Field of Dreams Open Day - Now with Today's pictures

Six-cylinder

Field of Dreams Open Day - anybody free on 17/18 September?

After a great time last weekend, I am thinking of playing cars in our field again, but this time I thought I would plan ahead a bit and give some warning. You will understand that after the Shitefest mud-plugging, it will have to be weather dependent. I am thinking of the weekend of 17/18 September, with 24/25 September as reserve.

Things to do…

• Help us fix and polish our cars

• Bring your own car to fix or polish

• Give helpful advice on how it should be done

• Give unhelpful advice on how it should be done

• Chat with fellow AS folk

• Just come and say Hi

• Bring your family to picnic in our orchard

• Camper are welcome, in a tent or caravan

• Anything that is legal, decent and honest is fine with us!

Games to play…

• Dismantle the black Range Rover

• Make the Herald 1200 run

• Make the Herald 13/60 run

• Make the Spitfire 6 run

• Get Tiddly Truck mobile

• Diagnose the trailer stub axle wiggle

• Move heap of spoil (may involve digger and dumpers)

• Flatten ruts from Shitefest 2016 (more digger stuff)

• Assess the LNA for MOT stuff

• Antifreeze the Rover 114 GSi

• Prepare Mrs Cyl’s Alfa Giulietta so it can be loaded on a trailer (winter paint project in our home garage)

• Check antifreeze of the cars on the farm

• Replace drive link and test the Allen Scythe (the dangerous mower!)

I am expecting the main hay field to be cut by then, so there will be more room for football, cricket, Frisbee throwing, rounders etc

There will be a loo tent and we’ll provide a gas stove, kettle and fixings for tea, coffee and squash. Mrs Cyl will donate more cider to the cause!

Anybody free 17/18 September

All weather dependent

EXTRA!

Mrs Cyl says her orchard group is running a Traditional Cider Making course on Saturday 17th, in the next village. If anyone is interested in joining in, it’s £45 per person and includes lunch and cider tasting. You learn about the theory and practice of cider-making and also about different styles of cider apple and how to blend them to get the taste you want. Then you prepare, mill and press apples for juice to take home and finish off into proper cider of your preferred type. If you are interested, let me know and Mrs Cyl will provide more information.

post-4787-0-61744900-1471628550_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-54333900-1471628612_thumb.jpg

Sounds good to me!

Can your wife answer a cider question for me. It has been bugging me for years.

Why do some ciders taste like cow shed squeezings. It does puzzle me.

Mrs Cyl says: "It can be caused by several things: yeast consuming nitrogen from proteins during fermentation and leaving sulphur behind, which converts to hydrogen sulphide (like rotten eggs) or the wrong strain of yeast taking over during fermentation or storage. There are some hydrogen sulphide-producing bacteria that can take hold when cider isn't stored properly, or the equipment hasn't been cleaned well. Good cider should taste 'clean', whether it is sweet or dry. Cow shed squeezings are probably best avoided, unless you like that sort of thing?"

Mrs Cyl says: "It can be caused by several things: yeast consuming nitrogen from proteins during fermentation and leaving sulphur behind, which converts to hydrogen sulphide (like rotten eggs) or the wrong strain of yeast taking over during fermentation or storage. There are some hydrogen sulphide-producing bacteria that can take hold when cider isn't stored properly, or the equipment hasn't been cleaned well. Good cider should taste 'clean', whether it is sweet or dry. Cow shed squeezings are probably best avoided, unless you like that sort of thing?" 

Thanks for the clarification :)

Cider...... mmmmmmmm. You essentially had me at 'donate cider to the cause'.

I'd quite like to pop up from the sunny* south coast in the Nissan - probably just for the day though. There are a few little bits and bobs which I'd appreciate a second opinion on with the Almera, though I think relatively little fixerating. Happy to assist others with fixing though!

What is the interior like? I'd be up for helping on that one!

Sanders? Jetwash? Genny?

I can't remember what the interior is like, can anybody else?

I have lent my 2.2 KW genny out and can't remember who to. I have a 700w B&Q but it has never been much good with power tools. I have a mains electric DIY flat plate sander but my DA is air. I have a jet wash but I am not sure getting a water supply, power source and the car together is worth the effort.

If it's an added incentive for anyone, a garage clear out at my parents means there will be some 1990s car brochures and classic bike magazines available. All F.O.C.

I will be bringing a load also; the 'reference library' situation at Chaseracer Towers is beyond ridiculous!

Chris: would it be possible to camp in the field on the Sunday night please?