Should I [Part2]

Rocket88

Just been offered a very tidy 405 turbodizzler estate with towbar. 125 k miles, full service history, manual, for 3 parts of bugger all.. It all seems to work properly and apart from the paint [white] which has gone flat. it's got minimal rust. Anything in particular to look out for?

I'm quite a fan of these little things as a works runner, Very cheap to buy and run and last forever in diesel form.

Biggest problem is your typical French build quality where bits of the trim falls off and the headlining sag.

What age is it?, Worth getting a 1993- Shape with the power steering, GL Spec upwards had Electric windows, Remote locking and Electric sunroof as standard.

Also as a rule these don't rust so it may need further looking into where the rust is In case of a shoddy repair at some point.

I sold this last year for my wifes uncle, It was her dad's from new until her uncle brought it 10 years ago, It had done 110k FSH and was mint, Got £325 for it privately, It was a GLTD Model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm quite a fan of these little things as a works runner, Very cheap to buy and run and last forever in diesel form.

Biggest problem is your typical French build quality where bits of the trim falls off and the headlining sag.

What age is it?, Worth getting a 1993- Shape with the power steering, GL Spec upwards had Electric windows, Remote locking and Electric sunroof as standard.

Also as a rule these don't rust so it may need further looking into where the rust is In case of a shoddy repair at some point.

I sold this last year for my wifes uncle, It was her dad's from new until her uncle brought it 10 years ago, It had done 110k FSH and was mint, Got £325 for it privately, It was a GLTD Model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a '95 GL TD. I quite fancy chopping it into a pick up, as

a] I could do with one

b] Looking at the lines, it would be a fairly feasible job

c] If it all goes tits up, it won't be the end of the world.

Use to have a Carlton Estate that had been similarly converted, and it looked quite smart.

I know a bit about these cars Colin :lol: Headlinings can sag, but it can be fixed with a staple gun. Otherwise the interiors are pretty hardwearing in my experience (on the 1993-on cars anyway).Things to check:Head gasket (does the temp gauge work properly, it should sit between 80 and 90 when properly warmed up and not move hugely when you boot it); turbos are hardy but if it whistles a lot then be wary; rads go around this mileage so check for leaks; heater blower can stop working but usually just needs a cleanup of the connectors under the glovebox or a well-aimed kick in that area; electric windows can stick; rear suspension beam (check the wheels are upright without noticeable camber); any clonks or rattles from the suspension may spell £££; check the handbrake works; ABS can give faults."Minimal rust" is a bit of a concern in my book. These cars just don't seem to rust on the upper bodywork (except the inside of the doors on the upper edges, where they meet the sealing rubbers), so I'd be checking it underneath - around the inner wings behind the headlights, the "chassis" legs behind the front struts; and the boot floor. Front-to-rear metal brake pipes can get rusty too, and you need to drop the tank (IIRC) to change 'em.Oh and if it's an aircon model (it should be if it's a '95 - strictly speaking it will be a GLX rather than a GL; standard-fit a/c after '93 but some did have "no extra cost" sunroofs in lieu) then it uses the old R12 gas, so just open a window if it doesn't work...you can always stick it on a Condor and I'll meet it at Weymouth, Poole or Portsmouth if the price is right :wink:

Rust is confined to a tiny dent on the boot. I'll have a close look at the rest of the points raised tonight, and report back. It seems, from the brief glance that I've had, to be extremely tidy, and knowing the previous owner, it will have been looked after. We've aquired it for a spot of "plate rape", I may keep it, but if you're interested, I'll have a good look at it, and let you know more

I have just such a beast, it too is in "flat" white. (The shiniest bits turned out to be bird shit!)Apart from its general scruffiness, obvious years of abuse and creeping rust I love it!Having got another years ticket, I've decided to keep it till it dies.I can honestly say I've never seen one "Pickupped" but then again I've never seen a cut down car into pick up convertion that didn't look bloody awful, just drop the seats and it will take almost anything a pick up would without the hours and hours of work needed to halve its already minimal value.

Col I don't suppose you were anything to do with that mad modified Volvo 200-series estate that somebody ended up pickup-ing some years back? Can't say as I've seen it lately...

125k, a young one then!My 405 is the best all-rounder I've ever had, I really rate it. Mine is also in 'flat' white, and the paint is soot-stained from living in Edinburgh.They aren't entirely rust-proof, both of mine (early 1996 and late 1996) have had a bit of rust bubbling up on the sill seams.At that kind of mileage, the front suspension bushes and clutch are likely to be issues.

Sill seams are a valid point, given that Milford is in the Frozen North and colc is by the sea. Neither of my cars suffer with that. My saloon had a clutch change at 160k, the estates is still original, far as I can tell. I did have one previous that was a bit on/off, turned out to be a new cable was needed. The "P" bushes in the front wishbones (and the rear subframe bushes too) often go.

I know a bit about these cars Colin :lol:

Headlinings can sag, but it can be fixed with a staple gun. Otherwise the interiors are pretty hardwearing in my experience (on the 1993-on cars anyway).

