Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's a Maxi adventure - Maxi in the media

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Great stuff - but is it gas or rubber sprung? I got to know!

#62 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationthe universe of infinite turtles

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Great stuff - but is it gas or rubber sprung? I got to know!

Still not sure to be honest - depends exactly when it was built, which we don't know (Gaydon don't have the records for Maxis so no Heritage certificate :( ). Need to get it on a ramp and have a proper look but we think it's gas.

Always look on the Shite side of life

1999 Vauxhall Zafira - shit or shite?

1978 Austin Maxi - proper shite or proper classic?

1972 Renault 6 - genuine garage find

Rusty Old Rubbish - a shite blog about shite and stuff

#63 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 2,866 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:53 PM

Need to get it on a ramp and have a proper look

Get on your bloody hands and knees!!!!
  • Nibblet likes this

#64 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

I had a Maxi adventure this year, my mate Martin C gave me a lift to Wroxham in his Limeflower beast, was a smooth cruise there, but old Maxine got a little hot and bothered in traffic, but no FTP was had. 

attachicon.gifMaxi LPU457J.jpg

• flat4alfa likes this

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#65 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

About time I updated this but there really hasn't been much to report. The Maxi is great at just being an car and doing everyday car things like shopping, going to work and visiting friends and relatives. It's been just over 6 months and it's already done over 1000 miles as my dad just loves driving it - of the three cars we have the Maxi is the one that gets most use! It's definitely getting better with use and we've spent a lot of time just tinkering and improving it a bit at a time. Wherever we go there's always someone who wants to talk about it from the moment we arrive so a Maxi is not a car for people who want to keep a low profile.

Sadly it's now broken - he rebuilt the brakes a week ago but when we went to use it today it felt like it was trying to pull away with the handbrake on so that's something to look at tomorrow.

Here it is in a prime spot at Bicester Heritage a few weeks ago

34283548286_bfaf84fd23_c.jpg

1978 Austin Maxi 1750 by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And when we went to see the similar car that Bunglebus posted in the spotted thread

34415829342_1a14b32e10_c.jpg

Maxi twins by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

• mk2_craig, trigger, The Moog and 14 others like this

#66 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

Oh and to answer the suspension question, it's Hydrolastic. Although registered in March 78 the chassis number indicates it was actually made in 1977. Hopefully that means tax exemption next year.

• Magnificent Rustbucket, Asimo and Eddie Honda like this

#67 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

Good to know it's been going OK. Better for the brakes to fail in the way you describe than when driving along....

The home of one previous owner Japanese cars:

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL (definitely just for spares now); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL on the road again!!

And a couple of modern Toyotas

#68 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

Making Horse noises

• Full Members
  • 3,485 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationWith you pair of Pilchards

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Maybe one of the brake liners has come off one of the shoes? That could jam the rear brakes on. If the shoes were replaced recently they could have been new/old stock and the adhesive between liner and shoe has given up
  • shumarialto likes this

#69 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 2,866 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

Oh and to answer the suspension question, it's Hydrolastic. Although registered in March 78 the chassis number indicates it was actually made in 1977. That means no dreaded nitrogen leaking forever.

FTFY ;)

#70 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

Well, the brake issue was weird. First thought as Parky suggested was that the lining had separated from the shoe but all the shoes were still intact. There was what looked like a load of rubber on the inside of the drum and it appears that a strip of the friction material has worn off the centre of the lining a bit unevenly so it could be that they're dodgy linings. It's all cleaned up and put back together and fingers crossed seems to be ok so far. If the worst comes to the worst, the old shoes are still ok and can go back in for now.

And yes, no pesky gas to worry about and we know someone nearby who now has a Hydrolastic robot should it ever need a good pumping :)

#71 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

That's Maxine, she's a beast

• flat4alfa likes this
Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#72 OFFLINE   RustyNuts

RustyNuts

• Full Members
  • 760 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

My grandad had one of them Maxis.. a blue one. It was fab compared to all of his previous shite - and by shite i really do mean proper shite - the type he'd be banned from this forum for lol.

