Rancho #2 - The Silver one. - A little progress.

holbeck

So, today I've had a lovely day I went up to Arkley Hertfordshire to pay for the Rancho I bought unseen last week.

post-4930-0-76962700-1472849198_thumb.jpg

I had a good poke around it and was pleasantly surprised.

post-4930-0-46451600-1472849329_thumb.jpg

Goodies!

post-4930-0-32985500-1472849454_thumb.jpg

post-4930-0-47094300-1472849559_thumb.jpg

Skizzer has got this over me, some work to do here. Initially we couldn't get the bonnet open as the catch was seized, I had a fiddle and got it open but then managed to ping the spring off into outer-space (couldn't find it, hopefully its in the sumpguard). The upshot of this is the bonnet now won't shut!

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

BTW, the sellers were a delight. picking me up from the station and entertaining me with lunch of smoked salmon and white wine. All very civilised.

I'm told these Simca engines are fairly indestructible so hopefully 83C is right. Mine will run, but still needs all of the above (and leaks prodigiously from the water pump, too).

I haven't been brave enough to close the bonnet on mine properly yet, even for the long trailer journey, because the catch looks every bit as crusty as yours. Front-hinged bonnets for the win.

Your seats are a great deal cleaner than mine, too. Mine seem to have footprints branded on to the vinyl, rather oddly.

Sum-up: reckon I'm ahead on points, just, but you're about to zoom past on the inside. I need to get a wiggle on.

I'm surprised you didn't come this afternoon.

snigger snigger....lol...

i too had a silver rancho....with the same check interior...and sold it with a factory workshop manual...i wonder...????

i used it one morning to drop kids off at school and as i decended from having two wheels on the pavement,the engine decided that it wanted to lie on the road... turns out the previous owner had "done a bit of work" on it...including replacing every bolt with mild steel ones,and bits of screwed rod...managed to hold the engine up with rope and a wooden batten enough to get home...

and i still continued to buy them...4 of the burgers so far...

cheers...al

Silly question of the day, the battery connectors are the old french type where (I guess) there is some sort of wing nut arrangement on the battery to clamp them down, anyone know what that sort of battery is actually called? (My googling is drawing a blank).

post-4930-0-98111800-1473412218_thumb.jpg

Also realised I don't have the battery clamp, but hey ho!

Silly question of the day, the battery connectors are the old french type where (I guess) there is some sort of wing nut arrangement on the battery to clamp them down, anyone know what that sort of battery is actually called? (My googling is drawing a blank).

attachicon.gifDSCF3511.JPG

Also realised I don't have the battery clamp, but hey ho!

Keep this, it's actually a great design. Simply push it onto the battery terminal, no need for tools, no counterpart on the battery needed.

Tagora has the same:

post-5425-0-94843300-1473502753_thumb.jpg

Today's shenanigans was to apply rust converter to the remains of the battery tray. This done I turned my attention to the air intake, as I could see some leaves and shit through the balance hole.

post-4930-0-95520400-1473608301_thumb.jpg

Took the pipe off and this was what I found.

post-4930-0-70083900-1473608330_thumb.jpg

Checked the filter and here's a nice mouse penthouse.

post-4930-0-01133300-1473608360_thumb.jpg

Luckily I had a new one in stock.

Anyways, I also turned the engine over by pushing the car in second  and it rotates. (something I hadn't actually checked until now).

The oil in the sump looks quite clean but god knows how old it is, so I'll change that next.

(oh and I managed to drop and smash my digital camera so only poxy phone pics until I can get another one).