desirable version, even classic British build quality can't make plasticine rust.