4 SELLS!!! Mk3 Golf floppytop

Fabergé Greggs

• 3 weeks later...

This only came with one key so I popped along to the timpsons next to my work to get one cut. They said it has a chip in it and it'll cost £35.

Does the chip do an immobiliser or something? I'm surprised at this but then this is the youngest car I've ever owned so things like this baffle me.

It looks like so:

1046A373-34B9-4E08-A72F-A1D6440C944C_zps

Yep, theres an immobiliser chip in the key. Without it the car will cut out after 2 seconds.

It's an old system and a lot of locksmiths can clone the chip nowadays. Worst comes to the worst, you can buy a module off ebay for about £15 that supposedly completely defeats the immobiliser system,

I may have a Mk3 Airbag in the loft if you need it, but truth be known it's probably a dodgy connection. Simply take the cover off (two screws behind the wheel IIRC) and you'll see a yellow connector and a clock spring.

Close your eyes when you fiddle with it in case the airbag goes off.

(I'm joking - disconnect the battery and leave it for 12 hours is normally the message. I removed my airbag and fitted a non-bag wheel as I'd convinced myself it was an MOT fail for the light to be on, so I taped it over and spent more on a steering wheel than it would have done to fix it.)

I always get airbag lights and ABS lights mixed up - which is it that needs to come on, then go off properly. ABS?

I may have a Mk3 Airbag in the loft if you need it, but truth be known it's probably a dodgy connection. Simply take the cover off (two screws behind the wheel IIRC) and you'll see a yellow connector and a clock spring.

Close your eyes when you fiddle with it in case the airbag goes off.

(I'm joking - disconnect the battery and leave it for 12 hours is normally the message. I removed my airbag and fitted a non-bag wheel as I'd convinced myself it was an MOT fail for the light to be on, so I taped it over and spent more on a steering wheel than it would have done to fix it.)

I always get airbag lights and ABS lights mixed up - which is it that needs to come on, then go off properly. ABS?

That's mega helpful, thanks! I'll see how I get on blowing myself up.

Apparently the bulb being illuminated is a fail but a removed bulb is a pass when it comes to airbags.. I hope this doesn't mean I never fix it. (It does)

The 1.6 engine having 100bhp id guess is a 16v engine? The question ive alwaya wanted to know is why did some 1.8 engine only develope 75bhp? That was a low output for the era wasnt it?

Probably something to do with men in suits in offices with calculators

Old engine design. 

The 100hp 1.6 was an 8v. It used a different block with a better flowing head and multi-point injection compared to the early 1.6. For note, the early 1.6s used the EA111 block.

The 100hp 1.6 was the first use of block and design which would be used on the mk4 golf with a 16v head. This was a EA827/EA113 block. The EA827 had been around in larger displacement forms for a while in Audis and the bigger golfs.

The 90hp 1.8 as used in mk3 golfs was also EA827, but had single point injection and was basically the same old lump left over from the mk2 golf. The 16v KR engines were significantly better but also straddled both for absolutely no sensible reason.

TL:DR it's VW testing out a new version of an old block with a reworked head in a relatively old car.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=193691.0

I should get out more.

• 8 months later...

This is for sells due to TRABANT fundage! Also it's way too modern for me. 

I don't really expect it's in the usual shiters price range, but here's the gumtree ad: 

More detailed pics and description to follow. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/immaculate-mk3-golf-cabriolet-drives-like-new/1253191044

Seems an entirely reasonable price with that work done. I keep wanting to pick up a £300 banger one just to see how bad* they actually are given how unloved the Mk 3 is compared to the earlier ones. My 17-year old self was grateful for any convertible car I could afford!

A mate of mine had a diesel Mk3 Cabrio. Said it was factory and I cared so little I never bothered to check.

I thought it was a bit crap, soz.

Don't be sorry, it sounds like you and your mate had a really meaningful relationship on this basis.

The 1.6 engine having 100bhp id guess is a 16v engine? The question ive alwaya wanted to know is why did some 1.8 engine only develope 75bhp? That was a low output for the era wasnt it?

Probably some tax or emissions thing going on somewhere.