shite buy?!?

wilko

Got a female friend at work who wants a cheap car to run around & wouldn't mind a bit of shite!We are going for a look at an acclaim HLS tonight - owner croaked it 6 months back - car is one owner from new 41,000 miles but MOT has expired - supposed to be in very good condition.Sadly it is a normal metallic red colour, not the shite-tastic metallic green or beige!!!opinions please on a sensible price?

Advertised for 300 at the moment, but I intend to drive a hard bargin and pay no more than half that!Pretty cool for a bird to want to buy shite voluntarily I think... I've promised her I'll look after the mechanicals.If it turns out to be a shed I'll probably banger race it when she's finished rather than inflict it on anybody else as they make very good bangers for the 1400cc meetings - if it's clean & proves to be reliable it will probably end up on the bay in the summer when she's saved up for a new car.

Eddie - I've got an Acclaim engine and 5 speed box I extracted for the very same purpose - but it's been sat out (under a sheet) for some time now. Carbs, gear linkage, exhaust all the bits really (if I can still find them!). I'll have a peep under the cover - if it's still in good nick and worth the trip to get it you can have it gratis. I kept the cross member too - differs a bit from the Civic one.Wilko - I love Acclaims, very underrated at the time 'cos they were mostly driven by old shrinklies - not good for the image (unless you're into Autoshite :D ).Rear of the sill and rear arch seems to be where they rot. Around the boot aperture / rear lights and the front valence too? If I recall from when I welded a mates, the rot at the back of the sill gets quite close to a suspension mount?It's all down to how rusty it is I guess - at 41k it should be machanically sound I'd have thought. Your hoped-for top-price of £150 sounds good to me if it needs no welding. Otherwise scrap value only!

Acclaim was purchased - she ended up giving him £200 for it which I thought was a little high, but she "fell in love" with the squashy seats, skinny steering wheel and the barking twin carb honda lump!Both sills were recently repaired with a patch about the size of a couple of fag packets near the rear wheel arch - repair was a good standard and there was no further structural rot.There is a little bubbling on the valance as expected and on the rear arches and a cracked indicator lens, but other than that it is a nice one.Picking up sunday, MOT on monday - I'll post progress and p[ics in due course!Another female member of my team at work has decided she too is a shite fan and now wants my help buying an 80's merc 190e!!

So long as the MoT gets passed with no problem that sounds a decent buy. I have fond memories of ours, used by Mrs SL for some years and took us to France a couple of times.I'm often struck by how the Accord feels like a grown-up Acclaim.Edit: I have a load of spare lights for Acclaim. I'd happily move them on for cost of postage plus a nominal contribution to the shite-fund.

Good work Wilko, hope it works out well for her. Fingers crossed for getting a ticket.There's possibly the best 190E I've seen over on retro-rides.com, pricey (I think he wants at least £900) but, in my opinion, worth it. Even has working air con!