Megabarg Omega. Saturday draw. Roffled and out

drum

After the death of my disco, I've been on a desperate search for a frugal diesel estate or van. So when a 2.6 v6 saloon became available locally, I had to jump on such a perfect fit for my needs.

It ticks none of the boxes except the most important one - the want box.

I've joined the omg omega gang.

post-5582-0-49360000-1473023126_thumb.jpg

post-5582-0-46756900-1473023202_thumb.jpg

post-5582-0-83465800-1473023370_thumb.jpgpost-5582-0-18847000-1473023436_thumb.jpgpost-5582-0-70317900-1473023508_thumb.jpg

It's black, has leather, auto and is waftastic. I love it.

Only things letting it down are the airbag light, scruffy steering wheel and a couple of tyres by Kamikaze.

There is a hot smell after a drive which I think is the front brakes.

It's very clean.

Finest motoring for blue label money.

Mot until May next year with loads of history.

I had taken a wad out of the bank for new car purchasing and still had a fair bit left over after the morning omega buyage.

So off I set this afternoon with wife and child promising them a nice lunch in St Andrews. By coincidence* there was a subaru in St Andrews I wanted to buy so why not kill two birds?

Unfortunately, lunch took too long and th r scooby was gone before I got to it.

Who cares? The omega was wafting along nicely and I was enjoying the run. Wifey, who had taken against the car from the off was complaining of a different waft. She reckoned there was a stale ciggy smell and started breathing through a tissue!

During lunch and on finding out the subaru was gone, I started correspondence with a volvo seller in Dundee. A fool and his money are soon parted and this fool was in a hurry.

We stopped off to see the v70 d5 on the way home. It seemed good and I might go back down for it during the week.

Mrs PBK always, always says the cars smell of something or other. This is despite me valeting the things to the best of my ability. I can never detect any smells. Must be like those neighbours who complain about my cars but never ever say anything to me, only her. Funny that.

Part of me kind of regrets selling my Omega, as it was a very nice example.

Then I realise I have just as much (if not more) waft in the Xantia, with a non-Vauxhall interior (no, really. I actually cringed every time I got into it) and twice the OMGMPGs. :D

However, it was a good steer and made a nice noise. Part of me wonders if it had been a manual... would I have kept it? Probably. I found the autobox on mine shite. It was far, far too keen to kick down all the time and rev its tits off.

Top motoring!

I've had two-an S reg 2.5 auto estate bought at 3 years old (when I was younger and stupider)-kept it for nearly 10 years. Replaced it with a T reg 3.0 Elite estate (lasted 2 years). The 2.5 always smelled a bit hot/oily-I had the rocker gaskets replaced and it did improve. Used both to tow the tin tent. The elite estate had an instantaneous consumption read out-lowest I got it was towing the caravan up the Heads of the Valley towards Merthyr-foot down at 60mph-7MPG.

Only got rid of the Elite because the Mrs used it around the doors and it was too juicy. Even had heated rear seats!

Omega owners forum a very helpful bunch!

Very, very underrated cars!

Steve

Thats Noice!!

Whats happened to the steering wheel? The interior looks lovely except for the centre part of the wheel.  Can you replace it without getting airbagged?

Still, that is a bargain and these are good looking motors.

Would.

Not sure how it's happened but the black coating has peeled off the steering wheel. I'm tempted to scrape the rest of it off and spray it black paint! Probably a bad idea.

The headlight lenses are letting down too. Does the toothpaste fix work?

Not sure how it's happened but the black coating has peeled off the steering wheel. I'm tempted to scrape the rest of it off and spray it black paint! Probably a bad idea.

The headlight lenses are letting down too. Does the toothpaste fix work?

Try that tube of metal polish stuff (forgotten the name) and a new sponge (not an old soft worn out one)

I used kitchen 'cream cleaner' on the Kia's  headlights and that worked a treat.

I loved 'my' Omega (it was company car) and had years out of it merrily blasting around at someone else's expense! I have NEVER been a fan of Vauxhalls and yet the few I have had have been great: Omega, Cavalier estate, Astra they just never seem to seep into my emotional core so I don't feel the love, but that Omega, even though I didn't 'love'it was a lovely car, was high spec (and everything worked and always did!) auto and was smooth and reasonably rapid but the fuel consumption wasn't great... but I wasn't paying! :)

Covering coming off the steering wheel?  TADTS.  They have the same 'soft touch' covering on bits of the door cards too and that peels off.  I found the Omega disappointing because they feel nice and solid and aren't a terrible looking thing.  Inside they're cramped and dark, uninspiring and everything is just far too chunky.  To drive they have the feel of a car designed to be admired by ham-fisted middle managers that haven't the budget to stretch to an entry level BMW... my apologies if you're a ham-fisted middle manager.

• 2 years later...

This is sitting gathering bird shit in my shed. Has been since I bought it. Any interest here?

An mot will obviously help so I'll pluck up some arsedness and put it in for one.

If I get a years mot, how does £400 sound?