The Maxi was the newest and best condition car he ever had. Well my nan did buy him a renner savanna for £150 once.. but that didn't last as long as the maxi. Oddly despite being the best of the bunch he hated it because it had no power steering (like all his cars) but was front wheel drive adding that extra weight. For a bloke who was a bus driver of the proper old english busses you wouldn't think it would really matter to him much but there we go..

I kinda like cars... just as long as its my favourite one and no other  8)

#73 OFFLINE   Squire_Dawson

Squire_Dawson

• Full Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Surely these have manual brake adjusters? And the wheel cylinders operate on the sliding backplate principle? In which case, a dollop of Girling green brake grease will work wonders.

Squeak, rattle and roll.

Thanks restorer.

SAVE OUR PANGOLINS.

#74 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 228 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

Nice Maxi, colour wise, difficult to tell from a foto over t'interweb, but Flamenco was a 77'78 BL & Triumph Colour, a medium red.  Carmine was a very dark red, polura on Triumph's but IIRC other BL Models (Maxi & Allegro & Princess) also used the colour.

#75 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Well, it would seem we've been using the Maxi too much :) Summer's only just begun and we've already used up three quarters of the mileage allowance on the insurance without doing any particularly long journeys as it's just so enjoyable to drive. The brake issue seems to have sorted itself out and everything is going well so there's not much to report, except that it's been to a few more local shows recently and done some ordinary car things. Anyone going to the BMC & Leyland day at Gaydon should see it on the Maxi club stand, and of course it'll be in the Field of Dreams on Sunday.

Nice Maxi, colour wise, difficult to tell from a foto over t'interweb, but Flamenco was a 77'78 BL & Triumph Colour, a medium red.  Carmine was a very dark red, polura on Triumph's but IIRC other BL Models (Maxi & Allegro & Princess) also used the colour.

It is Carmine, confirmed by the club. Funnily enough there was a Carmine Spitfire at the most recent show and dad commented how good it looked in that colour, then I pointed out it was the same as the Maxi. Several people have suggested it is Damask but I know that's much darker as it was the colour of dad's Morris Minor and I use it on many of my models.

• The Moog, Magnificent Rustbucket, Six-cylinder and 1 other like this

#76 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Good to hear it's going well.

Do you have a BL workshop manual for it? I stumbled across one in the shed, can bring it along to FOTU if it’s something you could make use of.

The home of one previous owner Japanese cars:

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL (definitely just for spares now); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL on the road again!!

And a couple of modern Toyotas

#77 OFFLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,230 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

It's a good sign when the biggest expense on the horizon will be increasing the mileage allowance. It must be great to have a car that you just love driving!

2017 Dacia Duster 1.6 Ambience

2000 Corsa B: Broken

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

Click here for model car reviews and fleet updates: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#78 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,152 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

Well, it would seem we've been using the Maxi too much :) Summer's only just begun and we've already used up three quarters of the mileage allowance on the insurance without doing any particularly long journeys as it's just so enjoyable to drive. The brake issue seems to have sorted itself out and everything is going well so there's not much to report, except that it's been to a few more local shows recently and done some ordinary car things. Anyone going to the BMC & Leyland day at Gaydon should see it on the Maxi club stand, and of course it'll be in the Field of Dreams on Sunday.

It is Carmine, confirmed by the club. Funnily enough there was a Carmine Spitfire at the most recent show and dad commented how good it looked in that colour, then I pointed out it was the same as the Maxi. Several people have suggested it is Damask but I know that's much darker as it was the colour of dad's Morris Minor and I use it on many of my models.

accidentally disconnect speedo cable ;)

Driver of the ford MONTURDO !!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:   

#79 OFFLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

what you need is a spare speedometer.i always keeps spares as you never know when they are going to break

• alf892 and DSdriver like this

#80 OFFLINE   Scotty2

Scotty2

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

The Maxi I bought recently has turned out a bit of a project...

Anyone got a spare 1750 TC unit that A) Doesn't smoke like a bonfire, and B) a clutch that in not connected to the lubricating oil system. Drives like a semi automatic!

I've sorted the misfire and replaced the distributor but stuck it in the corner in shame. Allegro on the other hand is now back to bouncy as I recharged the units and gave it a good overhaul. Can top up Nitrogen or fluid at will now. What a difference in ride!

