My Fleet - end of year update

They_all_do_that_sir

So as most of you know, I've bought Jonathan_dyane 's XM, and I'm aiming to bring it over to Belfast. I thought it only fair to start a collection thread.

I'm flying to Liverpool next Thursday, and sailing home from Birkenhead to Belfast on the Friday night boat. Everything is booked, and I am mega excited!

In preparation I bought last month's practical classics magazine:

4612a99fb85bffbb6a7ad071795b5cd0.jpg

And also Lenny Kravitz's "Are you gonna go my way" album on cassette as it was released in 1993. Wifey now thinks I'm even more of a sad bastard than she first thought. But I'm sure you lot understand me wanting to create the full 90's vibe on the way home.

31496cb0b4d334fcbfc984964b06c9e5.jpg

What sold me on the XM? Aside from the fact I've always admired them, and want a 90's tow car for my 90's caravan, when I saw the interior shot of Jonathan's car I just fell for it. That steering wheel, those seats....the stunning wheel trims sealed the deal.

I know the car isn't perfect, I remember the crash pics from this very forum and I came across it on the XM forum recently, which kinda sounds like I've stalked Jonathan a bit!

To be fair to him I'm staggered at the amount of work he's done to this car, and I'm inclined to think it's better than I first thought.

I've signed up there and I'll maybe copy this post across and say hello. Seem like a decent bunch of lads from what I've read.

Anyway, once it's home I plan on first sorting the leak but as it won't be a daily I can take my time. Any pointers on the right sort of coolant for these beasties?

Next will be the hydraulic pump - if I read the advert properly there's a spare pump with a leaking shaft included, it would do no harm to attempt a DIY rebuild of this.

I noticed on the XM forum it's running a xantia diesel pump. If this does the job I'll likely leave it be however I'll see what Jonathan's opinion is here, he's been using it after all.

The lacquer peel I plan on flattening back / reapplying lacquer. It's a technique I've had varying success with. I know respraying is probably the proper solution but I think I can neaten it up enough this way.

Just need to hit buy on the insurance quote - 3000 mile limit fully comp for £240! Tried some classic policy quotes but they were all more expensive and more restrictions on usage e.g. no commuting.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Everyone on here told me not to buy a cheap XM as it'd be a complete and utter disaster. It really wasn't. If you've already found Club-XM, then you're in good company.

I've watched all your XM videos on YouTube. They have only served to increase excitement levels even further!

I've a feeling ths XM will be better than DW's example, which cost many times more.

As for the limited mileage, you'll either have to have the misfortune of a speedo cable failure or up the policy - there's no way a decent XM can sit so long doing nothing without sulking and costing you more in either being forced into a modern Peugeot or summit even worse.

Club Xm are a fine bunch. XM 2.1s appear Leboncoin with massve mileages in excellent order - putting on the miles isn't a problem. Lack of use has always been much more of a problem for big Cits. I've a set of spheres if needs be, although from what J-D says they're fine. Use it and enjoy. 

I've a feeling ths XM will be better than DW's example, which cost many times more...

As for the limited mileage, you'll either have to have the misfortune of a speedo cable failure or up the policy - there's no way a decent XM can sit so long doing nothing without sulking and costing you more in either being forced into a modern Peugeot or summit even worse.

I have no free parking at work, so the motorbike is still the cheapest commute, not to mention the fastest

I've already got an urge to take it to France for the craic but that's a long long way off.

Collection day has arrived! Flight isn't till this afternoon but I took the whole day off to prepare:

fdb6fdc34281ad3f8127db8e914a516f.jpg

4d9024ec6ffaa5f28fbc6607d938a36b.jpg

Essential work to prepare the mind (insert other lifestyle bullocks as appropriate)

Whilst enjoying my late breakfast, I received some news:

f640e0062c29af888d14bfb8dcb0335d.jpg

Bumhats. Well it's only 20 minutes (so far) to be fair if it's delayed enough so I'm owed compensation I won't be complaining!

Good luck with this! I have a slightly strange relationship with the XM. I was/am a lover of the CX shape, and when the XM came out I thought it looked a bit peculiar. Whilst I accept that a proper Citroen should look a little peculiar, I felt the XM was perhaps a little too peculiar.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I saw a shabby one parked at the end of my road. It was silver which I normally hate and almost entirely matt, like it had been in the sun all its life. It still looked mighty odd - but also so very right.

I like them now. I have the XM tune playing discretely on my lap top as I type this, mentally floating over impossibly smooth tarmac as I charge south to the sun in my big Citroen...