Clio, gone but not forgotten.

nacho man

bc36005bfc839bca2206232c2fa82058.jpg

741a88d3d757e9e4f5e7b2d4dc0b0dc3.jpg

b395616231526bc2f383ff3ba30edb84.jpg

Have a few pictures I took on my phone. Off to get a secondhand bonnet weekend then get it painted and it will be pretty mint then.

Had four new goodyears fitted weekend and going to service it this weekend if it ain't pissing it down.

Been on a couple of good drives and you have to just have faith that it will get round the bend. I think I am going fast and it just goes round without a hint of understeer or tyre scrub. So I go a bit faster and it's the same. I get that funny feeling like "oh oh I am going to fast here" oh no I am ok.

Must try harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Yo crew.

Mileage covered so far 432 miles.

Expenditure not including tax, insurance or petrol.

£912 gearbox refurb.

DOH!!!!!!

Anyhow yesterday I got these on.

3e5237189328462db319794a32091320.jpg

And wondered around scrappers for a bonnet, got one in the end that wasn't dented for £20.

Gonna get it painted so then it will mintola.

Also emptied the garage

5a20c8cc5681567f3767b95013a6cc5d.jpg

Might park it up there and only thrash the knackers of it on a nice sunny day. Told Mrs T I am on the look for a old smoker for the winter. I got the evils. The search is on.

In un related news, I picked this up from the framers this morn.

770aaf4ba2aef5591aa50bed771ca1a0.jpg

In more unrelated news have a picture of a parrot.

bab96f30a8f154fd3bf1e05b0e42103a.jpg

It pulls its own feathers out. So it looks scabby. P.s it is scabby.

I really liked my saxo furio which was a poor mans vtr. Slightly lowered,decat and induction kit. Wasmt fast but was good for blatting around the lanes. Mine was a 1.4 with about 75bhp. Point im maki g is seeing this made me go on ebay to have a look and so surprised how cheap the 172 models are.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday started early (ish)

022fc7fa34782bf8f250e8985a94e4de.jpg

I set off from Derby to Essex. Got stuck in traffic on the a14. So was late.

Finally got to mark fish motorsport. The place is amazing. Had renaults everywhere.

Including this r5 built up from the last brand new r5 shell kicking about. There was plenty of track day/race spec 172's 182's a Austin a35 and a Alfa junior as well.

b3c755cbf5c92a5cb55324141821a536.jpg

Jumped in a taxi and caught a train to London to see my bro for the day.

He took me to some Jewish restaurant for brekkie. Food was lush and the salt and pepper grinders had some class.

ea979757382484923ced16a65bba164f.jpg

We then boarded hms Belfast

f4fcff6b155c7df1bebc8ca4836e2362.jpg

Enjoyable way to waste away a few hours.

Then got back to Essex to find some scaffolding had been lashed up in the back of the clio.

1426f88b9901dba87a83407d682f6367.jpg

The good wife bought me a mat for my birthday to cover the floor where the rear seats used to be. So looks neat in the back.

It didn't need a roll cage. But what the hell. It's never gonna be a concours trophy that's washed with holy water and waxed with a £500 tin of hand milked queen bee's wax or whatever they use to detail astras. So I went for it.

Overall happiness factor =

Worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my nashers done on sat and took a days leave to chill and "recover"

Seeing as I had nothing to do all day. Filled up the Clio and did a nice 143.6 mile round trip for the sake of it.

cfd42ab97425f7b76fb85c81d950ef97.jpg

The cabin smelt fresh thanks to this ace air freshener.

Went from Derby upto Matlock then carsington water through the peaks to Sheffield then back through Chesterfield via KFC and home.

b34813accc9eef7134372e7f09fccfcd.jpg

Sometimes it's ace ain't it just to go on a drive on your own for no reason. I didn't even hardly boot it. Just trundled along listening to talk sport.

Yeah you can trundle, not in any real comfort like. The ride it pretty bob on as in soaking up bumps, its been lowered a touch so is a bit harsher than a normal one. Its also a bit noisy but if you just tickle the throttle its ok. Seeing as it don't weigh much the motor can pull it along quite easy so you can just ride the torque. Plus the peaks still had a bit of snow on them today.

It makes a change to trundle as in all honestly the only real reason I got it was for b road blasts, which is what it does in my possession 98% of the time.

• 2 months later...

Seeing as I had some paint in my garage for ages, decided I was finally going to try and tidy the engine bay a bit.

Before

f03074200544d4fc6b621cafeadbdacf.jpg

As in tidy, I just mean paint the inlet and fuel rail guard and engine mount.

Banged some plugs in while I had it off.

25bcf9cc70a73e483df97d18657207d3.jpg

Apparently you can change the plugs without removing all the bits and bobs but I couldn't before. So waited till I had it all off.