• Asimo and Cavcraft like this

#81 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:38 PM

You need to speak to this man about mileage adjustments 

bookmain.jpg

• stuboy likes this

#82 OFFLINE   flat4alfa

flat4alfa

• Full Members
  • 5,690 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationFar too close to Gunsmoke Luton to feel safe

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

That just so happens to be me behind the camera in that little video

It was me that saved that MOT failure Maxi from abandonment off a pavement just outside Peckham...

Recovery road trip was exciting as it was dragged by a tired NA Citroen BX Derv.  We were cut up something rotten a few times, with one very hairy moment at Vauxhall bridge

Got it sorted and kept it a year doing show scene, family picnics (because Maxi) etc.  Needed the money for childcare bill so it sold onto Chamberpot when his self-immoliating Eldorado money came through

It's a very early rod-change Maxi.  Change was really good too.

Happy days

13413715_10154895560492598_3976036878986

Told myself afterwards that I would rather get another Landcrab again instead.  Still not achieved that, all these years on!

• RobT and AMC Rebel like this

Vauxhall FB VX4/90, Alfa 33 Mk1 Gold Cloverleaf, Rover 420 SLi, Rover 418 GSD, Alfa 156 derv Wagon, funny face Multipla derv, Honda Aerodeck
Daimler XJ40AvantimeX1/9Alfa 146 boxer, Acclaim, XM veg, Maxi, Alfa 6, Alfa 33 QV, Alfa 155, TreviBeta SaloonsLandcrab, P6BRover R8 dervs, FuegoAlfasuds128, 131 and everything else

#83 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Poor Maxine gets a regular dry bumming from Chamberpot too

#84 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

So some things have happened recently. Firstly the BL show at Gaydon and a delivery of bits from the club spares officer including some shiny wheel embellishers. The previous owner, being an eccentric old giffer, probably threw the originals away as he didn't like them but it looks much better now. Its first outing with trimz was the Festival of the Unexceptional and I asked Six-cylinder and AnthonyG if they could spot anything new but they didn't even notice :-D

Shiny trimz. The orange one was the only other Maxi there.

IMG_1635.jpg

It got an awful lot of attention and every time I looked there were people admiring it and taking photos. It's been photographed in the rain by Darren Reallyloud and even made it into the Telegraph's coverage of the event with 3 photos - they described it as "a perfect example of a car that will baffle young people" :shock: The very next day it was back in use as a normal car though visiting friends and it's on car duty again today going to a family barbecue. It'll be going to the Willington show on Tuesday and that'll probably be it for shows until we've had it a year and the insurance runs out in September.

Oh, and it can haz new MOT too. Dad was worried about it failing on the steering rack as it clonks and has quite a lot of play (fairly normal on Maxis apparently and even freshly reconditioned racks can clonk) but it scored a clean pass without even a single advisory. Good times.

• Heidel_Kakao, The Moog, theorganist and 6 others like this

#85 OFFLINE   keef

keef

• Full Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSheerness Kent UK

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:04 AM

Welcome to Maxi ownership! :)

You did well to see another at FotU; there are getting rare.
Keef - Sheerness Kent UK
1963 A40 Farina 1965 VDP 1100 1974 VDP 1300 1979 Maxi 1750HLS 1980 Maxi 1750
yjtmk.jpg

#86 OFFLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Rank Austin Maxi

• Full Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

Welcome to Maxi ownership! :)

You did well to see another at FotU; there are getting rare.

Thanks. There could have been up to 4 more there - the club events officer's Harvest Gold one, a blue HLS, an early cable-changer that had to drop out with a shattered windscreen, and possibly Bron Burrell with Puff. They are pretty uncommon and the only other one I've seen at a non-BL show was at Bicester Heritage in April.

#87 OFFLINE   Scotty2

Scotty2

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

So no-one has a spare 1750 TC unit to sell?

#88 OFFLINE   keef

keef

• Full Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSheerness Kent UK

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

There's a few been broken for spares recently. If you have room for a spares car that moght be the way to go. ;)
Keef - Sheerness Kent UK
1963 A40 Farina 1965 VDP 1100 1974 VDP 1300 1979 Maxi 1750HLS 1980 Maxi 1750
yjtmk.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users