Rancho #2 - The Silver one. - A little progress.

holbeck

post-4930-0-84329500-1472291679_thumb.jpg

So, after the excitement, comes the reality.

I have bought a Rancho. Great.

But it's 200 miles away, it needs trailering away from the sellers home, and it needs some welding (I can't weld).

I need a plan.

Collection. - It's up on Shiply, but I'm not very excited by the quotes that have come in so far (not surprising as it's August B/H).

Assessment for welding.  - As I'm not going to do this myself, I'm wondering if it's better to transport it to a place where the essential welding can be done, this doesn't necessarily need to be close to where I live in the South West.

I could blunder along on my own but I'm open minded if any of the collective have good idea's  / suggestions / recommendations.

cheers

H

Is that Shipley in Sussex, or somewhere else? If Sussex I am just down the road and can lend a pair of hands with moving, or temporary parking/storage

Thanks for the offer TL, it was Shiply the website I was meaning.   www.shiply.com

The car is in North London, just inside the M25

200 miles?

Pah! Borrow an A frame and take a day in the smoke.

Be nicely loosened up by the time you got back.

Simples

Either that or you'll arrive home with just the two front wishbones clattering along behind you like a tin can tied to a dog's tail, and the rest of the car will be in a variety of locations along the inside lane of the M4.

I'd like to help but I'm not sure how, really. I don't know a suitable welder near there or near you.

I could lend you a Discovery that would probably (but not definitely) do all the towing without overheating or anything, if you like? You'd need to source a trailer though.

Wow, thanks for a great (and kind) offer.

Part of me would love to have the keys to the Skizzer disco for a car adventure.

I do have some irons in the fire for collection, and a couple of quotes on the books from shiply.

I'm probably going to London for a post purchase inspection later in the week so I'll hope to get my ducks in a row for collection shortly after that.

Let me know if you need a quote for welding.

I love these, I work in a garage restoring classic cars and the recovery driver we use loves them and owns one too.

Ben

Interested. Whereabouts are you?

That said I've decided to drag it back here, then see about making it run before getting into the body repairs.

Curses! Holbeck makes a cunning strategic move in the Rancho MOT race with a sneaky factory service manual...

Wheras if it was a Haynes I'd suggest tearing it up and mixing it with underseal to make some papier maché sills would probably help more with an MOT rather than reading it.