MoT bastards

pogweasel

This has made me angry today.

Been helping my mate out fixing up his wife's Polo for another years scrooge motoring, but being given the right chuffing run-around by the MoT centre.

It is important to note at this point he took it to an MoT station that I am not very enamoured by going on past experience, and that no-one else I know is impressed by either...

Seemed straightforward at first, with a fail on the foglight switch, rubbish wipers and a perished front lower wishbone bush on the NSF.

Wipers swapped, switch replaced, and the bush changed (after alot of grunting & swearing).

Matey takes it back for the re-test.

This time the bloke fails it on the headlight being not properly secured. Oddly this wasn't mentioned on the previous test.

So last night we spent a few minutes grubbing about in the dark doing a bit of 'heath robinson' to make sure the lamp units were totally secure and could in no way be construed as loose (not they were very loose to begin with).

This morning, back he goes again.

Headlamp OK, now the bloke's failed it on a perished lower wishbone bush, not the one we changed (and was passed as fit ), but the one at the back of the wishbone.

FFS.

Now, when we did the bush t'other day, Mrs_Pog's brother helped too, and he being 99% of the way to qualifying as a tester says the bloke's talking out of his arse. Bush is clearly not new, but not totally kippered either, and if it was a bit dubious, surely should have scored an advisory on the initial test.

Clearly this tester is trying to drum up work for himself, what a waqner. I stopped using him after he failed some perfectly legit but DIY'd work I;d done on a crock, seems it's a regular thing.

Anyone know how you get VOSA on the case, as it's taking the piss!

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they could only re-test you on failed items picked up the first time round?

Same here...On a slightly different note, if Plod tells you to take the car down the Ministry and it subsequently passes, do you have to pay / can you get the money back off Plod?

The VOSA website doesn't give that much info, you should be able to appeal against the decision - details used to be on the back of the fail sheet. You can then IIRC get the vehicle tested by the regional VOSA station.A couple of things to consider here though - They may find lots more wrong with the vehicle - yes this will get the tester who tested the vehicle originally in the shit, but will also mean a hefty repair bill for you.I would try and give your local VOSA station/office a call and ask if the tester is able to keep re-failing a vehicle time and time again with 'new' faults, having given no prior advisories. MOT testing in a most cases is at the testers disgression, which if you find a good one is great, but find a money grabbing twunt (as it would appear has happened here) and it's a nightmare.Good luck!

Of absolutly no use to you or your mate, but I use the County Councils MOT testing depot, they undertake no repair work at all and I have found they are less keen to fail things needlessly, indeed on a couple of occasions I have "helped" the tester, and once years ago when he was doing a Fiesta he actually took it for a test drive as the rear brakes showed an inconsistant imballance on the testometer thing - (could not believe that I wouldnt have noticed one brake working and one not) - came back, said it was fine, handed me a new cert.Never have involved VOSA or the ministry (as it was) but did threaten a garage once due to a thwacking great hole in a subframe I found on a car I had purchased from them with a "new" MOT - they welded it up tute-suite.

MOT testers are only allowed to do a retest on the previous items tested, unless they may have prevented from any further testing (at which point they can't test it and can't charge you). Going onto retest other items isn't allowed.Does the tester hate you, it sounds like he's just making it difficult. Don't know about you but I would've made such a stink about that.

Just seems he makes his money by ensuring he gets a couple of hours labour off every punter through the doors - I guess most are fairly unsuspecting and will cough up rather than get their hands dirty and investigate for themselves.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they could only re-test you on failed items picked up the first time round?

Same here...On a slightly different note, if Plod tells you to take the car down the Ministry and it subsequently passes, do you have to pay / can you get the money back off Plod?
Me too, surely this alone would be of interest to VOSA. BTW I am sure the appeals process is explained on the fail sheet, I only have a full cert to hand so can't swear to it.

Of absolutly no use to you or your mate, but I use the County Councils MOT testing depot, they undertake no repair work at all and I have found they are less keen to fail things needlessly, indeed on a couple of occasions I have "helped" the tester, and once years ago when he was doing a Fiesta he actually took it for a test drive as the rear brakes showed an inconsistant imballance on the testometer thing - (could not believe that I wouldnt have noticed one brake working and one not) - came back, said it was fine, handed me a new cert..

A BT MOT Tester once told me same thing, BT are one of the best because as they MOT there cars, by law they have to do a certain amount of Joe Publics cars as well to keep there licence, and as they don't do repairs on the public's cars, Only there own, they don't tend to fail them. (Unless they are bad of course).

