Dollywobbler's Honda S-MX - Provisionally sold

dollywobbler

Just back from another 400-mile trek in this thing. It is marvellously stress-free for distance driving, though my lovely bright orange wheels are no longer so bright. Brake dust all over 'em. I need to get an oil leak sorted - cam cover and camshaft seal I think.

5700 miles covered since September, so it'll be due a service soon. It had a fairly quiet winter, but the mileage rate has been going up this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped the oil on the S-MX, replaced the cam cover gasket and cam end seal (noting that one of the cam cover bolts doesn't seems to spin...). Back together, new plugs, (old ones very white...) and off with the oil filter.

Only the f*cking thing won't shift. So I'm now stuck here.

DBGA_VeXkAAioKK.jpg

Access is absolutely bloody awful, with the filter lodged beneath the air intake manifold, so the only access is from below. Won't undo by hand (which annoys me), my wrench is too bloody big, because the filter is stupidly small, nothing I do will free it off. I don't want to go all screwdriver on it, because then I really am screwed if it still won't come off, and covered in oil.

Even repaired a broken strap wrench only to discover there is not enough room to use the sodding thing. There are about three inches of working space around the filter. It's utterly shit, I'm very hungry and I wish I'd just farmed the bloody job out. Apologies for rant.

Dropped the oil on the S-MX, replaced the cam cover gasket and cam end seal (noting that one of the cam cover bolts doesn't seems to spin...). Back together, new plugs, (old ones very white...) and off with the oil filter.

Only the f*cking thing won't shift. So I'm now stuck here.

DBGA_VeXkAAioKK.jpg

Access is absolutely bloody awful, with the filter lodged beneath the air intake manifold, so the only access is from below. Won't undo by hand (which annoys me), my wrench is too bloody big, because the filter is stupidly small, nothing I do will free it off. I don't want to go all screwdriver on it, because then I really am screwed if it still won't come off, and covered in oil.

Even repaired a broken strap wrench only to discover there is not enough room to use the sodding thing. There are about three inches of working space around the filter. It's utterly shit, I'm very hungry and I wish I'd just farmed the bloody job out. Apologies for rant.

Fill it back up with oil and take it to your local garage?

You can change the oil filter with a sump full - the filter is way way above the oil level and only " wet" while it's running . I've got a tool for those filters but not much use to you in cornwall I'm guessing

Ah, that'd be why I don't remember you struggling to get the old one off! (which I recall looked like it had been fitted to the Titanic). I'm chucking new oil in then. Filter can wait.

Given up for now. Fresh oil is in. Have a slight issue in that I'd forgotten to fit a heat shield, but it's held in place by the one cam cover nut that's spinning. Oh dear. Wonder if I can get away with not having the heat shield fitted then? It does include a reinforcement for the dipstick...

Midges have ended play for today. 

Not much access for that on hondas. The cap type and a flex head ratchet spanner are best

Aye I've still got one floating round somewhere I think (might have sent it away with the Accord Coupe), if I can find it you can have it Mr Wobbler.

They don't cost much anyway. 

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-petrol-oil-filter-removal-tool-p-1912.html

I'm wondering if you can do an oil filter change while it's full of oil. 

Do things the Richard way, get a Pela pump, extract via the dipstick, change filter and fill again? Or am I missing the point?

I changed the oil of wifey's Grand Vitara a few weeks ago and could not get the filter off for similar reasons. Not my car so I didn't want to resort to hammering the brake-windback tool into the end of it ( which worked ok on my MR2) so I bought a selection box of cheap Chinese end-on filter wrenches from Amazon or eBay. About £22 delivered from somewhere in the UK. Sorted. I will never need another one will I?

I have had one of those strap wrench Sykes-Pickavant things for years and only found it to be useable once. If I have put the filter on there is never an issue with getting it off by hand. I guess main dealer "servicing" only includes the filter if it is very easy to see/get at so they sit there for years.

Why are oil filters on Japanese cars so much smaller than on Ford / Vag etc?

If it was weak it would throw the eng mgt light on with a fuel trim code . Hondas do run v clean but that plug is worn right out - poor spark will need a bridge to jump that gap

That's what kills coils and igniters

Odd. I've never seen plugs end up like that after 6000 miles before. I guess I have done a lot of motorway miles, so it's seen a fair bit of 3000rpm+ motoring - maybe a bit more than that when I was running late for Japfest at Silverstone...