Things to check:

Head gasket (does the temp gauge work properly, it should sit between 80 and 90 when properly warmed up and not move hugely when you boot it); turbos are hardy but if it whistles a lot then be wary; rads go around this mileage so check for leaks; heater blower can stop working but usually just needs a cleanup of the connectors under the glovebox or a well-aimed kick in that area; electric windows can stick; rear suspension beam (check the wheels are upright without noticeable camber); any clonks or rattles from the suspension may spell £££; check the handbrake works; ABS can give faults.

"Minimal rust" is a bit of a concern in my book. These cars just don't seem to rust on the upper bodywork (except the inside of the doors on the upper edges, where they meet the sealing rubbers), so I'd be checking it underneath - around the inner wings behind the headlights, the "chassis" legs behind the front struts; and the boot floor. Front-to-rear metal brake pipes can get rusty too, and you need to drop the tank (IIRC) to change 'em.

Oh and if it's an aircon model (it should be if it's a '95 - strictly speaking it will be a GLX rather than a GL; standard-fit a/c after '93 but some did have "no extra cost" sunroofs in lieu) then it uses the old R12 gas, so just open a window if it doesn't work...you can always stick it on a Condor and I'll meet it at Weymouth, Poole or Portsmouth if the price is right :wink:

Interesting that R, both my 405s have that heater blower fault, and both respond to a well aimed kick under the passenger footwell in the general direction! Must check those connectors and try a more permanent repair.

Would obviously concur with the general consensus about 405s, have had three 405s since 2004 and they have been supremely reliable, just seem not to go wrong. (both petrol autos.) Faults I've encountered have been clonky front suspension, graunching rear discs but nothing more serious than that. And on all three I've had the heater recirculation motor has been failing, causing a constant whirring in the cabin from the general direction of the centre console. Easiest thing to do is disconnect the motor from underneath the bonnet.

Have spent a fair few quid on my latest one trying to get it as good as my lovely green example - so far, apart from the crashier suspension (god knows why) it's approaching that standard.

Posted Image

Col I don't suppose you were anything to do with that mad modified Volvo 200-series estate that somebody ended up pickup-ing some years back? Can't say as I've seen it lately...

I was at work one day and this pikey arse comes in whinging about this that and the other, once he calmed down and realised I didn't a flying fuck about his incorrect accusations he then started to brag about his amazing project, he even went as far as to produce some photographs and I actually though he was taking the piss with what I saw, this monstrosity of a seriously bad shit heap of a Volvo 200 was staring back at me, it looked like it was designed by a man with 'issues' it was just laughable and not remotely nice. If BarryBoys had a senior section this would be at the top. Two words to decribe it? Fucking Awfull

Oh and funnily enough Colin I was thinking about buying one of these myself, I know somebody with one and as is mostly the case with French cars the seats were really comfortable.I'm right in saying the Pug TDis are quite a reliable old lump aren't I?

Well, the 405 has been thoroughly prodded, and I have the following to report,Apart from a little headlining droopage by the front screen, which I can get at to re-glue, the interior is lovely.Everything works, including the aircon, and the sunroof.Drives like it's done about 30k miles not the 113k that's on the clock. Clutch has been done recently, and a big service.No clonks, no rattles, no clouds of smoke etc etc.I might give it a good polish this weekend to see what it comes up like, but an experimental massage suggests it will respond.....Ref hideous Volvo, I know the owner, he is indeed a twonk of the first order.........inhis defence, he built it for a recently departed [did a runner] owner of a number of local Chinese restaurants, and I think it was done at least 25 years ago, when that level of hideousness was quite acceptable in customising circles [ahem]

Sounds like an excellent specimen - far too good for a pickup conversion, just fit some crossbars to the roof rails instead...!Air AND sunroof is an odd spec. I heard a story (via my mechanic, so can't validate it's authenticity) that Pug UK misjudged the a/c takeup when it became a no-cost option in '94, and the first big batch of cars from France had roofs - they had to get a company in Andover (IIRC the same one that did the RHD conversions on DeLoreans) to retrofit a/c to them.

The other thing that's slightly odd is that the volume control stalk by the steering wheel for the stereo still works, although a rather posh Blaupunkt [which I can't beleive was original spec] has been fitted. I could never see the point of having sunroof and a/c [i hate sunroofs anyway]

No, the AC is there to fill the cabin with putrid, stale, bacteria-filled air that's not really as cool as you'd like it. The sunroof is there to let the rotten air out and some fresh in stuff before you vomit without having a force 9 coming through an open window...

Guest greenvanman

I hate sunroofs anyway

Me too, I never use them and my experiences on older stuff usually involves rust, leaking or both. Would much rather not have one myself.
If they're the factory fitted sliding type they seem to be OK, or maybe I've just been lucky. The only one I've had that leaked to the point where I took it out and re-sealed it was in that piece-of-shit Skoda, and that was one of those cheap aftermarket type ones (albeit factory fitted). If it's not raining the Astra's sunroof is always wound right back, I don't need aircon 8)

Some friends of mine, who run a paint shop, won the dubious pleasure of a contract to fit a load of aftermarket sunroofs to, I think, the first generation of Daihatsu Charades. They followed the instructions religously [measurements and template where to saw etc] and set to. they discovered that they were cutting through the main roof crossmember, which let to the roof distorting. Apparently, after the sun lid was fitted, the roof returned to it's original shape....................scary!