Dollywobbler's Honda S-MX - Provisionally sold

dollywobbler

Quite boring so far. Now on the second of three trains. Oh, there were some non-spots, which include what looked like a Maltese bus camper thing, an Aston DB6 and a pair of Ford D Series fairground trucks, one towing two huge trailers and both crawling along and barely moving. Glad they were going the other way...

Right. Situation report. The headlamps appeared dead, but I'd spotted a spare bulb. Fitting it resulted in no light. Plugs are slightly melted. Outside of lamps in very poor condition. I wonder if someone has fitted more powerful bulbs to try and fix that problem. Wiggled bulbs, got light. Phew.

Other issues are a knackered stat and a tired wheel bearing. Downchanges result in a bit of revving, so new fluid would be good. Seems very solid though, and drives well bar horribly light steering. Typically Japanese.

Cruises beautifully and ride is not too bad at all.

That's a lot bigger a car than I expected it to be.  They have the look of something tiny like a Wagon R or a Suzuki Supercarry, it's just the number plate that gives the game away which makes me want to see one with a GIANT front plate so that the rest of the car looks as small as my brain wants it to look.  It's messing with my sense of scale and perspective!

That's a lot bigger a car than I expected it to be. They have the look of something tiny like a Wagon R or a Suzuki Supercarry, it's just the number plate that gives the game away which makes me want to see one with a GIANT front plate so that the rest of the car looks as small as my brain wants it to look. It's messing with my sense of scale and perspective!

Yeah, the number plate totally messed with my head!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

No curtains! Not much comfort either, but I coped. Now at Twosmoke's and we're halfway through the cambelt change. I say we...

Also doing oil and filters and changing transmission oil.

Good news is that the wheel bearings seem ok actually. Rear tyres are stepped so a full alignment check is going to be a good idea.

I still really like it.

I would imagine if the worst was to happen and the slush box failed, it would be easy enough to sort out a replacement?

I would be surprised if it didn't get fitted to everything late 90's honda auto.

Looks like on A.S 3 spokes are the preferred choice :D

The late 90s happens to coincide with a period in time when Honda made really shit autoboxes, technically excellent but quite fragile. I'd expect most Honda autos of that vintage to have expired with gearbox woes before anything else. Inaccessible internal gearbox filters was a design highpoint....

I saw a link on the SMX facebook page that someone had a few spare gearboxes, but I cant find the link now.

One of these installed in the return line can be a good idea, my old one caught a shed load of crud over 6000 miles.

http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-fine.html