Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

shite buy?!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilko

wilko

• Full Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Got a female friend at work who wants a cheap car to run around & wouldn't mind a bit of shite!We are going for a look at an acclaim HLS tonight - owner croaked it 6 months back - car is one owner from new 41,000 miles but MOT has expired - supposed to be in very good condition.Sadly it is a normal metallic red colour, not the shite-tastic metallic green or beige!!!opinions please on a sensible price?

#2 OFFLINE   Torsten2001

Torsten2001

• Full Members
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

great, great cars, no more than £50 though on principal

#3 OFFLINE   wilko

wilko

• Full Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

Advertised for 300 at the moment, but I intend to drive a hard bargin and pay no more than half that!Pretty cool for a bird to want to buy shite voluntarily I think... I've promised her I'll look after the mechanicals.If it turns out to be a shed I'll probably banger race it when she's finished rather than inflict it on anybody else as they make very good bangers for the 1400cc meetings - if it's clean & proves to be reliable it will probably end up on the bay in the summer when she's saved up for a new car.

#4 OFFLINE   Ratdat

Ratdat

• Full Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

I'll buy the engine off you if it's ever going spare. I could do with a decent engine for my Mk1 Civic until I get round to building a "hot" one.

#5 OFFLINE   mouseflakes

mouseflakes

• Full Members
  • 4,179 posts
  • LocationThe DMDC 'Finds' Table

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

Eddie - I've got an Acclaim engine and 5 speed box I extracted for the very same purpose - but it's been sat out (under a sheet) for some time now. Carbs, gear linkage, exhaust all the bits really (if I can still find them!). I'll have a peep under the cover - if it's still in good nick and worth the trip to get it you can have it gratis. I kept the cross member too - differs a bit from the Civic one.Wilko - I love Acclaims, very underrated at the time 'cos they were mostly driven by old shrinklies - not good for the image (unless you're into Autoshite :D ).Rear of the sill and rear arch seems to be where they rot. Around the boot aperture / rear lights and the front valence too? If I recall from when I welded a mates, the rot at the back of the sill gets quite close to a suspension mount?It's all down to how rusty it is I guess - at 41k it should be machanically sound I'd have thought. Your hoped-for top-price of £150 sounds good to me if it needs no welding. Otherwise scrap value only!

#6 OFFLINE   Ratdat

Ratdat

• Full Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:40 PM

Ooh! Let me know if it's servicable still and I'll be happy to make the trip to come get it!

#7 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Ebay relists are all my fault. Ha Ha Ha!

• Full Members
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

My user name says it all!Although £100 shite is getting hard to find. I will be lurking with cash when the xmas credit card bills arrive. 8)
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#8 OFFLINE   wilko

wilko

• Full Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Acclaim was purchased - she ended up giving him £200 for it which I thought was a little high, but she "fell in love" with the squashy seats, skinny steering wheel and the barking twin carb honda lump!Both sills were recently repaired with a patch about the size of a couple of fag packets near the rear wheel arch - repair was a good standard and there was no further structural rot.There is a little bubbling on the valance as expected and on the rear arches and a cracked indicator lens, but other than that it is a nice one.Picking up sunday, MOT on monday - I'll post progress and p[ics in due course!Another female member of my team at work has decided she too is a shite fan and now wants my help buying an 80's merc 190e!!

#9 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,085 posts
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

So long as the MoT gets passed with no problem that sounds a decent buy. I have fond memories of ours, used by Mrs SL for some years and took us to France a couple of times.I'm often struck by how the Accord feels like a grown-up Acclaim.Edit: I have a load of spare lights for Acclaim. I'd happily move them on for cost of postage plus a nominal contribution to the shite-fund.

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL project car (still on hold); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL (was daily driver, written-off and awaiting repair)
1996 Lexus LS400

And a couple of modern Toyotas.

#10 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 3,988 posts
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Good work Wilko, hope it works out well for her. Fingers crossed for getting a ticket.There's possibly the best 190E I've seen over on retro-rides.com, pricey (I think he wants at least £900) but, in my opinion, worth it. Even has working air con!

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#11 OFFLINE   Volksy

Volksy

• Full Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationThe vortex that transends time and space leading to destruction of the universe

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

Acclaim adverthttp://uk.youtube.co... ... re=related :D

#12 OFFLINE   pandamonium

pandamonium

• Full Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationTraveling in space and time.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

totally equipped to triumph! pmsl :D

2014 Seat Ibiza 1.2 S A/C 5dr - Boring company car

1988 Austin Metro 1275 Auto - Vanden Plas!

1987 Lada 1200s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users