59d55f349ea2dc27769008ab646f7cf8.jpg

After

a35b8fd896f98c41090eb1035b00d16c.jpg

It looks a bit like "still in primer" but it will do for now.

• 1 month later...

I spotted a trophy bonnet for sale quite local, so took out lass on a romantic late night car bonnet buying mission.

Got up early the next day to fit it, and it was a very every so slightly different shade. This pissed me off.

So I went to Renault and said hit me up with a new bonnet.

Here it is in the kitchen which I haven't finished yet.

9a0f1e5cc2150ea058fbbae1251c3acc.jpg

So put this scrapyard special on because I wanted to go out and thrash it. Got it booked in start of June for a proper front end paint job. ££££ ouch.

2da3ee51c025105cd00336d2fa566e2e.jpg

I also have ordered some new 15 inch alloys to use on the track and picked up some yoko ado8r's to clad them with.

c42c75eb21d4b89e6aa3c1be6b5e49ff.jpg

That's why the kitchen don't get finished.

Priorities.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got this thing looking mintola.

05f9dc84894b9e29b625e9f16f14e896.jpg

Had the bonnet and wings done and most of the plastics has some had started to fade slightly.

310a8cb061da8f57dfc15a7fb0dabac3.jpg

Had some wheels delivered last week as well, will only be used on track.

While it was in the body shop, a owner of an exige that was being painted left his email address as he wanted to buy it.

I sent him a email last night and he offered me 8k which is good for one of these with high miles and not standard.

I did buy it for £4750 odd but have spent £1k gearbox and clutch, £900 rollcage and fitting, £800 paintwork, wheels and tyres where £700 odd but I could sell them separate. Plus loads of other bits and bobs that add up to £££

Only done about 1500 miles as well, so god knows what that cost per mile is.

While I was out and about a few weeks ago somebody pulled in and started asking questions then offered me a good price as well, I was really thinking about it and getting something a bit bonkers.

But I am gonna keep it for a while and use it.

Also bought the scimitar so that should keep my mental car spending disorder ticking over for a while.

• 1 month later...

Took this out on Donnington last night.

Ebc yellow stuff pads were new 3/5k ago, down to pretty much nothing now.

Was really confidence inspiring, didn't really understeer however much you pushed it. Had a few good battles with the other clios there.

0444a1376b29d832664673529ba14398.jpg

4380daf36d92ac4d32b07b5a08a75635.jpg

824f5d921efa592c3426b3515bd1579f.jpg

a5e4b22bb0476691013477cddf1ddc55.jpg

cec17637ec1242dfadf796645d62640e.jpg

Glad to see that this is still going strong and more to the point, getting used and enjoyed :)

Also this is why you don't use copper grease on the sliders.

Always baffles me why people use copper grease on any moving part frankly - the "grease" part of the name is a bit of a misnomer really given the questionable lubrication properties.

Ironically given that it's an anti-seize compound, I can almost always guarantee that any car people have used copper grease as a lubricant on will have had all the threads and spline fittings assembled dry with the inevitable effect over time and/or exposure to the elements...

These wee things still look ace and are so much fun which you already know.

Its not the same but I had an 04 plate mk2 ph3 1.2 Dynamique (the one with the unique to the Dynamique front bumper from 04 on, 15" versions of the 172 wheels and the 172 boot spoiler as standard) and absolutely fell in love with it and thats when I started finding out more about the Clio Sports, had a loan of a 53 plate 172 Cup for a couple of days and it put a huge smile on my face, but I didnt find it much different from a full fat 182, not sure what the Trophy is like, but given the lack of difference between those 2, i like my toys so a FF 182 with Cup spoiler and suspension packs is on my list to own one day if theres any left that arent mega money by then.

Suuposedly (and I heard this off Renault dealer mechanics) that when the 172 was first launched on the mk2 ph2 (Y reg onwards with the facelift front end) there was a Cup version that was proper stripped out with no rear seats, no rear wiper, proper basic no frills hot hatch, but ive never seen one, not even sure they really do exist. 

Suuposedly (and I heard this off Renault dealer mechanics) that when the 172 was first launched on the mk2 ph2 (Y reg onwards with the facelift front end) there was a Cup version that was proper stripped out with no rear seats, no rear wiper, proper basic no frills hot hatch, but ive never seen one, not even sure they really do exist.

There was indeed a 172 Cup, although it wasn't quite as hardcore as the mechanic made out - still had full compliment of seats, but did without ABS, aircon etc.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/15219/renaultsport-clio-172-cup

I'd my 172 for 4 years, ran it every day... I absolutely loved the thing. Typical Renault... so I was fixing some niggle every fortnight... but loved it..

Only sold it as my young nephew tortured me to sell it to him, for a track day car. You know how this ends...