I have my car's last fail sheet ("DANGEROUS TO DRIVE" :roll: ). It's from late '07, but here's the paragraph on appealing a fail -

If you do not agree with the items listed as failures on this Refusal of an MOT Test certificate, you may appeal. If you wish to appeal, do not have your vehicle repaired before any such appeal test is carried out. Any change in the condition of the vehicle may affect the outcome. Please see the appeals and fees poster displayed at every test station, or phone VOSA's national enquiry service on 0870 60 60 440.

You have to pay a fee to appeal, but they refund it if you're successful.

I am no expert, and don't have the online link to the MOT tester's manual, but I *think* the retest on specific items only applies if the car doesn't leave the premises for the repair. But I agree with everyone else, the bloke sounds like he is pulling a fast one. Why didn't you take it to DaveRapid?

I have my car's last fail sheet ("DANGEROUS TO DRIVE" :roll: ). It's from late '07, but here's the paragraph on appealing a fail -

If you do not agree with the items listed as failures on this Refusal of an MOT Test certificate, you may appeal. If you wish to appeal, do not have your vehicle repaired before any such appeal test is carried out. Any change in the condition of the vehicle may affect the outcome. Please see the appeals and fees poster displayed at every test station, or phone VOSA's national enquiry service on 0870 60 60 440.

You have to pay a fee to appeal, but they refund it if you're successful.
As is stated above, you cant appeal a fail that you have alredy fixed.A couple of testers I know have had VOSA on their back because a customer has reported them, and everytime the car has been fixed already so there is no evidence left either way.Although they were generally legit testers and I suspect the customers were trying it on. (not that I suspect Mr Wiesel)

Why didn't you take it to DaveRapid?

Well I would have done.But not up to me, they just booked it into the nearest one, despite my protestation. :roll:
At this stage I would just sit back and watch to be honest. The whole VOSA thing is tempting, but is it honestly worth the effort?Just let them lose all their money, then you can have a good laugh about it later.

checked a car over for a mate a few months ago-- 53 plate polo--- car was really sound with only a slight tear on a wiper, told him try it he might give you an advisory for that. next thing i know phone call in work the next day - failed on rear wheel bearing. now i went around the car checked the lot and deffo no play in the bearings. cost of repair £59told my mate not to have it done but to bring it to me when i get home lo and behold some new marks on the rear bearing cap and all i had to do was nip up the bearing.next day new mot obtained no probs.another was a micra failed mot on a few things none repaired -- taken to another station failed on a few different things :roll: i tend to use two stations one who is classic car friendly for the older cars and another that i use all the time who now knows me well for the more modern cars. :wink:

As you may have noticed from my post i have also been haing problems with my MOT station. However mine have thankfully been resolved and MOT issued (strangely the think i failed on was an insecure headlight too).

However i have been reading up on the matter. Look at these sites:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/newsandevents/pressreleases/2006pressreleases/01-09-06motlaunchnewre-testprocedures.htm

http://mottesting.org.uk/mot-retest-information-fail.html

Tells you what you can and cannot qualify for a free retest for etc.

I had my missus' MGF fail nearly four times on handbrake 'power'. It held itself on a hill, but the tester was having none of it. Admittedly, he tested it on a rolling road brake test twice before he actually MOT'd it, and didn't charge, but felt like it should have been an advisory. Took it elsewhere and they passed it.

There's a special form you can use to appeal.It does cost £50, but don't be scared of VOSA testers, they're a lot less righteous than you'd think. They'll advise on stuff that a lot of testers would fail.

Guest greenvanman

If you're not going down the VOSA route it sounds like a little 'name and shame' wouldn't go amiss here Pog?

I propose that you fix the other bush etc and grudgingly get the car sorted, then simply purchase a massive banner that says 'SEX TOURIST GARAGE' and hang it on their shop front at night, 'Mr. Tourettes - style'.

:D:D:D I LOVE modern toss!Let the spambots have fun with that one............

Just let them lose all their money, then you can have a good laugh about it later.

Ordinarily, I'd go with this. But this is my bezza mate of 20 odd years, and whilst most of you have encountered said person probably rate he as a GRADE A BELL-END, I think he's being done, and seeing as he's on the nat king cole it's a bit unfair for him to get turned over. I must say I do like the SEX TOURIST GARAGE idea. Alot. Lesson: Don't fuck wid da weesil. End.

Have it out with them. Take it back for a retest having done NOTHING to fix the 'fail points' and see if it now fails on entirely different things.if it does, tell him you're waiting for VOSA to give you a bell back and would he like to rethink his decision?

my nephew took his n reg bmw in for mot last month they failed it on rear brake pipes corroded and 1 tyre they quoted him about £250 to do the work so he said he,ll think about it today he took the car to a diffrent mot tester and he failed it on emissions 2 bulbs gone and that was it so what are they playing at ffs